In car system
24%
Stand alone satnav
36%

Total votes: 25

cheb

Re: What satnav do you use?

Post by cheb »

A Tomtom Via somenumber. One day I might start using my phone possibly. The most tedious thing about the TT is I can't update via Linux. Happily I have an old Apple laptop that I can use.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:38 pm Does anyone buy bespoke SatNav hardware like TomToms these days? The mobile device Apps have improved so rapidly I'd have though the market share for those would've dropped like a stone. And data restrictions aren't really an issue any more. What do they offer that mobile device Apps don't?
TomTom make a paid for phone app. All the 'features' of the TomTom software, but on your own hardware.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:25 pm
DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:38 pm Does anyone buy bespoke SatNav hardware like TomToms these days? The mobile device Apps have improved so rapidly I'd have though the market share for those would've dropped like a stone. And data restrictions aren't really an issue any more. What do they offer that mobile device Apps don't?
TomTom make a paid for phone app. All the 'features' of the TomTom software, but on your own hardware.
I have the paid for TomTom app for Android. I prefer it to Google maps etc. (TomTom have years of experience in this sort of thing and I think it shows in the useability). It doesn't cost that much.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm You missed paper map off the poll :p
That's what I use. Look at the map, figure out how to get where I need to go & then go there. In fact I did the "figure out how to get where I need to go" part this morning after I got a FB msg from a gal I used to date in the UK damn near 40 years ago who told me she'll be in the LA area (actually Palm Springs) for two weeks at the end of the month :)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Went to visit a mate just south of Roermond, Holland. Took the bike and no sat nav just a sheet of A4 paper in the tank bag map holder. Getting to the Ferry in Newcastle was easy enough as i did that trip many a time but my sheet of A4 had about 10 names of towns i should see when driving down the A2 in Holland what worked well. Go to my mates and had a jolly good few days on the piss and did a bike rally. Home time my sheet of A4 was just read bottom up what got me straight to the ferry port.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:38 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:25 pm
I have the paid for TomTom app for Android. I prefer it to Google maps etc. (TomTom have years of experience in this sort of thing and I think it shows in the useability). It doesn't cost that much.
I'll have a look at that! I used to really like TomTom - still have a car and bike version somewhere but the bike one is so old I doubt it can be updated :( :(

Felix wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 6:58 pm Went to visit a mate just south of Roermond, Holland. Took the bike and no sat nav just a sheet of A4 paper in the tank bag map holder. Getting to the Ferry in Newcastle was easy enough as i did that trip many a time but my sheet of A4 had about 10 names of towns i should see when driving down the A2 in Holland what worked well. Go to my mates and had a jolly good few days on the piss and did a bike rally. Home time my sheet of A4 was just read bottom up what got me straight to the ferry port.
I always used to do that, despite having the bike TomTom thingie - trouble is that when I started needing to wear glasses, I couldn't see the paper in the tank bag!! :( :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
katana

Post by katana »

Find it odd that no one uses Here We Go.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

katana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:04 pm Find it odd that no one uses Here We Go.
It's only for Superstar DJ's.
katana

Post by katana »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:33 pm You missed paper map off the poll :p
Still like using paper maps and hence looking at routes on a bigger computer screen and still like using maps as it is supposed to be better for the brain.
katana

Post by katana »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:05 pm
katana wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:04 pm Find it odd that no one uses Here We Go.
It's only for Superstar DJ's.
Wish there was a downvote groan ticking.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I used to navigate by the stars in my car, but I had to give it up 'cause modern car suspension is too firm and it makes it difficult to hold the sextant steady.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got a campe4vn specific one for my camper. A zumo somewhere, that’s for the bike. CarPlay for any apps in the cars.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:20 pm Got a campe4vn specific one for my camper. A zumo somewhere, that’s for the bike. CarPlay for any apps in the cars.
Kind of why the free apps are pish. Campers are quite large and like trucks you want to put in the weight and size of your motor or you could end up in a river due to the bridge under you collapsing with the weight or take your roof of under a low bridge. I have been using iGO Primo in cheap Chinese sat navs for a good five years now and been flawless with weight and dimensions as well as routing. Before that i was using the Android version of iGO in a spare phone or an old tablet.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 pm I used to navigate by the stars in my car, but I had to give it up
I use the sun as i prefer sleeping at nights :D
wull

Post by wull »

Google maps on the phone and or the one in the Beemer which works quite well.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Felix wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:07 pm I used to navigate by the stars in my car, but I had to give it up

I tried the Sun, it kept wanting me to head right.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Google maps or Waze in the car
TomTom rider 450 on the bike
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My old TomTom 400 is sooo sloooow.

I use this on the GS, clips into the existing nav bracket and I just pop my phone in it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195465782772 ... media=COPY
cheb

Post by cheb »

One of the reasons I still use my satnav rather than a phone is that it has lifetime free map updates. I don't know what TT consider a lifetime but I'll probably just use until it breaks or they decide its lifetime is up. It's not that I fear change, I just can't be fussed until I have to.

There's even an infotainment screen in the van and I haven't yet linked my phone to it.
Felix

Post by Felix »

cheb wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:42 am
Felix wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:10 am

I tried the Sun, it kept wanting me to head right.
At least it will get you back home.