In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yorick

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:04 pm For the scale of destruction,it's a miracle there wasn't a big loss of life.
Looked to be early morning when it would have been quiet. Otherwise would have been horrendous.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:04 pm For the scale of destruction,it's a miracle there wasn't a big loss of life.
I'm thinking there must have been something else wrong (with the bridge, not the ship)...as above, you normally design things like this to withstand the impact of a ship. It's shocking just how easily the bridge comes down.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 pm
I'm thinking there must have been something else wrong (with the bridge, not the ship)...as above, you normally design things like this to withstand the impact of a ship. It's shocking just how easily the bridge comes down.
Yeah,maybe it was better it was destroyed at the time it was,rather than when it was full of traffic.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

True, but there are ships and there are SHIPS, I doubt a billion ton cargo ship was even a thought when the bridge was knocked up in 1977.
Add in a decade or two of reduced / no maintenance and you get what you get.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:47 pm
True, but there are ships and there are SHIPS, I doubt a billion ton cargo ship was even a thought when the bridge was knocked up in 1977.
Add in a decade or two of reduced / no maintenance and you get what you get.
Built in 2015, the Dali measures 948 feet in length and nearly 164 feet in width. It can carry about 111,000 tons of cargo on board.
Plus the 95,000 tons of ship.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:08 pm ...as above, you normally design things like this to withstand the impact of a ship. It's shocking just how easily the bridge comes down.
There was a video up somewhere recently of a container ship approaching a dock.

Angle slightly wrong. Took out three cranes. Three fuggin big ones ...

If you use roads as a parallel, a lot of roadside barriers were improved after Selby.

And bridge supports dramatically strengthened about 15 years after concerns. Possibly from terrorist attacks. A lot of infrastructure is now protected by 'hidden in plain sight' measures. The best example are the 2m high 'ARSENAL' stadium letters - each will stop a lorry.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:04 pm The best example are the 2m high 'ARSENAL' stadium letters - each will stop a lorry.
Each one laden with silverwear and trophies being delivered to the club.

Oh, wait....hang on... :think:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:08 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:04 pm The best example are the 2m high 'ARSENAL' stadium letters - each will stop a lorry.

And on that [lorry] bombshell ;)

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm

That's going to need a lot of T-cut. :shock:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

James Heappey, Armed Forces Minister, just resigned, and Robert Halfon, Education Minister, just resigned.

Perhaps a yet to be published tasty opinion poll is behind this?

🍿 methinks
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm James Heappey, Armed Forces Minister, just resigned, and Robert Halfon, Education Minister, just resigned.

🍿 methinks
Have they discovered that the Armed Forces are not well educated?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:24 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm

That's going to need a lot of T-cut. :shock:
Used to see them, 3 on a low loader, being taken away after testing. Not many salvageable parts!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Built in the 1970's, I'm going to guess with some funds/contracts diverted to the local "families" for protection. I'd also suggest the standards back then were much less stringent than nowadays, add to that the ship weighed up to 116000 dead weight tonnes. Also 50 years of sea air won't have done it any good but utlimately I'm not sure what would stop that that sort of weight. Someone said elsewhere that there may not have been "dolphins" around the bridge piers to protect them or at least attempt to divert the ship away from the pier/column but looking at an aerial shot it would appear the boat managed to swerve around something before impact.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Its the new 9/11. One of many arising conspiracy theories... :roll:

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

irie wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:28 pm James Heappey, Armed Forces Minister, just resigned, and Robert Halfon, Education Minister, just resigned.

🍿 methinks
Heappey said a couple of weeks ago that he was going to stand down at the next general election - like 61 others.

They're just rats deserting a sinking ship or maybe they genuinely want to spend more time with their families . . .
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 am

🍿 methinks
Heappey said a couple of weeks ago that he was going to stand down at the next general election - like 61 others.

They're just rats deserting a sinking ship or maybe they genuinely want to spend more time with their families . . .
You have to be out of government office for a fixed period before taking a job related to the position iirc. So a tranche of them are quitting now so they can get ahead of the rush for plum jobs.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:06 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:54 am Two-thirds of accidents occur within 5 miles of home...
97% of all statistics on the internet are made up.

Even if that statistic is correct, it doesn't tell us anything without context. How much of our driving is done within 5 miles of home? If it's more than two thirds then we're safer within that 5 mile bubble.
Maybe, but I didn't make it up; What Car did the fabricating, not me guv...

https://www.whatcar.com/news/most-crash ... home/n5693

And drawing on a shockingly small sample size (one, me) the last accident I had was no more than half a mile from home...
From that article:
Brian Martin, managing director of elephant.co.uk wrote:'Our research suggests that many drivers appear to be in a comfort zone when driving close to home on familiar roads, explaining why such a large proportion of accidents occur there.
Brian Martin obviously doesn't understand his own research. When most of my driving was fairly long distance, most of my accidents (and I didn't have many) were 30, 40 or 50 miles from home. Now, most of my driving is within 5 or 10 miles of home I expect any accidents I have will be within 5 or 10 miles of home. It's nothing to do with a "comfort zone" it's everything to do with where most people do their driving.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

My most recent accident was at the start of a 75 mile journey. Make of that what you will. My initial comment was only intended as a joke, anyway. I suggest you take it up with Brian Martin if it annoys you that much.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Yambo wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 am

🍿 methinks

If they think they are likely to lose their seat, it’s pretty reasonable that they have no wish to waste months campaigning.

Also possible that they have no wish to kick their heels on Opposition benches or in Shadow Cabinet for five years, even if they win their seat.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Maybe they have realised they aren't quite up to the job and have left the way clear for a better person to do it.