Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
MingtheMerciless

Re: Box Sets, Mini series, films, etc.

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Challenger: Final Flight, on Netflix. A pretty good introduction to Engineers v Politics.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

The Bob Marley story- One Love

As a big Bob fan, and knowing a bit about his life, I was looking forward to this, but it was a disappointment- I didn't find the way Bob's character was portrayed convincing or engaging, and overall it was a bit of a B or C movie and a lot duller than it could/should have been, sort of like it had been severely sanitised/dumbed down- the saving grace was the tunes, but TBH there wasn't as much of that in it as I would have expected either....
We saw it in the local (ish) Everyman so there are a lot worse ways to spend an evening, but the film itself gets a maximum 5/10 from me :thumbdown:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Classic, lol!

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Also in a Space Shuttle theme, on BBC IPlayer, Columbia, the shuttle that fell to Earth. Very good but I did get a bit angry in places at the arrogance and complacency of NASA management , like the lessons of Challenger had been forgotten (depressingly it reminds me of where I work).
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am Also in a Space Shuttle theme, on BBC IPlayer, Columbia, the shuttle that fell to Earth. Very good but I did get a bit angry in places at the arrogance and complacency of NASA management , like the lessons of Challenger had been forgotten (depressingly it reminds me of where I work).
I'll have to watch that. I watched the Netflix Challenger doc this week. Amazing that they made the decision to fly knowing what they did!! Sad that the mistakes repeated themselves with Columbia.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The Man who knew too much. Classic Hitchcock! :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Jut finished Season 1 of The Handmaids Tale. :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Just watched The Commitments. Can't quite believe it's taken this long to get round to watching it!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

McNab wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:44 am Masters of the Air just started on Apple TV.

It's the spiritual successor to Band of Brothers/Pacific but set around the US B-17 bomber division in based in the UK.

Seems quite good so far but still can't resist that Spielberg/Hanks quirk of having the English be twats.
I'm really disappointed with this and not a patch on Band of Brothers which I am now rewatching for the 4th or 5th time. The CGI is so bad it distracts from the story and they ripped off some scenes from Memphis Belle almost shot for shot.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Love/Hate on ITVX - bit like Top Boy but years earlier in Dublin :thumbup:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:52 am Also in a Space Shuttle theme, on BBC IPlayer, Columbia, the shuttle that fell to Earth. Very good but I did get a bit angry in places at the arrogance and complacency of NASA management , like the lessons of Challenger had been forgotten (depressingly it reminds me of where I work).
Just watched the 3rd part last night, very good watch. The big dilemma they had i suppose was, do you tell the crew they could possibly all burn up on re entry due to possibly wing damage caused be foam. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Watched a couple of films at the weekend....

Saltburn - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17351924/?ref_=ttqu_ov_i

Gets a thumbs up from me. Richard E Grant and Rosamund Pike are outstanding in it. Not the most original of stories, but a great film. Amazon Prime

The Favourite - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5083738/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Regency drama with Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone. Surprisingly good. Netflix.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

gremlin wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:36 pm Watched a couple of films at the weekend....

Saltburn - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt17351924/?ref_=ttqu_ov_i

Gets a thumbs up from me. Richard E Grant and Rosamund Pike are outstanding in it. Not the most original of stories, but a great film. Amazon Prime

The Favourite - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5083738/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Regency drama with Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz, Emma Stone. Surprisingly good. Netflix.
I watched The Favourite a week or two back, it was ok.

I started watching Poor Things (same director innit), it's ok, but I turned if off after an hour, I'd got bored and wasn't expecting to see much more of Emma Stones tits
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:42 pm Jut finished Season 1 of The Handmaids Tale. :thumbup:
Approaching the end of series 3 now. TBH Id have bailed on it, as its so slow at times, but the wife is into it. Anyone else stuck with it?
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Taipan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:42 pm Jut finished Season 1 of The Handmaids Tale. :thumbup:
Approaching the end of series 3 now. TBH Id have bailed on it, as its so slow at times, but the wife is into it. Anyone else stuck with it?
Yep, watched the entire set of series and episodes.

Considering some of it wasn't by the original author, Margaret Attwood, it was very well done and worth watching :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buckaroo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:28 pm

Considering some of it wasn't by the original author, Margaret Attwood, it was very well done and worth watching :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Its very dark in its filming and set where its cold and snowy and that probably kicks my SADS in! :D I am enjoying it in the main, but I start to lose interest at times. I feel it could have been edited down to keep a better momentum, but thats just from my POV as my wife is pretty enthralled with it as it is.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The original book is, in essence, season 1.

After that it went a bit downhill as they milked the udder for television 'til it was very sore indeed.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Taipan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:41 pm

Its very dark in its filming and set where its cold and snowy and that probably kicks my SADS in! :D I am enjoying it in the main, but I start to lose interest at times. I feel it could have been edited down to keep a better momentum, but thats just from my POV as my wife is pretty enthralled with it as it is.
I know. I too reached moments of ' that's enough ' but my wife stuck with it, as did I. All in all, a good watch :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Potter

Post by Potter »

I watched that Ferrari film on a flight yesterday, it's not great but it's not bad, better than the De Niro film about the 'injuns.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Buckaroo wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:26 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:41 pm

I know. I too reached moments of ' that's enough ' but my wife stuck with it, as did I. All in all, a good watch :obscene-drinkingcheers:
We bailed on it. I suspect we’ll return but even the wife got bogged down by it. We watched The Gentlemen tv series, very good in a distinctly Guy Ritchie way!