Ideas for a small business?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Ideas for a small business?

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:53 am
I know a couple of craft materials supplier businesses for sale that pay OK if you're prepared to put the hours in, do the craft fairs etc. The owners are getting old and it's a lot of work. If we were younger we'd be interested in one of them, quite fancy going on the road doing the fairs each season. It would probably need a longish handover learning the ropes though.
Mrs Potter does that, she does craft type arty stuff, she only does it for fun but she covers the cost of her own art stuff and she loves car boots and craft fairs, so it's a cost neutral way of doing stuff that she enjoys.

We have loads of workshop space at home, enough for me to actually employ a few people and for them each to have a work station, I've also got a double garage and workshop with lathe, mill, etc. So I suppose I don't need to pay rent. We have an annex/granny flat type space at one end of our property with it's own entrance, so people could come and go and it wouldn't interfere with the other part of the house. I could turn it into an actual shop I suppose, but I don't know about planning or anything.

Best idea I've come up with so far is that I'll advertise a workshop type service, I'll frame your pictures, weld you a wood storage frame, knock you up something on my lathe, maybe take on small fix-it jobs, etc. I'll do it from our workshop space and see how it goes.
Maybe I'll take on small handyman type jobs.

And/or tart up the granny flat and AirBnB it, our village is popular and even garden 'lodge' type accommodation (basically a fancy garden shed type thing) is going for £100 a night! Our annex is very old and quirky, it's an old cottage on its own with a bathroom, kitchen area, mezzanine floor for a bedroom, etc.

Maybe I'll even abandon my morals and buy a couple of properties to let, that would be a part-time job keeping those going.

Anyway...I'm just musing and waffling...
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:36 am
Horse wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:07 pm
Stuff
I just want to do something that covers bills and keeps me busy.
I'd give it five days a week, six or seven if it's fun and
Sister-in-Law had a long-held dream of having her own shop. Eventually, had a sequence of 4 shops in 2 towns, over 10 years or so.

They were open 6 days a week. But that didn't mean 'free' on Monday. That was buying stock and preparation, etc. Her husband also worked in the shop, did the web and accounts stuff too. Taking time off, holidays, etc., meant either closing or finding someone to stand in. Or just not going.

It also meant working with the public - some (and their kids) had absolutely no respect for her stock, potentially damaging and just walking out.

Most successful event was the closing down sale. Customers like locusts. One bought a display shelf off the wall. A couple even said what a lovely shop and stock ...

I doubt they made much profit over the years, for all of the effort.

But it got the idea out of her system. If you're desperate to do something, go ahead. Make it something you'll enjoy.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:14 am The wife showed me something the other day, a Cacao shamen.... No, really.

He's charging £50 for some Cacao with different ways of making it, all with non-animal products and a 'lifestyle' that goes with it... Apparently it is the greatest thing in the world .... Bemused... oh yes. Spiritual healing and all that shit.

https://www.keithscacao.com/pages/meet- ... ate-shaman

This was the guy who this guy got the idea from..

https://www.google.com/search?q=cacao+shamen

I bet he's raking it in !!!
Pretty sure there was some fruit-loop on Dragons Den a few weeks back trying to tout that shite......
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:14 am The wife showed me something the other day, a Cacao shamen.... No, really.

He's charging £50 for some Cacao with different ways of making it, all with non-animal products and a 'lifestyle' that goes with it... Apparently it is the greatest thing in the world .... Bemused... oh yes. Spiritual healing and all that shit.

https://www.keithscacao.com/pages/meet- ... ate-shaman

This was the guy who this guy got the idea from..

https://www.google.com/search?q=cacao+shamen

I bet he's raking it in !!!
Pretty sure there was some fruit-loop on Dragons Den a few weeks back trying to tout that shite......
Yup, that was him. fruitloop to you and me.... i bet he's getting fairly wealthy now.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Interesting figures on turnover and profit.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Precautions:

Cocoa contains a variety of chemicals, including antioxidants called flavonoids. It's not clear how these might work in the body, but they appear to relax the blood vessels. This could lead to lower blood pressure, and reduce inflammation and blockage of blood vessels.

People most commonly use cocoa for heart disease and high blood pressure. It is also used for high cholesterol, memory, aging skin, and many other conditions, but there is no good scientific evidence to support these other uses.

Cocoa can cause allergic skin reactions and might also trigger migraine headaches. It can also cause nausea, stomach discomfort, constipation, and gas.

Cocoa can cause allergic skin reactions and might also trigger migraine headaches. It can also cause nausea, stomach discomfort, constipation, and gas.

Children: Dark chocolate products, which contain high amounts of cocoa, are possibly unsafe for children. These products can contain high levels of lead and cadmium, which can cause serious health issues in children. There isn't enough reliable information to know if other chocolate products, which usually contain lower amounts of cocoa, are safe in children.

Anxiety: The caffeine in cocoa might make anxiety disorders worse when consumed in large amounts.

Bleeding disorders: Cocoa can slow blood clotting. Consuming a lot of cocoa might increase the risk of bleeding and bruising in people with bleeding disorders.

