What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by mangocrazy »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01 am Killed a pigeon with my head. A first for me and a first for the pigeon.
That's one more than my cat has ever managed.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:01 am Killed a pigeon with my head. A first for me and a first for the pigeon.
I bet it got your attention too,even a small bird on the head at speed is a jolt. I do most of my riding in the countyside,so I've knollered everything from pigeons and blackbirds to a couple of pheasants. I'm happy to report the pheasant didn't collide with my head. Had a goldfinch up the ram air scoop on the ten once. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Felix

Post by Felix »

I was riding with the visor open when a bee got me and wedged between almost the ear hole and the helmet. Bee was fine just stuck and buzzing away like mad. I was in quite fast flowing traffic so could not just stop. Had this hitch hiking buzzing bastard for a minute or two. When i took the helmet off it flew away back in the direction i had came from. Probably pissed off as he is now late for wherever he was going.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Her little bee buddies will never believe her alien abduction story either.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

In my early biking days when open face and 'jet' style helmets were still a thing I was riding past the Staffordshire show ground (home of Classic Bike shows) when I saw this wasp heading my way. It flew into the side lining of the helmet, thrashed around for a bit, then stung me before exiting out the back of the helmet. Little bastard escaped before I could exact retribution.

Wasp 1, young Mango 0

Immediately after that I bought a clip on visor so that any future flying insects would get a headache, and not me. In retrospect it could easily have put my eye out, even though I was wearing glasses.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:15 pm Her little bee buddies will never believe her alien abduction story either.
Every time she is on the Nectar the same story will be getting told while all the other bees are sitting around rolling there eyes. Here we go again.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I also hit a swarm of green fly. This was not that long ago and i think i was doing around 70 and slowing for a 40 zone. Visor was instantly covered. No wiping was ever going to help. Had to open the visor to see to slow down and stop. My jacket was green and red as was the bike. Never experienced that many before and probably never will again.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:14 pm I was riding with the visor open when a bee got me and wedged between almost the ear hole and the helmet. Bee was fine just stuck and buzzing away like mad. I was in quite fast flowing traffic so could not just stop. Had this hitch hiking buzzing bastard for a minute or two. When i took the helmet off it flew away back in the direction i had came from. Probably pissed off as he is now late for wherever he was going.
I 'sieved' a bumble bee once :( :(

I saw it flying in my general direction and I was moving my head to avoid it (well, to avoid it hitting my visor cos it was a big bugger) and in those few seconds I managed to avoid it hitting the visor BUT my old Arai had a 'grille' type thing over the mouth, which was open cos it was damn hot that day :( :(

Yup, the bastard bumble bee hit the grille and I ended up with a mouthful of sieved bumble bee bits :sick: :sick: :sick:

I was unimpressed - probably not as unimpressed as the Bumble bee if it had had any idea what was going to happen tho
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've had my second migraine in two days :( :( For someone that might perhaps get one a year, I'm a bit annoyed. Especially cos I've managed to avoid the headache after the eye disturbance (ocular something?), but these two seem to be making me a bit wobbly before and after the eye disturbance :( :(

I've finished work early because of the one today and my boss is having a strop because he thinks I'm faking it to go watch the rugby :roll: Absolutely no way I can go watch in a bar right now, so I'm just listening to this match (at least that's making me happy for the moment!!)

I bloody hate migraines :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've had a few bee/wasp stings over the years and hit a few pigeons but never killed one with my head until today.

I'd just overtaken an Audi coming off of a roundabout, one smug moment later I saw a pigeon taking off in front of me - no time to react - clonk on the chin at around 70mph and still accelerating. Yup! That hurt. I carried on while waiting to see if I'd passed out or not - showing no fear because of the Audi I'd just overtaken. Got to the petrol station and no sign of the impact apart from a smudge on my helmet. I saw it lying in a pool of its own feathers on the way back up the road :cry:
Lockdown refugee
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Got to bed at 01.30 after launching both lifeboats at 10.30 to look for a missing person, who was going to jump into the local river. Fortunately she informed her mother, which bridge she was going to jump from.
Initially she could be located - so we had to send out the ALB to search the local coastline

Found at 12.10 am so alls well.

However today has been a bit wasted as for some reason I woke up at 06.00 :hmmm:

Tonight is an Italian meal with stepson and his family at local Italian, for Moofetta's birthday.
What's the chance of having to leave for a boat launch?
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

IMG_20240316_172011.jpg
IMG_20240316_172011.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Been sanding 150sqm of floor today. Hired a ponceuse de parquet just for the job.
After about an hour, swmbo decided I was having far too much fun and wanted some of the action!
IMG_20240316_171923.jpg
IMG_20240316_171923.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 226 times
Result of her ' this is so easy!' statement!
At least I know the rcb work just fine!
Last edited by Sadlonelygit on Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Been to the aquatic plants centre for some newt and dragonfly friendly pond plants.

Potted some up in baskets and put them in the pond. Had to roust a few newts out of the way otherwise they'd have had plants on their heads (they hide in the 'soil' on the bottom of the pond).

Pleased to see them though, it means the pond is reaching some sort of equilibrium. :thumbup:

Got loads of stuff like aquatic mint and water forget-me-not to put in the margins tomorrow.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

On a similarly gardening theme.

Finally dug out the dead Box hedge stumps. Those little cunty caterpillars had the remaining lot last year and also took up bungy jumping outside my front door.

Need to find something to take its place now.
Horse

Post by Horse »

On a ismilarly gardening theme.

Local council giving away soil conditioner. AKA food waste composted. So collected some.

Opened the sliding garden gate to a loud cracking as the 6" square post broke at ground level :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I got the bike ready for a trip to West Britain starting next Sunday. First, a ride to Midhurst to buy cake. Then added more clear, protective tape where the panniers may rub and fitting the pannier mounts. I also gave it a clean and checked the chain tension and oil - all good and ready to go.
Lockdown refugee
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

First mow of rhe lawn this year - 2 hours of my life gone....
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I just know everyone is eagerly waiting for another kitchen update...
Attachments
419569395_7141263772575756_3101225310236707959_n.jpg
419569395_7141263772575756_3101225310236707959_n.jpg (243.63 KiB) Viewed 199 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:55 pm I just know everyone is eagerly waiting for another kitchen update...
Moar work,less banging the quality street in yer face. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:59 pm Got to bed at 01.30 after launching both lifeboats at 10.30 to look for a missing person, who was going to jump into the local river. Fortunately she informed her mother, which bridge she was going to jump from.
Initially she could be located - so we had to send out the ALB to search the local coastline

Found at 12.10 am so alls well.

However today has been a bit wasted as for some reason I woke up at 06.00 :hmmm:

Tonight is an Italian meal with stepson and his family at local Italian, for Moofetta's birthday.

What's the chance of having to leave for a boat launch?
Turned the power off at Dolescum (Moulescomb) for a suicidal male, he was carted off by the Police so turned the power back on.

Cooked a fry up as well

Z
IMG_1218.jpeg
IMG_1218.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 180 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."