This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: This time next year, President Trump moves back into the Whitehouse...

Post by Count Steer »

sedition /si-dish'ən/
noun
- Public speech or actions intended to promote disorder
- Vaguely, any offence against the state short of treason
- Insurrection (archaic)
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Bwana wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:30 am
Could you provide enough text to get the general idea for those of us not subscribed to the Telelgraph?
https://www.france24.com/en/americas/20 ... l-election
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bwana wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:30 am
Could you provide enough text to get the general idea for those of us not subscribed to the Telelgraph?

Donald Trump has warned of a “bloodbath” if he loses the presidential election in November.

The former president ratcheted up the tension as he addressed supporters at a rally in Ohio on Saturday.

“Now, if I don’t get elected it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole – that’s going to be the least of it, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the country. That’ll be the least of it,” he said.

It was not clear what he meant by “bloodbath”, with his remark coming in the middle of comments about threats to the US car industry.

Mr Trump has still refused to accept that he lost the 2020 election, and has pledged to free supporters jailed for storming the Capitol during the Jan 6 riots.

“You see the spirit from the hostages. And that’s what they are – hostages,” he said, adding that those in jail were “unbelievable patriots”.

The former president is facing a raft of charges in connection with his attempts to overturn his 2020 defeat.

Special Prosecutor Jack Smith has indicted him on four felony charges, including conspiracy to defraud the United States government and conspiracy to obstruct an official proceeding – the congressional certification of Joe Biden’s victory.

In Georgia, Mr Trump, who is one of 18 defendants, still faces 10 charges including six counts of conspiracy.

As well as resurrecting his claims about Jan 6, Mr Trump appealed to his base with an attack on immigrants crossing into the US from Mexico, claiming some had been deliberately decanted from prisons by Latin American countries.

His speech was punctuated with criticism of “stupid president” Joe Biden and other opponents, including Gavin Newsom, the California governor, who he has dubbed “New-Scum”.

Despite leading in the polls and securing the Republican nomination, Mr Trump’s rhetoric has alarmed many within his own party.

Mike Pence, his former vice-president, has said he will not endorse Mr Trump in November. Nikki Haley, his main challenger for the nomination, has also refused to back her former boss, as has Chris Christie, the former New Jersey governor.

Bill Cassidy, the Republican senator for Louisiana, said the former president’s remarks made voters worry about what a second Trump administration might bring.

“The general tone of the speech is why many Americans continue to wonder ‘should President Trump be president?’ That kind of rhetoric, it’s always on the edge – maybe doesn’t cross, maybe does, depending upon your perspective,” he said on NBC News on Sunday.

The Biden campaign wasted little time in seizing on Mr Trump’s remarks. “He wants another Jan 6 but the American people are going to give him another electoral defeat this November because they continue to reject his extremism, his affection for violence, and his thirst for revenge,” said James Singer, a spokesman.

“This is who Donald Trump is – a loser who gets beat by over seven million votes and then, instead of appealing to a wider mainstream audience, doubles down on his threats of political violence.”

Steven Cheung, a Trump campaign spokesman, sought to defend the former president’s remarks, saying he was talking about the US economy and not threatening political violence. “Crooked Joe Biden and his campaign are engaging in deceptively out-of-context editing,” he said.

Mr Biden, meanwhile, aimed a few light-hearted barbs at Mr Trump when he appeared at the annual Gridiron Dinner in Washington on Saturday.

“One candidate is too old and mentally unfit to be president,’ he said. ‘The other is me.

“Just yesterday, a defeated-looking man came up and said: ‘I’m being crushed by debt. I’m completely wiped out.’ I said: ‘Sorry, Donald, I can’t help out.”

Underpinning the jokes is a Democratic strategy to use humour to defuse the controversy over Mr Biden’s age, with the majority of voters believing the 81-year-old president is too old to serve another term.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:21 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:18 pm So did you miss the insurrection at the end of his reign ?
It has been quite well documented of channels other than Fox.
Perhaps you could provide a list of all the people charged with, & convicted of *insurrection*?

as for "quite well documented".. list all the channels that showed the part of his speech where he said "peacefully protest" etc?