Heart conditions: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might cause irregular heartbeat in some people and should be used cautiously in people with heart conditions.

Diabetes: Cocoa seems to be able to raise blood sugar levels and might interfere with blood sugar control in people with diabetes.

Diarrhea. Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa, especially when taken in large amounts, can make diarrhea worse.

Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD): Cocoa might make the symptoms of GERD worse.

Glaucoma: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa increases pressure in the eye and should be used cautiously in people with glaucoma.

High blood pressure: Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might increase blood pressure in people with high blood pressure. But for people who consume caffeine regularly, it might not be a big increase.

Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS): Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa, especially when taken in large amounts, can make diarrhea and IBS symptoms worse.

Rapid heartbeat: Cocoa from dark chocolate can increase heart rate.

Seizures: Cocoa contains caffeine. High doses of caffeine might cause seizures or decrease the effects of drugs used to prevent seizures. If you have ever had a seizure, don't use high doses of caffeine or caffeine-containing products such as cocoa.

Weak bones (osteoporosis): Cocoa contains caffeine. The caffeine in cocoa might increase how much calcium is released in the urine. People with osteoporosis should limit their intake of cocoa.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Maybe a more alpha , flat capped and barbour-wearing ( and undoubtedly more interesting) version of TMF? :D ;)

Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 am
Yup, that was him. fruitloop to you and me.... i bet he's getting fairly wealthy now.
He might make some money, but would you want to be him?

I've made my money and I'm not interested in it anymore, I know it sounds weird wanting to run a business for something other than making money but honestly I'm about as interested in money as I am in ice-skating on Mars, so I'm genuinely not interested in the finance side of anything as long as it washes it's own face, this is about something to do that is potentially enjoyable, perhaps a bit of a challenge and fills the day with something interesting for a time until it's time to wind right down and be a proper retiree.

My missus wants an old fashioned sweet shop, but I think that would quickly wear thin as well.
We found out that the hardware shop is for sale, that sounds a bit more interesting, it's been there decades in the same ownership, so it must at least have paid a wage - unless he's actually a closet drugs barron as well :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well the answer is of course "what interests you"

I know what interests me, but i'm not seeing a way of even breaking even running a MTB DH team... or even just spannering MTBs (i probably could though)...

So what's something that jumps out at you that you could spend 8-10 hours a day doing day in day out.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:45 am
So what's something that jumps out at you that you could spend 8-10 hours a day doing day in day out.
That's the thing, I like doing loads of things but not sure I'd want to do it 8hrs a day, five days a week.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 am
That's the thing, I like doing loads of things but not sure I'd want to do it 8hrs a day, five days a week.
There's your answer :)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Erm - what does the village need?
What are the surrounding activities?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Deal with the general public???

Are you f*cking kidding me? I'd rather spend my day up to my neck in fertiliser.
non quod, sed quomodo
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:05 am Erm - what does the village need?
What are the surrounding activities?
Someone in our village (population about 2000) decided that it needed a nail bar. We already have one, two doors away. You'd think everyone in the village would need their nails bejazzled (hand AND feet) to support two nail bars.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Our local towns seem to fill their empty shops with Turkish barbers and nail bars. A few chairs rented out whilst you cream off the top sounds good. Something more interesting that is popular round here are farm shops/markets. They’re are basically more expensive corner shops with a few artisan products scattered within. Likewise, The farmers markets are more fast food outlets, than produce, where the impoverished spend more on food than they need to, or could do, elsewhere. I can’t believe how many of my colleagues buy over priced grub at this place every week. https://www.lfm.org.uk/markets/bloomsbury/
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:19 am Deal with the general public???

Are you f*cking kidding me? I'd rather spend my day up to my neck in fertiliser.
:lol:

I met a mate of a mate last week and he told me we works as a paramedic in ambulances. I gave him a bit of respect via a fist bump as i have a lot of respect for people who do that job helping people on a daily basis, he came back to me with "nah mate, it's crap, everyone is a wanker now, i hate it" which was probably accurate but a bit disappointing!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:56 am

I met a mate of a mate last week and he told me we works as a paramedic in ambulances. I gave him a bit of respect via a fist bump as i have a lot of respect for people who do that job helping people on a daily basis, he came back to me with "nah mate, it's crap, everyone is a wanker now, i hate it" which was probably accurate but a bit disappointing!
I've not encountered it yet but I've heard that, post-covid, public attitudes have deteriorated. A greater 'I want' attitude. Filly is seeing it from parents in schools too.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:53 am
Choose one. Do it one day a week, see how it develops. If well, expand it. If not, can it. If 'ok', do another.

Or, if the money is irrelevant, volunteer your expertise.

Or volunteer out of your comfort zone, make it a challenge too.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:20 am

I've not encountered it yet but I've heard that, post-covid, public attitudes have deteriorated. A greater 'I want' attitude. Filly is seeing it from parents in schools too.
It's that kind of attitude that "drives" the poor standards of driving that have been reported on regularly since the Covid lockdowns.
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mates son is a paramedic. The stories he tells me makes me wonder why anyone does the job. He gets attacked, spat at, abused and even his time wasted by lonely people. Junkies are his biggest source of annoyance !