Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yambo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:59 am
Yeah it won't be easy but for obvious reasons cars are designed so that they can't run away, brakes of course being the ultimate final resort.

This runaway Jag story just smells so fishy. So many things would have to go wrong for the car to run away and then for you to not be able to "overpower" it.

Doubly so in a leccy car where the brake boost and the drive motors are independent systems.
It's very fishy.

All he had to do, surely, was to turn the key - given that there is a key. Even if there isn't a key there is going to be some way of creating a permanent disconnection between motor and wheels, like neutral in a gearbox. How else can you leave the car overnight?
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Most leccy cars....virtually all in fact, can't think of an example where it's not the case...are fixies, there's no way to disconnect the motor from the wheels. There's no need! Motor will just freewheel if you push the car. A very few have a 2 speed gearbox, but there's no neutral.

If the electronic motor control systems broke its very very very unlikely they'd break in such a way as the drive the motor. More likely it'd just spazz out and refuse to go. It takes pretty fine control to actually make it drive.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

The runaway Jag story is very fishy . I read in one account ( can't remember DT or BBC ) it was the second time it had happened , after Jaguar gave it the all clear following the first event .
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

Current electric cars just don't fit the bill for me either. Style matters, and range anxiety is a real concern.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I suspect like one someone murders an intruder, they get charged so their innocence can be proven?
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:28 pm I suspect like one someone murders an intruder, they get charged so their innocence can be proven?
Murder has to be premeditated, so unless you have machine gun nests set up with a killing zone in the kitchen/diner, more likely to be manslaughter, which in the course of defending you and yours, is hard to prove, unless you batter the fucker after they have ceased resisting or chase them down and inflict instant justice!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:07 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:28 pm I suspect like one someone murders an intruder, they get charged so their innocence can be proven?
Murder has to be premeditated, so unless you have machine gun nests set up with a killing zone in the kitchen/diner, more likely to be manslaughter, which in the course of defending you and yours, is hard to prove, unless you batter the fucker after they have ceased resisting or chase them down and inflict instant justice!
My bad, I should have said killed not murdered…
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:07 pm
I thought the difference was that murder is an intentional act be it premeditated or not, manslaughter is unintentional.
These definitions are probably flexible depending on the amount of social media outrage but neither is as bad as cutting down a Sycamore tree.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Mussels wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 pm I thought the difference was that murder is an intentional act be it premeditated or not, manslaughter is unintentional.
These definitions are probably flexible depending on the amount of social media outrage but neither is as bad as cutting down a Sycamore tree.
Yebutt. Sycamore trees don't just grow on...

Oh. As you were. :oops:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:28 pm I suspect like one someone murders (kills) an intruder, they get charged so their innocence can be proven?

Nobody has to prove their innocence, the state has to prove their guilt.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I've had two friends killed and the killers then convicted of manslaughter. One of them I'll put a link below, the first was back in the 80's. A friend, Colin McGregor, had words with a couple of pikies in a pub in Wood Green, London. The pikies went back to their caravans and when Colin left the pub they were waiting outside with a baseball bat each and beat him to death. They didn't mean to kill him, only teach him a lesson, both got seven years.

Ray Eden: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sou ... e-14509571
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:13 am I've had two friends killed and the killers then convicted of manslaughter. One of them I'll put a link below, the first was back in the 80's. A friend, Colin McGregor, had words with a couple of pikies in a pub in Wood Green, London. The pikies went back to their caravans and when Colin left the pub they were waiting outside with a baseball bat each and beat him to death. They didn't mean to kill him, only teach him a lesson, both got seven years.

Ray Eden: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sou ... e-14509571
4years and 9 months! Ffs I bet he was out after 3 years. 🤬
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

NHS dropping leccy ambulances as they only get 70 miles to a 4 hour charge, compared to an ice 800 miles and refill in minutes.

Horse

Post by Horse »

One news story (DM & Telegraph seem to have similar, word for word) says:

Standard ambulances can cover up to 800 miles a day

Later in the article:

Standard ambulances cover 800 miles a day

That's a continuous 33mph for 24 hours, non-stop. Doesn't sound realistic, unless at the very top end of 'up to' and solely involving very long, high-speed, transfers.

On calls I attend, crews typically spend an hour at the scene. Even on a recent incident where they needed to get going to A&E very quickly, it was probably at least 20 minutes from arriving to leaving.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Probably makes more sense as a sentence if you replace "can" with "could". As in, they could do that, but they don't. I'd guess in Central London for example they do like 2.8 miles a day or whatever.

I would imagine the problem with an ambulance is the uncertainty of when you need it. Plus the absolutely piss poor planning of the NHS ;)

Wouldn't be my first choice of EV application.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm.
I would imagine the problem with an ambulance is the uncertainty of when you need it. Plus the absolutely piss poor planning of the NHS ;)
There's a surprising amount of planning required for ambulance despatch. It's not just what's nearest, also needs to account for imminent breaks, etc.

And that's assuming they're not stacked up at A&E.

Longest drive I've heard of is 45 minutes / 25+ miles, cross-country.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:47 am NHS dropping leccy ambulances
Have you got a link? All I can find are several sites saying the NHS are expanding their trials to more areas.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:20 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:11 pm.
There's a surprising amount of planning required for ambulance despatch. It's not just what's nearest, also needs to account for imminent breaks, etc.

And that's assuming they're not stacked up at A&E.

Longest drive I've heard of is 45 minutes / 25+ miles, cross-country.
I suspect the issue is charging times, rather than range.
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couldn't the ambulance plug in at the house at each call?

Then have bit more time to care for each patient.

Wins all round :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:42 pm Couldn't the ambulance plug in at the house at each call?

Then have bit more time to care for each patient.

Wins all round :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Only if he doesn't take power from the kettle :)