Now waiting for an MRI scan …

Living the dream
Crasher!
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:28 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:51 pm
the psycometric type tests - in French FFS!!!
The Spanish have a machine with two handles to test reactions, a car on a screen keeps veering towards the kerb and you're supposed to keep it between the lines. At least that's what I think it's like, I've never seen one. The day I went to do the test the link to Trafico (traffic police) was down so the machine wouldn't work, bloke says "don't worry, you'd pass it anyway". I failed the hearing test so he said I needed a big mirror in the car. There's a reason why the Spanish are such excellent drivers.
I'm hoping that by the time I have to do stuff about the highway code and other stuff I'll have learnt enough of the right phrases to pass !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Drove back from Battle to home, end of Archdeaconry time away, an excellent time of quiet reflection and worship.

Had a "Why Easter" session in the church run by the local Pentecostal Church for my school years 5/6. Really excellent use of quiz games, challenges and a good talk by the pastor. Nice to have a good relationship with other churches in sharing faith.

Met up with someone walking the dog and our two hounds played together very nicely. They have met up a few times now and are enjoying themselves.

Had a meeting with a young lady who is being confirmed on Saturday, she is so looking forward to making the commitment in faith. I let her know that we only use non alcoholic sacramental wine, and as a recovering addict, she can receive in both kinds, so she is so very happy! So good that our pastoral decision to only use that sacramental wine is bearing fruit in faithfulness.

Fetched my wife, had dinner, going to bed soon, I have a very busy three weeks now. At least I love what I am doing!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

My second favourite band was playing tonight in a bar I’ve only been to when they are there 🤣🤣

They are a rockabilly three piece (proper double bass :wub: :wub: ) that i first saw a couple of years ago but I couldn’t dance cos of the broken knee :( :( That time, the lead singer/guitarist was I’ll and there was a stand in. He’s the lead in a rock band (think he’s quite well known locally!!) so some of the songs weren’t quite how I know them, but still blooming good

I’ve seen the bad a couple of times with the normal singer/guitarist and it’s a bit more pure rockabilly - which I love

But, no one else generally wants to go see rockabilly, so I steeled myself to go alone! As I was booping away, two friends did come in. Sadly they don’t dance (well one does a bit, but not to rockabilly! :lol: :lol: :lol: ) - at the sort of halfway point and as the bar was getting busier, the band changed to rock. Luckily really as my legs were dying - an hour and a half (maybe more) of bopping after no dancing in yonks was a shock to the system 🤣🤣

Totally brilliant (and sober!!) night out. Think I might be late for coffee in the morning :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Big meeting this morning, the culmination of a lot of prep work and a very successful morning, so no complaints, but by crikey I don't half love coming home.
I got back home, went and stood on the patio and thought "I absolutely love this place".

There is something about 'home' that makes me feel like no other place on earth.
Mrs Potter is making us a couple of cheeseburgers for lunch and I couldn't be happier :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am Big meeting this morning, the culmination of a lot of prep work and a very successful morning, so no complaints, but by crikey I don't half love coming home.
I got back home, went and stood on the patio and thought "I absolutely love this place".

There is something about 'home' that makes me feel like no other place on earth.
Mrs Potter is making us a couple of cheeseburgers for lunch and I couldn't be happier :)
which home ? UK or t'other ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:36 am
Potter wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:32 am Big meeting this morning, the culmination of a lot of prep work and a very successful morning, so no complaints, but by crikey I don't half love coming home.

which home ? UK or t'other ?
UK matey, the green green grass of home :)
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've just booked the ferry for this years 3 week France & Belgium tour. :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Put up the first 5m length of guttering on my cabin. Need to pick up a couple of bits tomorrow though as there will be a bit of a tweak to the 'design'. (Technical: I bodged a running outlet and an internal stop end together - 'cos that's what I'd got - to make a stop end outlet. I'll pick up a proper stop end outlet and a couple of rainwater diverters - to go into the water butts - tomorrow).

Now waiting for the call to collect my car/give them a kidney - or two. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm procrastinating.

