Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigyin

Re: Riding bucket list... What do you have ?

Post by Bigyin »

formula400 wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:17 pm I’d like to have a go on a current litre bike. See what all the fuss is about.
Thats an easy one to sort, pop down to a dealer and take one out :thumbup:

For me i have done the big Northern European tour and around Scotland and bits of the Uk, just fancy the Spain and Italy tour now. Might be able to sort it in the next couple of years as the missus seems interested in that trip too.

Always wanted to ride Western US as well but keeps getting kicked down the priority list as well as a trip to an off road school in the UK. Maybe one day in next few years as i dont bounce as well as i used to when falling off ;)
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

NZ again for me. Top half of N Island (Coromandel, Bay of Islands) - haven't done it yet, and we'd go back to the S Island again. Great roads, great weather if you time it right, and we stayed in some excellent BnBs. V friendly, helpful, interesting people, and I think that's the best way to explore a new country - they're interested in you because you're on a bike, and you get to spend time with the locals. You don't get that in a campervan or motels. We used VFRNZ and would again.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:11 pm
Always wanted to ride Western US as well but keeps getting kicked down the priority list as well as a trip to an off road school in the UK. Maybe one day in next few years as i dont bounce as well as i used to when falling off ;)
Are you thinking big adventure bike off reading or enduro bikes? I’ve done a couple of enduro days which were good fun, now I’d like to try taking the Caponord on some green lanes.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Are you thinking big adventure bike off reading or enduro bikes? I’ve done a couple of enduro days which were good fun, now I’d like to try taking the Caponord on some green lanes.
Enduro bikes Cam, possibly the Mick Extance or that sort of thing
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 pm now I’d like to try taking the Caponord on some green lanes.
Feck me you're brave, there's some round Thetford in Norfolk that might be a good place to start, they're marked on OS maps (Byways Open to All Traffic) I don't have a trail bike at the moment, otherwise I'd offer to show you round them.
Honda Owner
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:56 am
Beancounter wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:27 pm now I’d like to try taking the Caponord on some green lanes.
Feck me you're brave, there's some round Thetford in Norfolk that might be a good place to start, they're marked on OS maps (Byways Open to All Traffic) I don't have a trail bike at the moment, otherwise I'd offer to show you round them.
Stupid more like. Only thinking light green lanes/fire roads, nothing muddy as I've got the mountain bikes for that. I've got a Caponord (ETV1000, not the 1200) for commuting but because I'm working from home 90% of the time now it's not seeing as much use. Was on a group Capo ride last year that took us on an unpaved path up through a wind farm somewhere in the Brecon Beacons, was nicely different from road riding without being very challenging.
Last edited by Beancounter on Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 pm

I did a day with Rob Morris Trail Riding in Llangollen on a recommendation from Diablo and Sloth. Covered about 80 miles of green lanes a KTM 250. Quite a large group, probably about 12 of us IIRC. Emphasis was very much on doing rather than talking. Was an excellent day out with a lot of variety and very few tarmac roads.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

If I can get a Rockster across Salisbury Plain (just), then I'm sure Beanie can get a Capo down some green lanes. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:23 am
If I can get a Rockster across Salisbury Plain (just), then I'm sure Beanie can get a Capo down some green lanes. :D
Didn't your engine blow up?

I think you should put some knobblies on Rock 4 and head to Salisbury Plain with me. :P :D
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:34 am

I think you should put some knobblies on Rock 4 and head to Salisbury Plain with me. :P :D
That was heading to the 2nd rideout, the first was fine apart from heavy mud when we had to cross a ploughed field where the farmer had ploughed the bloody BOAT. The only issue with the Rockster off-road is that the front mudguard collects mud like you wouldn't believe - it was barely able to rotate after that field.

IIRC this was earlier in the day when that "puddle" in the background swamped 2 or 3 of the GSs. I (and a couple of others on road-oriented bikes) found a slightly drier way around it!

