Fluorescent to Led - Advice needed

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
mikeycee

Fluorescent to Led - Advice needed

Post by mikeycee »

Evening!

Hopefully an easy one for the collective mind....

With the dark, Wintery nights fast approaching and with a lot needing to be done in the Garage, I’m wanting to change the dull, crappy single fluorescent tube I have in there for a brighter LED replacement which I have seen around the internet’s.

Can anyone tell me if it’s just a case of finding an LED equivalent of the same length and fitting in the existing fitting? Or are there mods needed and new starters required etc?

Thanks in advance to anyone that can offer any advice!
The Spin Doctor

Re: Fluorescent to Led - Advice needed

Post by The Spin Doctor »

If I remember right, when we changed the fluorescent tube in my buddy's kitchen, it was simply a matter of plugging the new LED tube in. Can't recall if the starter was left in place or removed. I'm sure there will be instructions on the box.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Some fluorescent fittings will need a wiring mod to fit LED tubes, as Spin says.

This usually requires that the starter and ballast are removed so that you are left with just the (switched) live and neutral to go to the new LED tube. I would suspect that the connection to earth would be to the metal fixture itself. Any decent manufacturer will include instructions as to what to do.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
Luddite

Post by Luddite »

Nine times out of ten, it should be a straightforward plug-and-play. I've got a couple of 40 year-old strip lights in the garage and get swapped the tubes for these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENERGIZER-T8 ... 2618616641

They come with a replacement LED starter, which you swap over with the original one. They also have full instructions with wiring diagrams for if you do need to modify your light.

They give a clean, white light, start instantly with no flashing and there's no flickering when they're on. Highly recommended.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The one I've swapped over had a different starter in the pack.
Err. I put that in and its been fine.
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Thanks all for this advice, its greatly appreciated.

Been doing some research and looks like there are some really cheap options to replace the whole unit so I think this will be the way to go. Will be far more straightforward and will probably get better end results I think.

Thanks Again! :clap: :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

We pay around £38 plus VAT for 5' LED fittings, normally get 52W ones which are very bright. Can pay lots more from the usual DIY places so worth trying electrical wholesalers ;)
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Couchy wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:57 pm We pay around £38 plus VAT for 5' LED fittings, normally get 52W ones which are very bright. Can pay lots more from the usual DIY places so worth trying electrical wholesalers ;)
Thanks Couchy!

I found a set of 2 x 4' LED Battens for £30.00 Posted from Ebay - 36W Output with good reviews so thought I would take a punt. Not sure how good these would be in terms of brightness?

Looking to replace the main tube in the middle of the garage and also add one above my workbench :)