Seditious conspiracy
Main article: Planning of the January 6 United States Capitol attack
On March 2, 2022, Oath Keeper Joshua James pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy, admitting in his plea that "from November 2020 through January 2021, he conspired with other Oath Keeper members and affiliates to use force to prevent, hinder and delay the execution of the laws of the United States governing the transfer of presidential power."[100][101] Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, also of the Oath Keepers, were found guilty of seditious conspiracy on November 29, 2022.[102] Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years and Meggs to 12 years.[103]
On June 6, 2022, five members of the Proud Boys—their leader Enrique Tarrio, together with Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, Ethan Nordean and Dominic Pezzola—were indicted for seditious conspiracy.[104] On May 4, 2023, all but Pezzola were convicted. A few months later, they were sentenced. Pezzola was sentenced on September 1, 2023.[105]
List of Proud Boys and Oath Keepers members sentenced for seditious conspiracy[106][107][108][109][110]
Defendant Age Affiliation Residency Plead Recommended sentence Prison sentence
Enrique Tarrio 38 Proud Boys Miami, FL Not guilty 33 years 22 years
Joseph Biggs 38 Ormond Beach, FL 33 years 17 years
Zachary Rehl 36 Philadelphia, PA 30 years 15 years
Ethan Nordean 31 Auburn, WA 27 years 18 years
Dominic Pezzola 45 Rochester, NY 20 years 10 years
Stewart Rhodes 56 Oath Keepers Granbury, TX 25 years 18 years
Kelly Meggs 54 Dunnellon, FL 21 years 12 years
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 am Seditious conspiracy
On March 2, 2022, Oath Keeper Joshua James pleaded guilty to seditious conspiracy, admitting in his plea that "from November 2020 through January 2021, he conspired with other Oath Keeper members and affiliates to use force to prevent, hinder and delay the execution of the laws of the United States governing the transfer of presidential power."[100][101] Stewart Rhodes and Kelly Meggs, also of the Oath Keepers, were found guilty of seditious conspiracy on November 29, 2022.[102] Rhodes was sentenced to 18 years and Meggs to 12 years.[103]
On June 6, 2022, five members of the Proud Boys—their leader Enrique Tarrio, together with Joseph Biggs, Zachary Rehl, Ethan Nordean and Dominic Pezzola—were indicted for seditious conspiracy.[104] On May 4, 2023, all but Pezzola were convicted. A few months later, they were sentenced. Pezzola was sentenced on September 1, 2023.[105]
List of Proud Boys and Oath Keepers members sentenced for seditious conspiracy[106][107][108][109][110]
Odd, still can't see "insurrection" in your post. Are you having issues finding anyone convicted of the crime the media keep talking about?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:01 am Donald Trump has warned of a “bloodbath” if he loses the presidential election in November.

The former president ratcheted up the tension as he addressed supporters at a rally in Ohio on Saturday.

“Now, if I don’t get elected it’s going to be a bloodbath for the whole – that’s going to be the least of it, it’s going to be a bloodbath for the country. That’ll be the least of it,” he said.

It was not clear what he meant by “bloodbath”, with his remark coming in the middle of comments about threats to the US car industry.
It was perfectly clear what he meant. The comment came right after he said he would put a 100% tariff on Chinese cars coming into the US & was talking about what would happen to the US auto industry if he couldn't do that.
Did you not know that.. or did you decide to ignore the context for the sake of trying to appear *informed* by whatever media outlet you get your garbage from?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:48 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:06 am Seditious conspiracy
Odd, still can't see "insurrection" in your post. Are you having issues finding anyone convicted of the crime the media keep talking about?
sedition /si-dish'ən/
noun
- Insurrection (archaic)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Did a transfer this morning for an American chap. He brought up politics and I said I wasn't going to comment - he laughed but politely requested that I do. So, with the caveat that I don't read the news and most of what I've read is written by mates (including a red neck Kernow) but said I really CANNOT understand how anyone thinks Trump will be good for the US as President again or how, out of the whole of the states, they are only coming up with two ancient blokes as candidates.

His reply? "that's because you are intelligent" :shock: :shock: :shock: (It's rare that word is used about me - I mean, I'm not stupid but I do hide my intelligence quite well at times!)

Interestingly (to me), for a bloke that works in money/wealth management and money markets, his comment was that IHO Biden, despite his faults (old age/mental tiredness), is far less dangerous than Trump

We carried on about politics and agreed that nationalism hides racism quite often and the UK and US aren't the only places leaning that way :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 pm Did a transfer this morning for an American chap. He brought up politics and I said I wasn't going to comment - he laughed but politely requested that I do. So, with the caveat that I don't read the news and most of what I've read is written by mates (including a red neck Kernow) but said I really CANNOT understand how anyone thinks Trump will be good for the US as President again or how, out of the whole of the states, they are only coming up with two ancient blokes as candidates.

