In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
gremlin

Re: In todays news...

Post by gremlin »

It gets worserer in the world of footie shirts...

Row erupts over German football team switching supplier from Adidas to Nike

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-68634777

Gott in Himmel...schweinhund Amerikaners
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
irie

Post by irie »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:26 pm I did wonder if they would be quite so free and easy in changing the colours of Ol' Glory on a USA soccer shirt. Can't imagine the gun-totin', truck-haulin' residents of certain southern states embracing that change.
Or the Saltire? :o
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

irie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:29 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:26 pm I did wonder if they would be quite so free and easy in changing the colours of Ol' Glory on a USA soccer shirt. Can't imagine the gun-totin', truck-haulin' residents of certain southern states embracing that change.
Or the Saltire? :o
Yebbut, most Yanks think Scotland is a small town just west Worscesteretershireham and doesn't have its own flag, so it won't even register.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Surely if you change the colour(s) of a named flag it stops being that flag? Or is that me being too literal?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 pm Surely if you change the colour(s) of a named flag it stops being that flag? Or is that me being too literal?
It would certainly cause confusion when it came to swimming at the beach.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Fark. It has no boundaries :(

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-68641441
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:03 pm Fark. It has no boundaries :(

Forced to go public when they'd rather have dealt with it privately and protected their children from knowing their mum was so ill. Shame on anyone that hounded them to go public.
irie

Post by irie »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:09 pm

Forced to go public when they'd rather have dealt with it privately and protected their children from knowing their mum was so ill. Shame on anyone that hounded them to go public.
We don't know how ill she is, she might have got lucky with the cancer being detected at an early stage. Biopsies, treatment, and time will tell.

Either way, she did the right thing making the televised statement which will hopefully put a stop to all the prurient speculation and conspiracy theories
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I'm calling bullshit.

Clearly she's been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by a replicant. Look at the shadows in the footage and in the top left of the screen you see Biden in the grassy knoll.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

irie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:15 pm

We don't know how ill she is, she might have got lucky with the cancer being detected at an early stage. Biopsies, treatment, and time will tell.

Either way, she did the right thing making the televised statement which will hopefully put a stop to all the prurient speculation and conspiracy theories
I couldn't disagree more. They revealed enough and had the right to protect their children, or should have had the right to do so. But as usual, the gutter press vultures are hovering...
irie

Post by irie »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:15 pm

I couldn't disagree more. They revealed enough and had the right to protect their children, or should have had the right to do so. But as usual, the gutter press vultures are hovering...
What do you "disagree" with?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I'm no royalist,never watched Liz's funeral,Chaz's coronation or any of the weddings but right now my heart goes out to them,they're doing it hard, the paparrazi are going to be all over it & there's 3 young kids to protect.
They should be allowed to get on & overcome the situation in private,but just when they need their privacy & quality family time they'll be getting hounded by the media :thumbdown:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I didn't know space lizards could get cancer!

Sorry, I'm channelling Greenman.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

irie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 pm

The usual. The sense of entitlement, that people have the right to know everything. They don't. A public figure was ill and hospitalised and is now in recovery and has disclosed that, but for some reason, some people think they have the right to know every intimate details of the illness?!n It's invasive and abhorrent. Children know of cancer and the association with it and should not have had to learn that their parent has it. Any parent, whether a public figure or not, should have the right to shield their children from that and deal with it as they see fit, not how the press or public see fit.
irie

Post by irie »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:46 pm
irie wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:20 pm
The usual. The sense of entitlement, that people have the right to know everything. They don't. A public figure was ill and hospitalised and is now in recovery and has disclosed that, but for some reason, some people think they have the right to know every intimate details of the illness?!n It's invasive and abhorrent. Children know of cancer and the association with it and should not have had to learn that their parent has it. Any parent, whether a public figure or not, should have the right to shield their children from that and deal with it as they see fit, not how the press or public see fit.
The point of her public announcement was to try to achieve exactly what you above say is desirable, namely to protect her and her family's privacy. It should not be necessary, but with the gutter press and vultures circling it is.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If you're part of the Royal Family, especially one of the heavy hitters, then this stuff goes with the territory. As with any gig, there are upsides and downsides. This is one of the downsides. (Not cancer, obvs, but press intrusion into every micro detail of your life.)

See also Fame and its attendant drawbacks.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:57 pm If you're part of the Royal Family, especially one of the heavy hitters, then this stuff goes with the territory. As with any gig, there are upsides and downsides. This is one of the downsides. (Not cancer, obvs, but press intrusion into every micro detail of your life.)

See also Fame and its attendant drawbacks.

This.

Loads of people get cancer. some survive, some don't. Most people who get cancer just get on with dealing with it and the outcomes. The only people you hear about in the media are celebs with cancer. It's part of the territory.

You didn't know or care about my wife's terminal, pancreatic cancer and why should you? She was only somebody to her family and me.

You didn't know or care about my partner M's ovarian cancer and why should you?

The Royal Family are public property and you're gonna have to know about everything. It doesn't matter that the cancer is treatable, terminal, messy or painful, it's not about the cancer, it's about public interest. The Royal Family have public interest in spades. As mangocrazy says, it goes with the territory.
irie

Post by irie »

I suspect that the public announcement was made because, as a result of her medical records being unlawfully accessed, information about her cancer diagnosis has been circulating in the background and was likely to be revealed somewhere sooner nor later.

I do not happen to share the widely held belief that those in the public eye deserve whatever publicity they get where private medical conditions are concerned and especially where private medical records have been unlawfully accessed.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Unlawfully accessing private medical records is clearly beyond the pale and should be dealt with by full force of law. But prurient interest in celebrity's lives is part and parcel of the incestuous culture we inhabit. So many people are making so much money out of it that it's effectively ungovernable.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
irie

Post by irie »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:05 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:32 pm Surely if you change the colour(s) of a named flag it stops being that flag? Or is that me being too literal?
It would certainly cause confusion when it came to swimming at the beach.
It certainly would, with only bisexual trans lesbians being allowed to swim. Or something. :lol:

(Image ripped of from the DT)
Screenshot_20240323_091341_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20240323_091341_Chrome~2.jpg (271.6 KiB) Viewed 419 times