Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MrLongbeard

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by MrLongbeard »

Best invention since auto stop / start was fitted to a car;

Count Steer

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Count Steer »

First car I had with autostop I turned it off every trip...for about a week. Never bothered about it after that and never think about it, start is near instantaneous. (I know not all cars are the same...at the traffic light grand prix once in my old (auto) Volvo I heard the other contestants car cough into life from somewhere behind me...but it must have been an early implementation as it was a while ago and the other car wasn't new).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:30 pm
I've never known any of these systems to take more than 2s to start, usually much less than 1s IME, and if you can't time/judge your pull away to account for that you're probably doing something wrong :think:
It takes around a second to restart but also there is a lag on the acceleration. So, even with the engine on, from a standing start I have to account for the delay in the vehicle actually getting moving when I'm looking at gaps in the traffic (roundabouts are the main issue as folks here are slightly random on them!). Add in the time to get the engine started to the lag in acceleration and it makes things 'interesting'. I never go for a gap if the engine isn't already going!!

I may well be doing something wrong, but I've not worked out what it is yet, so I just kill the stop start once out of town (well, out of Annecy!) and then I only have to account for the lag in acceleration :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:00 pm
It takes around a second to restart but also there is a lag on the acceleration. So, even with the engine on, from a standing start I have to account for the delay in the vehicle actually getting moving when I'm looking at gaps in the traffic (roundabouts are the main issue as folks here are slightly random on them!). Add in the time to get the engine started to the lag in acceleration and it makes things 'interesting'. I never go for a gap if the engine isn't already going!!

I may well be doing something wrong, but I've not worked out what it is yet, so I just kill the stop start once out of town (well, out of Annecy!) and then I only have to account for the lag in acceleration :D :D
In my car, it will only switch off once per stop.

If yours is similar, perhaps just touch the throttle to get the engine started? (Foot on the brake too)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's what I do in mine sometimes, typically if I'm waiting at a junction. Just touch the accelerator and it will start and then stay on even if you never let go of the brake. You have to go through a move -> stop cycle again before it switches off.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

All this stuff you have to go through to defeat a function that you never asked for in the first place...

I buy old tat (current 4 wheeled vehicles date from 1980, 2002 & 2005 respectively) but when I do eventually need to buy a car with stop/start it will be turned off permanently, I can assure you.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There's certainly a certain demographic who are most opposed to it. :D

It's basically invisible to me. Don't even think about it, even when I'm accounting for it. Like changing gear or using the wipers.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:54 pm There's certainly a certain demographic who are most opposed to it. :D
Yeah, that's me... :D But then I'm also able to switch on the wipers when the rain is persistent enough and really prefer a manual, cable operated handbrake...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:52 pm All this stuff you have to go through to defeat a function that you never asked for in the first place
What like press one button once per journey, yeah it's taxing all right.

If I was in a company car or PCP, then I'd not bother and let it do it's thing, but in my own car, nah shut it off every time
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That Honda "maximum number of starts" thing is super weird though. I asked the old hands over at the mothership, I can assure you at least one German OEM doesn't do that on their stop/start system :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:04 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:52 pm All this stuff you have to go through to defeat a function that you never asked for in the first place

If I was in a company car or PCP, then I'd not bother and let it do it's thing, but in my own car, nah shut it off every time
I'd forget and it would annoy me. At least, I think it would; not having ever owned a car with s/s I can't actually be certain. But in general I tend to operate on the KISS principle, and s/s definitely doesn't.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm

I'd forget and it would annoy me. At least, I think it would; not having ever owned a car with s/s I can't actually be certain. But in general I tend to operate on the KISS principle, and s/s definitely doesn't.
You soon learn and it becomes an automatic gesture
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:16 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm

You soon learn and it becomes an automatic gesture
Two fingers or one? :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I specifically turn the super eco start/stop on in my car when I get in :lol: S/S is always on, if you put the drive train in eco mode it'll also kill the engine when you're moving and "sail" as above.

Also does loads of other very clever drive train switcheroony stuff based on camera and sat nav data, which is very much not KISS : :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Buy a hybrid, ICE stops at traffic lights but electric power gives you the edge in the traffic lights GP.

:mrgreen:
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pm I specifically turn the super eco start/stop on in my car when I get in :lol: S/S is always on, if you put the drive train in eco mode it'll also kill the engine when you're moving and "sail" as above.

Also does loads of other very clever drive train switcheroony stuff based on camera and sat nav data, which is very much not KISS : :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yes, totally different way of viewing the world. I'm from the era when complication = unreliability. These days that isn't necessarily the case, as modern manufacturing, production and research methods have made stuff much more reliable. But given a complicated structure and a simple one, I'll take simple every time.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The most unreliable (powered) vehicle I own...have ever owned...is also by far the simplest :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:43 pm The most unreliable (powered) vehicle I own...have ever owned...is also by far the simplest :lol:
It's also older than you... :)

That's a low blow - bringing Triumph into the conversation... :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pmeco
The one button in my car that never gets touched, OK I get a pretty light show when driving all boring like, but it also restricts the temperature the AC will achieve :flame:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:15 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:20 pmeco
The one button in my car that never gets touched, OK I get a pretty light show when driving all boring like, but it also restricts the temperature the AC will achieve :flame:
One of the nice things about an over complicated car is customisable profiles :thumbup: I only have the drive train in Eco, interior climate stays in "Comfort" for exactly that reason :D

The AC pump is leccy too, so it doesn't rely on the engine. In fact my car has no belt driven anything.