His reply? "that's because you are intelligent" :shock: :shock: :shock: (It's rare that word is used about me - I mean, I'm not stupid but I do hide my intelligence quite well at times!)

Interestingly (to me), for a bloke that works in money/wealth management and money markets, his comment was that IHO Biden, despite his faults (old age/mental tiredness), is far less dangerous than Trump

We carried on about politics and agreed that nationalism hides racism quite often and the UK and US aren't the only places leaning that way :( :( :(
I like: Patriotism is the love of one's country, nationalism is the hatred of others. As said by Romain Gary.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:23 pm sedition /si-dish'ən/
noun
- Insurrection (archaic)
I guess "Jan 6th Sedition" doesn't sound scary enough.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:34 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:28 pm Did a transfer this morning for an American chap. He brought up politics and I said I wasn't going to comment - he laughed but politely requested that I do. So, with the caveat that I don't read the news and most of what I've read is written by mates (including a red neck Kernow) but said I really CANNOT understand how anyone thinks Trump will be good for the US as President again or how, out of the whole of the states, they are only coming up with two ancient blokes as candidates.

I like: Patriotism is the love of one's country, nationalism is the hatred of others. As said by Romain Gary.
That's basically what the conversation said too!! (He probably knows the quote! I didn't!! LOL)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden is now wearing giffer slippers to help him stay on his feet instead of his arse.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm Biden is now wearing giffer slippers to help him stay on his feet instead of his arse.
Laughing at disability. Classy
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:15 pm Laughing at disability. Classy
People laugh at mine, I couldn't give any less of a fuck. Feel free to point out where I laughed at Biden's disability... oh wait, I didn't.
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:41 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:15 pm Laughing at disability. Classy
People laugh at mine, I couldn't give any less of a fuck. Feel free to point out where I laughed at Biden's disability... oh wait, I didn't.
So the point of posting wasn't to highlight it, emphasising anything? Yeah, right ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

LOL!
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:19 pm Biden is now wearing giffer slippers to help him stay on his feet instead of his arse.
And Trump wears heel lifters to make himself appear taller, because of this he has to stand on toes pads when speaking to avoid falling forward. He drags his right leg, which is a possible sign of a stroke.

Honestly, what ever you say about Biden, someone can immediately find something about Trump. He's hardly the shining light of health is he? In fact, I'd wager he'll have a stroke or pull far sooner than Biden.

Race to the bottom!!!! Embarrassing tbh.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pmThe comment came right after he said he would put a 100% tariff on Chinese cars coming into the US & was talking about what would happen to the US auto industry if he couldn't do that.
Question - why do Americans by Chinese cars (and Trump's requirement of a 100% tariff on them)?

Is it because American cars are shite?

Maybe instead of blaming the Chinese someone should tell the US auto makers to make cars that aren't shit and that people might actually want to buy.

Is he going to punish European and Japanese manufacturers as well. Or just the Chinese?
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Lutin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm Question - why do Americans by Chinese cars (and Trump's requirement of a 100% tariff on them)?

Maybe instead of blaming the Chinese someone should tell the US auto makers to make cars that aren't shit and that people might actually want to buy.

Is he going to punish European and Japanese manufacturers as well. Or just the Chinese?
No fucking clue, can't ever recall seeing a Chinese car in the US. We have absolute shit EV buses on the roads here that are made in the US by a Chinese company. In fact they're made right here in town after the Major's brother did a questionable land deal with them & they built the factory. The employee turnover is off the chart & there are all sorts of issues with the Labor Board (or whatever the hell it's called).
If he was going to punish the Japanese & European manufacturers, wouldn't he have done that when he was POTUS before? Yanno, if he had enough time while he was "destroying democracy"..
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Lutin wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:50 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:14 pmThe comment came right after he said he would put a 100% tariff on Chinese cars coming into the US & was talking about what would happen to the US auto industry if he couldn't do that.
Question - why do Americans by Chinese cars (and Trump's requirement of a 100% tariff on them)?

It's not an issue. It's Trump prattling on in a fashion to goad his supporters into random acts of stupidity. That's his MO, work his fans up into a lather and get them to send cash and/or buy shitty campaign garbage, vote for him, act like idiots, rinse lather repeat.

Evidently there are five cars sold in the US that are manufactured in China. The Lincoln Nautilus, Buick Envision, Volvo S90, Polestar 1, and Polestar 2. There is no dealer network established for Chinese badged cars in the US. Polestar is mostly handled through Volvo dealerships.

The pricing of Chinese cars does pose a potential threat to the market in the US.