World’s Safest Motorcycle Jacket

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Horse

World’s Safest Motorcycle Jacket

Post by Horse »

HotAir, your search is over.

Please welcome ....

Safety is incredibly important when you’re riding, but it just so happens that it’s directly dependent on visibility in traffic. Raylier is aiming to offer the world’s safest motorcycle jacket, with the second version of its LED jacket of the same name.

Raylier is a French company that first started making headlines in 2018, when they announced the Raylier jacket, a specially designed jacket that featured LED lights on the chest, back and arms, meant to make riders more visible in traffic. They’re now crowdfunding for the second version, which brings considerable improvements, more models, and the same promise of a safe – and quite stylish – ride.

You promise the world’s best anything and you’re bound to get yourself in trouble if you can’t back your claims. Raylier says it already has extensive experience both with crowdfunding and delivering a quality product, since they’ve already produced and shipped thousands of units from the first campaign. So, today, the focus is solely on improving on that initial product.

Raylier is special both because it makes the wearer (the rider, in this instance) more visible in traffic and safer in case of a crash. It’s a biker’s jacket with a total of 240 LEDs spread “over 8 beautifully integrated arrays to be seen from any angle,” according to the campaign description. Basically, you have lighted strips on the chest (positioned wide enough as to be visible from the side, as well) and on the back, which act as warning lights for fellow motorists.

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/rayl ... 51303.html

Pics there, really annoying video too.

I'll leave you to delve into materials and standards (I didn't quote the full text) :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Re: World’s Safest Motorcycle Jacket

Post by Horse »

Fwiw, I've seen a pedestrian (ie 200471) jacket with LEDs and, in the circumstances it was being demonstrated, it didn't impress the assembled viewers (about 40m away, not conspicuity 'experts'.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Our jackets successfully passed the certification protocol VPM-006 Level II equipment. This is the highest level of certification worldwide for motorbike jackets.
Orly!!
I've not heard of that one, and I can find nothing on Europa, BSOL or Google, even though they claim AA equivalency.
Daniel
7 days ago
1-What is the "certification protocol VPM-006 Level II"? Tried to google it, but got nothing. Do you have any links to this protocol?

2-The optional back protector, what is exactly?

3-As others have pointed out, back lights on the arms would be very welcome, as even a small backpack will probably block the view to the main back lights. Just a suggestion 😃
RaylierCreator
7 days ago
1 - It is a really hard to get certification that garanties that the jacket actually protects you in case of a crash. https://www.motorcyclegear.com/info_pag ... ained.html

2 - The back protection is not included because many bikers already own one and don't want to have everybody to pay for it if they din't need it !

3 - As for the arm LEDWe did not add them as the LEDs on the chest are already visible on all angles ! We have tried extensively actually :)

They are far apart enough to not be obstructed if you have a small or standard backpack :)

Going without them makes for a longer lasting battery, lighter and cheaper jacket and allows us to pack new awesome technologies.

I hope it makes sense to you !

Let us know if you have any other question :)
RaylierCreator
7 days ago
the VPM-006 Level II correspond to the AA class
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

With this jacket, my life is now complete :mrgreen: And who could resist a jacket with such an incredible guarantee?
Raylier wrote:Last but not least, there’s the leather model, made of genuine leather with cotton lining, which is water resistant and guaranteed to last you a lifetime. Raylier offers a 2-year warranty on each jacket
Skub

Post by Skub »

We need Thermo back.....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:04 pm With this jacket, my life is now complete :mrgreen: And who could resist a jacket with such an incredible guarantee?
Raylier wrote:Last but not least, there’s the leather model, made of genuine leather with cotton lining, which is water resistant and guaranteed to last you a lifetime. Raylier offers a 2-year warranty on each jacket
I knew you'd like it :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

20201111_122632.jpg
20201111_122632.jpg (98.2 KiB) Viewed 451 times
No idea what the pair of LEDs on the screen is all about, but the screen doesn't do the jackets's lights any favours.

Re standard; Google only seems to point back to the jacket.