Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm 152_350x350_Front_Color-Black.png
Needs a thread as I may buy a concept 2
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:28 pm 152_350x350_Front_Color-Black.png

They used to be a freebie but I think you have to pay now (I guess that's why it's in this thread).

I still have my 1 million metre (free) T shirt. It's a Gildan Ultra Cotton T shirt, worn regularly and 12 years old, but excellent quality, not twisted or 'owt.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:30 am
They used to be a freebie but I think you have to pay now (I guess that's why it's in this thread).

I still have my 1 million metre (free) T shirt. It's a Gildan Ultra Cotton T shirt, worn regularly and 12 years old, but excellent quality, not twisted or 'owt.
Still free at 1, and I think it then it's still free at 5, and 10 etc.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:47 am
Yambo wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:30 am

Still free at 1, and I think it then it's still free at 5, and 10 etc.

Ah, OK. I'll have to wait a bit before claiming a new freebie. I'm just short of 8 million metres. I'm debating whether to sign up for the Nonathlon* this year for a bit of motivation . . .

*https://www.nonathlon.com/
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bought some OEM mirrors for the scrambler for 25 quid pre owned. Absolutely chuffed
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Had a minor splurge at Horrible Fright to put together an "on the road" toolkit for the Dually.
Also picked up some 1/2in drive deep impact sockets & a locking hitch pin doodad.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I'm sure that I've got more than one copy already but I can't find it, we've got a massive library and I was sure it was there, but I couldn't find it, so yesterday I re-ordered Robin Knox-Johnson's A World of my Own because I want to read it again.

An utterly mesmerising read, it's coming today via h'amazon prime, so I'll get stuck into that later over in the annex for a bit of solo time chilling out on my own with some cheese and crackers :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:54 pm I'm sure that I've got more than one copy already but I can't find it, we've got a massive library and I was sure it was there, but I couldn't find it, so yesterday I re-ordered Robin Knox-Johnson's A World of my Own because I want to read it again.

An utterly mesmerising read, it's coming today via h'amazon prime, so I'll get stuck into that later over in the annex for a bit of solo time chilling out on my own with some cheese and crackers :)
I don't read and never heard of him so had a search.
There's a documentary on YouTube which I'll watch later.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:00 pm
Potter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:54 pm I'm sure that I've got more than one copy already but I can't find it, we've got a massive library and I was sure it was there, but I couldn't find it, so yesterday I re-ordered Robin Knox-Johnson's A World of my Own because I want to read it again.

I don't read and never heard of him so had a search.
There's a documentary on YouTube which I'll watch later.
He's very entertaining and a thoroughly nice bloke, another sailor was lost at sea during the round the world race and when Knox-Johnson won and then found out another competitor had died he gave half the prize money to this blokes widow, even though they were nothing to do with him.

The book is a great read.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Have you read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranino-Patr ... 1450245129 ? I remember it as being very good.

Also Southseaman by Weston Martyr
Potter

Post by Potter »

cheb wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:35 pm

Have you read https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sopranino-Patr ... 1450245129 ? I remember it as being very good.

I must have read hundreds of sailing books, I have loads on my kindle, but I don't recall that one, I'll have a look, thanks :thumbup:
Potter

Post by Potter »

It just arrived...
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.43.06 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.43.06 PM.jpg (280.64 KiB) Viewed 240 times
But I had a look back for good reads and I remember these being good ones too.
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.07 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.07 PM.jpg (17.35 KiB) Viewed 240 times
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.14 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.14 PM.jpg (33.6 KiB) Viewed 240 times
cheb

Post by cheb »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:37 pm
cheb wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:35 pm

I must have read hundreds of sailing books, I have loads on my kindle, but I don't recall that one, I'll have a look, thanks :thumbup:
It wasn't available as an ebook last time I looked.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mentioned I'd bought these (DeWalt safety boots) on an earlier post. After a couple of days of use, inc one day when it was wet and a tad muddy in places, I have to say I'm well impressed/pleased. Really comfy, good fit and just right in terms of stiffness etc. Been up and down ladders too.On closer inspection they look v well made too. If they can do it for the money, why are 'good brand' hiking boots twice the price?

Happy bunny. :thumbup: (Happier than with the last pair of hiking shoes I bought, used twice and going to the charity shop tomorrow).

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-pro-l ... ze-9/3180t
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

The rest of my full set of Ford Factory manuals for the F350 showed up today, 4 volumes, 3752 pages. I already had the diesel engine supplement. All five make a stack 8inches thick.

Not quite so "pleasing" was spaffing $2,500 in sales tax & another $498 for a years tags for the F350 at the DMV... AND another $149 for tags for the SBH. Plus $25 to get the F350 weighed (6500lb) AND another $116 to top off the tanks in the F350 (22.8gal ).
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:46 pm It just arrived...

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.43.06 PM.jpg

But I had a look back for good reads and I remember these being good ones too.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.07 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 6.44.14 PM.jpg
I'd never heard of him and just watched an hour long documentary.
Awesome.

But strange how he'd passed me by

As a kid Francis Chichester had the film star status of George Best.

We all knew about Chay Blyth.

And in the documentary they had Chris Bonington who also was super famous.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I gather that Knox-Johnson is not a big PR man, he obviously needs to be in the limelight sometimes to serve his professional purposes, especially if he's raising funding for race teams or selling books, but from the interviews I've seen he's quite humble, as I said he donated the prize money from the round the world race to the widow of one of the other competitors who went missing and was presumed drowned, he didn't make a thing of it and always avoids getting into it if asked during interviews.

I've spoken to people that know him reasonably well and they said he's a really nice bloke.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am I gather that Knox-Johnson is not a big PR man, he obviously needs to be in the limelight sometimes to serve his professional purposes, especially if he's raising funding for race teams or selling books, but from the interviews I've seen he's quite humble, as I said he donated the prize money from the round the world race to the widow of one of the other competitors who went missing and was presumed drowned, he didn't make a thing of it and always avoids getting into it if asked during interviews.

I've spoken to people that know him reasonably well and they said he's a really nice bloke.

Donald Crowhurst was the competitor that went missing. He'd been sending false updates about his progress while he was sailing around the South Atlantic.

It could be assumed he committed suicide. A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols is worth a read (as is his book Sea Change).
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 am
Potter wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:50 am I gather that Knox-Johnson is not a big PR man, he obviously needs to be in the limelight sometimes to serve his professional purposes, especially if he's raising funding for race teams or selling books, but from the interviews I've seen he's quite humble, as I said he donated the prize money from the round the world race to the widow of one of the other competitors who went missing and was presumed drowned, he didn't make a thing of it and always avoids getting into it if asked during interviews.

Donald Crowhurst was the competitor that went missing. He'd been sending false updates about his progress while he was sailing around the South Atlantic.

It could be assumed he committed suicide. A Voyage for Madmen by Peter Nichols is worth a read (as is his book Sea Change).
Yep, I've got that book too, along with loads more on the same subject, Metissier wrote about it too, in fact I think they all have at least one book out on the subject.

The Fastnet 1979 is another subject that produced a lot of books, and a lot of bad feeling about some of them and some of the versions of the story that have been told.