Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Dodgy69

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by Dodgy69 »

Ktm bat it is.👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:07 pm You know you want to...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KTM-690-SMC- ... SwETxehI76
I'll give dealer a chance when the insanity is over and we're allowed out, I'll borrow something from them and see where we end up.

But arguably, if the 690 were to be swapped to something, then yes, it should be that. :thumbup:
crust

Post by crust »

:lol: :clap:

You're a bad, cruel man. Excellent.

It's there, he can't see it, can't test ride and now he'll be cooped up in his garage looking at the current one knowing that an SMC-R, the holy grail of 690s is in his favourite dealership, just up the road.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm

It's there, he can't see it, can't test ride and now he'll be cooped up in his garage looking at the current one knowing that an SMC-R, the holy grail of 690s is in his favourite dealership, just up the road.
I've ridden that very bike, 3 times.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Same as his innit?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:54 pm This is just a bookmark for what will be the 690 thread :)

Image2020-03-13_10-11-16 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Very different

DW.

Post by DW. »

Shit yeah, go the sumo weeksy. Heaps betterah, you could even go for a stretch in the dirt on it.
Ooh yeah, spoked wheels, you'd love that, would keep you occupied for hours. Keeper for sure.

Anyone owned a 690 enduro r?
Known as 10 second Tommy (which has nothing to do with drag racing)
Also 2 stroke Tommy (which has nothing to do with motorcycles)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:41 am
crust wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I'm amazed he hasn't already done a deal on it.
1. it's the weekend. Shops are shut
2. IT's Covid-19 dealers are shut
3. I've emailed 4 dealers.
4. Not exactly sure what more i could do ?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

10secondTommy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 am Anyone owned a 690 enduro r?
My mate got one end of last summer. Fully on rail raid kit, looks like a Dakar bike with full on ugly massive faring, 2 extra fuel tanks, nav tower the works. He got it to do some rallys on this year as he was struggling off road on his 1190. He picked up some modded Ohlins enduro forks and shock over winter.....and all the rallys have been cancelled due to CV19 :(

Not had a chance to ride it yet to see how it compares to my Duke. Same engine but it's about 10ft tall and very bouncy.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

What's comfort like on the SMC to ride? When I sat on one I was glad I went the Duke route. The seat on the SMC was rockhard and very narrow I thought, whereas the Duke's is lovely for a good few hours. Also felt like it had a very limited steering lock.

My old 625 SMC seat I got used to after a while, but if I'd not ridden it for a few weeks the first ride was painful after about 60 miles.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 am What's comfort like on the SMC to ride? When I sat on one I was glad I went the Duke route. The seat on the SMC was rockhard and very narrow I thought, whereas the Duke's is lovely for a good few hours. Also felt like it had a very limited steering lock.

My old 625 SMC seat I got used to after a while, but if I'd not ridden it for a few weeks the first ride was painful after about 60 miles.
It's no duke in terms of comfort, but the longest ride I usually do is sub 1 hour, usually 20-25 mins more often.

As you'll have gathered, i'm a little torn on this one. the SMCR is prettier and more what i wanted when i first went down the single cylinder route on bikes, but it's compromised in a focused way compared to the Duke, along with not having the ability to fit a tail pack etc.

But it does have a quickshifter, along with fully adjustable suspension and be more 'Supermoto' of course.

I can see the merit in both/either... but at the moment the Duke is pissing me off with it's stupid error.

Maybe if i could get out and ride the bugger it would help me. But i'm still torn as to whether that's allowed, even though we do need some shopping, i don't think getting 7 bananas and 4 pints of milk is in the spirit of things.
crust

Post by crust »

There's a couple - husband and wife in my local TRF, had several. Been round the world on them, done the TAT and loads of other trips, absolutely love them. Had their latest pair stolen doing the TET.

Replaced them with Husky 701s for their latest epic -on hold at moment. Dave's very quick on his.