I'd be up for another day of off-roading next year when it's a touch drier. :) (and I've had the chance to do more than a couple of hundred miles of riding!).
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:10 pm

That was heading to the 2nd rideout, the first was fine apart from heavy mud when we had to cross a ploughed field where the farmer had ploughed the bloody BOAT. The only issue with the Rockster off-road is that the front mudguard collects mud like you wouldn't believe - it was barely able to rotate after that field.

IIRC this was earlier in the day when that "puddle" in the background swamped 2 or 3 of the GSs. I (and a couple of others on road-oriented bikes) found a slightly drier way around it!

I'd be up for another day of off-roading next year when it's a touch drier. :) (and I've had the chance to do more than a couple of hundred miles of riding!).
What tyres were you using out of interest?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Beancounter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:37 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:10 pm

What tyres were you using out of interest?
IIRC Pirelli Scorpion (Trail?) - not sure if they still do them. Because it was just 1 day off-roading I wanted 'some' off-road tread, but the vast majority of the usage of the tyre was on-road, so I wanted something biased that way. As I remember, they were fine on the road (no different really to my preferred Diablo Stradas or Angels, apart from longevity), and not that bad off-road.
non quod, sed quomodo
Le_Fromage_Grande

Fuck that for a game of soldiers, I'll stick to lightweight bikes with proper knobblies
Honda Owner
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:30 pm Fuck that for a game of soldiers, I'll stick to lightweight bikes with proper knobblies
It was a bloody good fun, (if tiring), day out. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Love to go back on track, not been on one in nearly 10 years. :D

I really fancy green laning too. A mate of mine recently consolidated his 3 bike collection into one Africa Twin and did the Honda off road school. Now he spends a lot of weekends on BOATs. He rode almost all the way from his house in Essex to our place in MK without using the road.

Sadly having a 3 year old child means I don't have much money or time for motorbike adventures. Well its not that sad TBF, shes worth it. :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:51 pm Love to go back on track, not been on one in nearly 10 years. :D

I really fancy green laning too. A mate of mine recently consolidated his 3 bike collection into one Africa Twin and did the Honda off road school. Now he spends a lot of weekends on BOATs. He rode almost all the way from his house in Essex to our place in MK without using the road.

Sadly having a 3 year old child means I don't have much money or time for motorbike adventures. Well its not that sad TBF, shes worth it. :D
I used to go from Ipswich to Bishops Stortford nearly all off tarmac (BOATs are roads) it used to take all day, and in winter bits of it were impassable without decent knobblies - there's a byway near Cambridge known locally as "the Somme" for good reason.
Honda Owner
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Ridden to and through lots of Europeright down to Greece, but never ridden in Scotland. Now I live in south east Spain, it seems to the ideal place to head for!

And attend a few more MotoGP's. This years trips to Austin, a few European rounds and Sepang had all the travel and hotels booked but destroyed by Covid.

Can't think of another bike I'd like to own, so happy to stick with what I've got. Makes me realise I have no ambition though!
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Whysub wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:02 pm Ridden to and through lots of Europeright down to Greece, but never ridden in Scotland. Now I live in south east Spain, it seems to the ideal place to head for!

And attend a few more MotoGP's. This years trips to Austin, a few European rounds and Sepang had all the travel and hotels booked but destroyed by Covid.

Can't think of another bike I'd like to own, so happy to stick with what I've got. Makes me realise I have no ambition though!
South east Spain to Scotland is ambitious. :thumbup:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:02 pm

Don't know if you'll be able to read these but Bike magazine's December issue did a one-page feature on the Mick Extance Experience:
Attachments
Mick Extance 2.PNG
Mick Extance 2.PNG (526.38 KiB) Viewed 784 times
Mick Extance 1.PNG
Mick Extance 1.PNG (662.4 KiB) Viewed 784 times
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Many years ago (pre-marriage) I had planned an Alexander the Great tour but things went a bit too Taliban and I shelved the idea. I saw a Michael Woods documentary on the subject and it inspired me. It is is still lurking in my subconscious, awaiting for some reasonably stable regimes to appear.