NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Skub

Re: NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Post by Skub »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:00 pm Just out of I interest what you getting mileage wise out of the 6s front and rear?

I think I've done about 4k on the 5s I have now and the rear has a little flat spot but nothing dramatic and I can't feel it yet when riding. There's loads of tread left though. Be interesting at what point I bin them probably through profile rather than tread. Front still feels pretty good
The current mileage on the 6s is 5183 rear and 8957 front. Both tyres are down to the markers,but just about still legal. I'll change them sometime in the Spring. Handling wise,it's getting hard work now.

I was quite surprised at the mileage,as I usually get sub 4k from a rear and the front not far away from the same. I didn't even get mileage like that on the scooter.

Maybe old age and preservation has set in. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:22 pm
Supermofo wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:00 pm Just out of I interest what you getting mileage wise out of the 6s front and rear?

I think I've done about 4k on the 5s I have now and the rear has a little flat spot but nothing dramatic and I can't feel it yet when riding. There's loads of tread left though. Be interesting at what point I bin them probably through profile rather than tread. Front still feels pretty good
The current mileage on the 6s is 5183 rear and 8957 front. Both tyres are down to the markers,but just about still legal. I'll change them sometime in the Spring. Handling wise,it's getting hard work now.

I was quite surprised at the mileage,as I usually get sub 4k from a rear and the front not far away from the same. I didn't even get mileage like that on the scooter.

Maybe old age and preservation has set in. :lol:
MV5BNWJlNzA4OGQtYjJjNS00ZDljLTgwOGEtYzU4ODhiMDFhYTllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BNWJlNzA4OGQtYjJjNS00ZDljLTgwOGEtYzU4ODhiMDFhYTllXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTE1NjY5Mg@@._V1_.jpg (132.79 KiB) Viewed 864 times
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Fitted the new Oxford heated grips yesterday. Lovely simple design with one button and LED indicator on the left grip. Red high and white middle and blue low. The led dims after a minute or so so as not distracting. They power off after 15 seconds if the bike isn’t running. They simply connect to the two battery terminals so probably the easiest things to wire in ever. In the back of my mind I think I’d rather they were from a switched power supply but I can’t find any mention of battery drains anywhere…

Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:32 am Fitted the new Oxford heated grips yesterday. Lovely simple design with one button and LED indicator on the left grip. Red high and white middle and blue low. The led dims after a minute or so so as not distracting. They power off after 15 seconds if the bike isn’t running. They simply connect to the two battery terminals so probably the easiest things to wire in ever. In the back of my mind I think I’d rather they were from a switched power supply but I can’t find any mention of battery drains anywhere…
The latest model is a lot tidier. I've always disliked that Lego block controller.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Great service from M&P and Demon Tweeks!! :thumbup:

Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

There's something oddly pleasing about the look of fresh tyres
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:26 pm There's something oddly pleasing about the look of fresh tyres
I remember Derek Chittenden telling me a tale about him being in a tyre fitting warehouse and there being a chap who was gently rubbing his hands over tyres so he could feel the little fronds that stick up as a result of the tyres being released from the mould.

This chap was stroking the tyres in the way you'd stroke a cat or a dog and was saying quietly (but just about audibly) 'how can they do this to you...?'

Nowt so queer as folk...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:26 pm There's something oddly pleasing about the look of fresh tyres
Wish my wife thought the same. She thinks they make the spare room look a mess! :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

New tyres are on! Saved myself £70ish but scratched the rims,so that was a waste of time. :roll: Still pleased to have got them on though. Hopefully get a bit of a road test in tomorrow?

Bit miffed at the new heated grips tbh. They work brilliantly, but the button is a stiff little sod, but I suppose it has to be or you could knock them on or change the settings otherwise. But what miffs me is they are supposed to turn off automatically, but they don’t, well they will, but only when the battery reaches 12.8v! That’s borderline on a flat battery for most Fi bikes.

There is a switched 12v socket near the battery, so I could set up a relay system easy enough but it’s a faff taking the panels off. We’ll see how things go…

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Well, they certainly made the difference I hoped for. :) The bike rides much more smoothly now and turns like it should and feels taller too. With the Trail/Deathwings You had to really haul it over as it just didn't want to turn in, then once over it felt like it dropped! Most disconcerting! :crazy: Not normally a fan of pilots, but after the Deathwings they feel like they have a lovely smooth and neutral turn in. Super pleased with them and the bike's only flaw has now been remedied! Its a keeper alright! :thumbup:
David

Post by David »

Is it for sale yet?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Sadly for poor old Pietin it's more a case of whether it's nicked before he decides to sell.

Sorry @Taipan just thinking about your previous with this type of bike and how it's a scroat magnet.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buckaroo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:23 pm Sadly for poor old Pietin it's more a case of whether it's nicked before he decides to sell.

Sorry @Taipan just thinking about your previous with this type of bike and how it's a scroat magnet.
Statistically speaking, it's actually far from the most nicked bike. Small scoots are much more likely to be taken, but then there are a lot more of those available. From the bigger autos that scroates favour, I believe the Tmax is a much bigger risk.

When I picked my nicked X-ADV up from the Police yard, the amount of scoots there was incredible, but also notably a lot of Yamaha MTs of various engine sizes? One thing I did find out is just how easy bikes and cars are to nick! Put immobiliser bypass into an eBay search, then choose what vehicle you want to nick... :thumbdown:

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364618945376 ... R_Cl-qGvYw
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:33 pm
Buckaroo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:23 pm Sadly for poor old Pietin it's more a case of whether it's nicked before he decides to sell.

Statistically speaking, it's actually far from the most nicked bike. Small scoots are much more likely to be taken, but then there are a lot more of those available. From the bigger autos that scroates favour, I believe the Tmax is a much bigger risk.

When I picked my nicked X-ADV up from the Police yard, the amount of scoots there was incredible, but also notably a lot of Yamaha MTs of various engine sizes? One thing I did find out is just how easy bikes and cars are to nick! Put immobiliser bypass into an eBay search, then choose what vehicle you want to nick... :thumbdown:

Suzukis seem exempt ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:39 pm

Suzukis seem exempt ;)
No one bothers with them. Too slow... :lol:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Suzukis seem exempt ;)
Hopefully Guzzis too! :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 4:42 pm

Suzukis seem exempt ;)
No one bothers with them. Too slow... :lol:
It's cos the chavs already have Suzuki's so they go after the 'posh' bikes :lol:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Come on Pietin we must be due an update of some sort. It's getting boring!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buckaroo wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:57 pm Come on Pietin we must be due an update of some sort. It's getting boring!
Lol, nothing to say really, as its just bang on for what I want it for. It doesn't need anything doing, so i've no tales of interesting mods either. Just a very happy owner of a bike i'm very pleased with and I cant see it going anywhere for weeks yet! :? :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've forgotten what the current perfect bike is :(