Another guy in the Oxford TRF takes his missus off-roading on theirs. Goes well two up, even on the nadgery bits.
DW.

Post by DW. »

crust wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:06 am
There's a couple - husband and wife in my local TRF, had several. Been round the world on them, done the TAT and loads of other trips, absolutely love them. Had their latest pair stolen doing the TET.

Replaced them with Husky 701s for their latest epic -on hold at moment. Dave's very quick on his.

Another guy in the Oxford TRF takes his missus off-roading on theirs. Goes well two up, even on the nadgery bits.
Yeah right, very good, I was thinking about getting one as I barely use the 500 for pure off road, more gravel and the odd forest trail.
It's not really geared for the high speed open dirt stuff and needs twice as much maintenance as an old clunky lc4 would, and full off road it's a bit too much bike for me. I would be better off going back to what I had before (300 2 banger) for full off-road and the 690 enduro r for the adventure style dirt road stuff.
Thanks [mention]crust[/mention] and [mention]Supermofo[/mention].

Well I'll be farked, I finally got mentions working [mention]weeksy[/mention] and stop winging about the duke mate, ditch it and buy that motard, most fun you'll ever have. Don't worry about groceries, they make cars to transport that shit.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

10secondTommy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:22 am

Well I'll be farked, I finally got mentions working @weeksy and stop winging about the duke mate, ditch it and buy that motard, most fun you'll ever have. Don't worry about groceries, they make cars to transport that shit.
LOL you never got them working, I did :)

They're closed, LOL... closed closed closed.
DW.

Post by DW. »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:48 am
10secondTommy wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:22 am

Well I'll be farked, I finally got mentions working @weeksy and stop winging about the duke mate, ditch it and buy that motard, most fun you'll ever have. Don't worry about groceries, they make cars to transport that shit.
LOL you never got them working, I did :)

They're closed, LOL... closed closed closed.
I know you did, wasn't trying to take credit for that. I was trying the whole @ shit in your thread about mentions working now and they wouldn't work for me there, check this out @weeksy or [mention]weeksy[/mention]
I figured out you have to type 2 letters after the @ symbol and pause and wait, then the list of names comes up. More of a personal goal.

You know from the other forum, I still have my special break in tool if you want that smc.
DW.

Post by DW. »

Harry wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:33 am I couldn't touch the floor properly on the enduro.
Saying that, I couldn't properly touch the floor on any of my KTM race bikes - but to be fair you don't need to in an MX race.

The SMCR would be a perfect bike for me as well*, I'm rarely out for more than an hour - unless I'm on one of the classics and on a run.
But if I had an SMCR I'd have a very blinged one, the standard one doesn't look trick enough.

*if I could touch the floor at traffic lights.
Ducks disease ay? Just tape a bit of 4x2 to the heel of your boot.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Worked like a dream when i started it today, i give up LOL

In other news, saw a reply to my comment on PB forum
Mine does the same. I got an instrument panel software upgrade and it lasted a few weeks but came back again. Dealer advised to disconnect battery AND multiplug to instrument panel for an hour. Seemed to sort it but returned again after a few weeks - I guess it's battery voltage related. Fitted a lithium battery to see if it gives a more stable voltage
LOL
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Get a pre 2016 wind up model. Only got to worry about exploding rocker arms then :lol:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just to add Weeksy...on the tracer 900, if you run the bike in gear on the centre stand,(chain lubing) the naughty way, you can get a fault light and needs a dealer to get rid... These modern bikes are sensitive things.
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:16 pm Just to add Weeksy...on the tracer 900, if you run the bike in gear on the centre stand,(chain lubing) the naughty way, you can get a fault light and needs a dealer to get rid... These modern bikes are sensitive things.
I hear you, honest. But you've seen my pics, my bikes, I need things 100%, every minute of every day. I don't accept less than that.

Hence why I'm struggling at times. The only bike that wouldn't be a massive mistake is the 690smcr, but it could arguably be a tiny one.

That's why I've not done this yet and I'm still pondering