In car system
24%
Stand alone satnav
36%

Total votes: 25

Greenman

Re: What satnav do you use?

Post by Greenman »

I installed the Golf mk6 satnav into my mk5 when i got it, is quite a nice satnav tbh, it sometimes get's things a little wrong like small b roads that have been closed off but very rarely.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Felix wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:09 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:20 pm Got a campe4vn specific one for my camper. A zumo somewhere, that’s for the bike. CarPlay for any apps in the cars.
Kind of why the free apps are pish. Campers are quite large and like trucks you want to put in the weight and size of your motor or you could end up in a river due to the bridge under you collapsing with the weight or take your roof of under a low bridge. I have been using iGO Primo in cheap Chinese sat navs for a good five years now and been flawless with weight and dimensions as well as routing. Before that i was using the Android version of iGO in a spare phone or an old tablet.
With the Garmin camper one, it does take me the longer way round and avoids roads I know I could safely get down, but I'd rather that than take me down roads i could get stuck in. I don't like using it though, as the hanging wires piss me off, so I may try that iGO as I have a bigger screen radio going in there. :thumbup:
exportman

Post by exportman »

It depends:

Car generally I use Waze via Android Auto but It has a built in Here based satnav too. On the Bike I have a TomTom 550 and usually the BMW App running too.

Quite often I ignore them totally and just drive/ride
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Waze. Works for me. Car and bike. Just a battery bank when on the bike to keep phone charged up. Long cable routed from under the seat works and battery bank stays cool as it is well ventilated.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

Stand alone Garmin Zumo 340LM. Probably considered ancient by now. Does the job.

I'm always amazed at the number of times I've come across instances of sat-navs that haven't been updated - sometimes ever since they came out of the box.

One instance was a blood bike setup that apparently had me riding across open farmland - and the bypass I was on had been open for years. Now this could have been down to the equipment officer, but no one else seemed to find it the least remarkable. Odd.

And yes, I did update the set-navs that the group had. I quite sure that no-one noticed.
Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
dern

Post by dern »

I use a tomtom rider 550 for road stuff which is excellent generally but did route me through a 'no bikes' tunnel in Paris.

I use OS maps on an old phone for offroad stuff.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

In the moho I use the phone and a TT600, as the tomtom has all the French Aires stored so is the most convenient thing to use while driving.
G maps gives me better routing as the TT has a habit of sending you off through a village and down a back road to save 50m on a journey.
Also have an ancient TT, I think it's a one, which allows you to plan for limited speed vehicle, but the maps are circa mappa mundi so a bit unreliable now.
Bike gets the phone and depending on mood, either calimoto or via Michelin as software.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I used my TomTom Rider 400 in my MoHo.

It tried to take me under a low tunnel on le peripherique, I hit some rubber height flaps, set off an alarm and some flashing lights that directed me off an emergency exit into central Paris. I almost contemplated buying a MoHo specific satnag after that.
Felix

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 6:18 pm I used my TomTom Rider 400 in my MoHo.

It tried to take me under a low tunnel on le peripherique, I hit some rubber height flaps, set off an alarm and some flashing lights that directed me off an emergency exit into central Paris. I almost contemplated buying a MoHo specific satnag after that.
No need. Cheap Chinese sat nav tend all to come with iGO Primo. Set it for truck and put in motorhome dimensions. You can even put car dimensions in as camper size if you think truck might take you into Freight only areas. Think i am six year in on my Xgody. Updated once a year and only ever replaced the battery what is 3.7v so used a mobile phone one what now lasts twice as long as the Chinese shite.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Google Maps in the car, because I like to be re-routed to avoid traffic jams etc. (I know it doesn't always work, by ykwim).
I tried Waze briefly but didn't like the interface much, or the fact that it seemed to want to know a lot about me.

Since I bought a Beeline last year I haven't used the Garmin 396 LMTS anymore. I like the app - I hardly ever need Myrouteapp for route planning anymore - and I like the minimalism of the device.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

TomTom Rider 550 on the bike and also in the car by using the car mount, which has an internal speaker.

I link it to my phone via tethering, so get live updates. A thing I like is the 550 records trip statistics for the day, so I can see how many miles I've done, how many riding hours, average speed and top speed.

Also keeps a running total since the first day I had it, now on just over 48,200 miles total since August 2019 (and I don't always use it).