I have to make a dress (going to a wedding in 9 days :o ) and had a pattern and some fabric. Finally dug both out of the box under the sofa only, not enough fabric for the plan (had put off laying it out cos of lack of space, so only realised yesterday :( )

Sooo - I have a plan. I've pinned the top to the bra I'm going to use as the base. But am seriously lacking in mojo to actually do sewing :shifty: :shifty:

I know I'm a last minute kinda person, but I do really need to find some mojo and get this done!! (And then a little jacket for my shoulders! LOL - or I might just take a pashmina! LOL)

Doesn't help that it's bastard raining again - I do so hate rain up here in winter :( :(
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

We live in a cul-de-sac that also happens to be unadopted. We're also easy walking disrtance to the train station, so it's common to find cars dumped in our road in the morning then disappear around 5 or 6 o'clock.

Today some fuckwit parked so badly that he/she/it all but closed the entrance to the road off. So I did this.

DSCF4073.JPG
DSCF4073.JPG (498.76 KiB) Viewed 355 times
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Drove the F350 back from Phoenix (actually about 30 miles East of Phoenix)

Started off a bit slow (75ish), but by the time I'd put 100 miles on it with the snake oil* mixed in the tanks it was humming along at a comfortable 90 :)

* Hot Shots Diesel Extreme. This shit actually works.. & has the added advantage of smelling like I'm running it on rocket fuel. :)

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/diesel-extreme/
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:41 pm We live in a cul-de-sac that also happens to be unadopted. We're also easy walking disrtance to the train station, so it's common to find cars dumped in our road in the morning then disappear around 5 or 6 o'clock.

Today some fuckwit parked so badly that he/she/it all but closed the entrance to the road off. So I did this.

DSCF4073.JPG
Personally I don’t think that’s big or clever.
I understand the gripe and I’d also be inclined to address it, but it would have been a polite and formal notice without the drama.

There are people that probably don’t want to see that sort of language posted in the street. Calling someone a cunt anonymously from afar is unnecessary and cowardly.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yesterday, rather than today, but we got quotes for painting the outside of our house, there is good money in the trades, no wonder they have so many jet-skis and Ford Rangers, the quotes were all around £4k.

The materials are about a quarter of the price and the rest is labour, for what they say is about a weeks work for two people, it's quite a size so I thought it would take longer but I suppose two of them battering away with rollers would make quick work of the main parts. So that's £1,500 a week for a painter and decorator.

And some of them said they could quote but couldn't start until May/June and one was fully booked until August.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

1500 quid for a week's labour ain't mad, in any context, is it?

When I got men in to paint the inside of my house I was astonished a) how quick they lay paint down and b) how much better it looked than anything I could have done.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:53 am So that's £1,500 a week for a painter and decorator.
£70k a year, if they work 52 weeks

Wouldn't get out of bed for that.............would you Mr P?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:40 am 1500 quid for a week's labour ain't mad, in any context, is it?

When I got men in to paint the inside of my house I was astonished a) how quick they lay paint down and b) how much better it looked than anything I could have done.
I got 2 chaps in to paint the outside of the cabin recently. Most of the work was in the prep. Sanded the whole thing because it was stained previously (by me) rather than painted. Treating knots and cracks with 2 part epoxy etc etc. They brush and rollered the primer coat, masked everything and spray painted the final coat. £1200 inc materials (no VAT :thumbup: ). I roughed out they made about £25/hour each. (Took the best part of a week, dodging the weather, probably 2-3 full days otherwise).

Bloody good value for money*. :thumbup:

*Particularly compared with the bill for the car service/MoT yesterday. :(
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:40 am 1500 quid for a week's labour ain't mad, in any context, is it?
Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 am
£70k a year, if they work 52 weeks

Wouldn't get out of bed for that.............would you Mr P?
£72k a year for a painter and decorator seems like good money to me?

I was a project director with one of the big outfits on £75k a year, it's getting on for fifteen years ago I suppose and I know wages have gone up, but that was seen as a tidy wage really.

Even now I'm seeing companies like Serco, Balfours, etc, paying about £85k for directors, so £72k for a painter and decorator seems like good money?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If they're on £70k, is there VAT in that £4k?

(Then they have vans, fuel, kit, insurance and other stuff, winters probably tend to be slack. I doubt many end up with £70k 'in the bank').
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

72k turnover ain't the same as pocketing 72k as a salary though, is it?

Just like Count just said in fact :lol:

Also, a 72k salary generally only requires you to actually work 47 weeks of the year, plus you'd get another few faaahsand in pension contributions.

Plus you probably don't have to deal with the public :D

On the other hand, you do get to laugh at soft palmed nancies like me (and KFB) who can't DIY for shit.