Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

Post by gremlin »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:31 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:23 am Only an hour long, but fuck me. What a powerful documentary:

Ukraine: Enemy in the Woods

A revealing and moving portrait of lives compromised by war, filmed exclusively by Ukrainian soldiers with extraordinary access to a tightly controlled front line.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001xr50

I urge you to watch it.
I watched a clip of something on the BBC site yesterday, where a fella falls to the ground, says he's been shot and one of his fingers is missing, is it from that?
Yep.

Very sobering. Makes a change from the usual braindead dross. I did notice that whilst this was one BBC2 at 9pm last night, BBC1's prime-time offering was two fellas who made their name on a dance show twatting around Spain.

Telly snob? Me? :D
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Finally got round to watching Babylon 5: The Road Home. Animation (lots of the original cast have 'gone beyond the rim'). It's a bit corny and timey-wimey but it was a jolly romp and was nice to 'meet' all the characters again. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:56 pm Finally got round to watching Babylon 5: The Road Home. Animation (lots of the original cast have 'gone beyond the rim'). It's a bit corny and timey-wimey but it was a jolly romp and was nice to 'meet' all the characters again. :thumbup:
I wanted to like B5, but it just wasn't a patch on TNG. Tho' there was that episode where they restored a ZZR.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:58 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:56 pm Finally got round to watching Babylon 5: The Road Home. Animation (lots of the original cast have 'gone beyond the rim'). It's a bit corny and timey-wimey but it was a jolly romp and was nice to 'meet' all the characters again. :thumbup:
I wanted to like B5, but it just wasn't a patch on TNG. Tho' there was that episode where they restored a ZZR.
Like most series it had peaks and troughs (Battlestar Galactica had a whole season trough) but I liked the Vorlon/Shadow story arc. BG was a bit more DS9 than TNG methinks.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

This came on and I was about to turn it over but was slightly mesmerised by a wig wearing Ben Kingsly! Ended up enjoying a rather odd, but light hearted film. Neither of us know why we enjoyed it though? :crazy:

Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Three Body Problem. Bit meh. Might be a grower?

Unusually for me I hadn't read the books first (though they are in the to-read stack).
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm Three Body Problem. Bit meh. Might be a grower?

Unusually for me I hadn't read the books first (though they are in the to-read stack).
Having read all three, I can't possibly see a way they could make them into a TV series. It would need a budget the GDP of a first world country.

If you do read the books, the 2nd is a bit of a slog. It was translated by a different guy to the first (and third) book.
Didge

Post by Didge »

Coming out on Prime on 11th April. Looking forward to this. :thumbup:

Didge

Post by Didge »

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

'Orses for courses, I suppose. :lol:
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:35 pm
Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm Three Body Problem. Bit meh. Might be a grower?

Having read all three, I can't possibly see a way they could make them into a TV series. It would need a budget the GDP of a first world country.

If you do read the books, the 2nd is a bit of a slog. It was translated by a different guy to the first (and third) book.
I've just watched episode 6 of that and am enjoying it so far.

Unfortunately my modus operandi is that I'll probably watch the rest of the episodes in the first season and never watch any more.
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:23 am Only an hour long, but fuck me. What a powerful documentary:

A revealing and moving portrait of lives compromised by war, filmed exclusively by Ukrainian soldiers with extraordinary access to a tightly controlled front line.

I urge you to watch it.
It looked like a very amateur militia to me, left to their own devices, some quite disturbing stuff on film. The bit at about fifty minutes when the guy approaches the two Russians lying on the floor and (I think) they were trying to surrender, they certainly didn't have weapons up engaging him, but he unloads a full magazine into them, pulls back and then returns to them when they're clearly no threat and finishes them off whilst they're lying there writhing in agony, weeping and dying.

I don't know what rules of engagement they're using but I'd be putting him forward for a court martial.

All through the film the soldiers are explaining how they see the Russians as rats, subhuman, etc.
This kind of uncontrolled militia murdering people willy-nilly is what started it all in the first place.

I'm not starting a political argument, but it was sickening to watch.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Potter wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:14 pm

I urge you to watch it.
It looked like a very amateur militia to me, left to their own devices, some quite disturbing stuff on film. The bit at about fifty minutes when the guy approaches the two Russians lying on the floor and (I think) they were trying to surrender, they certainly didn't have weapons up engaging him, but he unloads a full magazine into them, pulls back and then returns to them when they're clearly no threat and finishes them off whilst they're lying there writhing in agony, weeping and dying.

I don't know what rules of engagement they're using but I'd be putting him forward for a court martial.

All through the film the soldiers are explaining how they see the Russians as rats, subhuman, etc.
This kind of uncontrolled militia murdering people willy-nilly is what started it all in the first place.

I'm not starting a political argument, but it was sickening to watch.
It was interesting that the part you quote was the only section of 'black screen' in the whole hour-long documentary, which clearly indicates that there was serious evidence of war crime there.
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:04 pm
It was interesting that the part you quote was the only section of 'black screen' in the whole hour-long documentary, which clearly indicates that there was serious evidence of war crime there.
There was more than that in the video that I could comment on, those units aren't professional soldiers, they're death squads out there running their own show, but this isn't the thread.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm Three Body Problem.

I've just finished episode 3 and whilst I'm enjoying it I can't help but think it's wrongly named.

Seems to me that with 3 suns and a planet getting kicked around like a gravitational football creating the problems for the inhabitants of that planet, the whole thing is a 4 body problem. But hey ho.

There's a total eclipse of the sun in 6 days time, visible across N. America and with the shadow moving from South West to North East is not only a bloody nose for the Flat earth idiots but an example of our very own 3 body problem.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:59 pm
Sunny wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:24 pm Three Body Problem.
I've just finished episode 3 and whilst I'm enjoying it I can't help but think it's wrongly named.
Is it some sort of Sherlock Holmes reference?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

I urge you to watch it.
If you "liked" that have a look at 20 Days in Mariupol. Filmed by Ukranian documentary crew. Got best Doc at the Oscars.

Having been part of a field surgical team in my youngers days I really felt for the medics in hospital running out of everything and operating under artillety/rocket attacks.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Slenver wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:43 am
Sunny wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:35 pm In advance of Masters of The Air, we've just re-watched Band of Brothers, which remains simply excellent, followed by The Pacific, which had entirely passed me by when it came out.

To be honest, while it was good, you get flung straight into the action with no time to get to know the characters, which didn't make it half as enjoyable as BoB.

Masters of the Air is next...
I missed the Pacific too, been meaning to watch it for years!

MotA has a similar problem though, in that there are a ton of characters at the beginning, most of whom aren't particularly distinguishable in any way. They're just all generic yanks wandering around in flight jackets trying to look cool. It's made worse by the fact that they're often behind flight masks and the main two characters have the same name.

Luckily* the cast gets whittled down quite quickly, and they add a bit of characterisation eventually, so by about halfway through it starts to flow a bit better. Though they then throw in some more characters every now and again, many of whom are never mentioned again.

*Not for them, obvs.
Just finished MotA. It definitely picks up after the first few. Ended up really enjoying it 👍
Of the three, it's a clear second after BoB, with The Pacific trailing behind in third place.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Watched a film last night. First time in a long time so we picked Rocketman. What a pile of shite.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've been watching the new remake of Shōgun on Disney+.

I've never seen the original nor have I read the book. So far I really like it. I always find subtitled shows compelling (all the Japanese characters speak subbed Japanese, the westerners speak English but in the story English is playing the part of Portuguese), presumably because I have to actually pay proper attention and thus the programme draws me in :lol: