Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:35 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:56 pm I just think a house is a bit like a good pair of shoes, you have to live with them a while before they 'fit' properly.
Wasn't it the German Bauhaus movement that stated a house should be a machine to live in; i.e. a house should be an efficient tool to help provide for the necessities and requirements of life?
T'was Le Corbusier. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Indeed it was...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I disagree entirely about a house needing to grow on you, if you don't instantly fall in love with it whilst you're viewing it, then you're in the wrong house.
It's absolutely true that the right house immediately makes itself known to you and sings out the moment you walk into it.

Although if you're not a practical sort (i.e. an IT nerd :lol: ) and unable to see past the furnishings and decorating of the previous occupants then you might struggle to be able to view it in your minds eye.

But the feeling is definitely there, if it isn't then you've bought the wrong house.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Potter wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:48 pm I disagree entirely about a house needing to grow on you, if you don't instantly fall in love with it whilst you're viewing it, then you're in the wrong house.
It's absolutely true that the right house immediately makes itself known to you and sings out the moment you walk into it.

Although if you're not a practical sort (i.e. an IT nerd :lol: ) and unable to see past the furnishings and decorating of the previous occupants then you might struggle to be able to view it in your minds eye.

But the feeling is definitely there, if it isn't then you've bought the wrong house.
We’ve just moved - spent a longtime looking and I love our new place - I know it will present some problems but it’s a 1870 terrace so that comes with the territory.
I’ll need to keep working anyway to keep the young master whilst he goes through university.
Not needing a car as we live near the Elizabeth line helps.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This villa will see us out. It's perfect.
The basement apartment brings in good rent.
The whole top floor is our bedroom suite. Amazing.
And 2 bedrooms and bathroom on ground floor for pals and family to visit.
When the steps get to much for us, we'll move down and sleep on the middle floor. Then can waddle out to the pool patio in me jimjams ;)

If we ever need permanent care, we'll get a live-in carer upstairs.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:48 pm I disagree entirely about a house needing to grow on you, if you don't instantly fall in love with it whilst you're viewing it, then you're in the wrong house.

I don't think it's anything to do with furnishings/decoration really. That's easy to see past. Half is finding out if it actually 'works' for you when living in it (rather than you imagine living in it on viewing), half is, finding out in practice if it's in the right place? :lol:

Different strokes/folks though.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:35 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:56 pm I just think a house is a bit like a good pair of shoes, you have to live with them a while before they 'fit' properly.
Absolutely agree with this. You have to live in a house for a while before you become used to its good points and it bad points (and there will always be some). Then you have to live there a bit longer before you figure out what needs doing to the house to tailor it to your needs/wants.

People who buy a house, gut it and decorate it before moving in will invariably find themselves re-working substantial parts of the place later on.
Before we built the extension here, I mentally lived in it. Down the way my brain works, I planned just about everything.

The only thing I'd move is the switch for an outside light.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:30 pm

I don't think it's anything to do with furnishings/decoration really. That's easy to see past. Half is finding out if it actually 'works' for you when living in it (rather than you imagine living in it on viewing), half is, finding out in practice if it's in the right place? :lol:

Different strokes/folks though.
Yeah, you can be in love with a house and know it's the one you want, but the fine detail of living in it will gradually reveal the best way to modify and work with it. It's a bit like a physical relationship - the initial spark is thrilling, but you still have to make it work through the years (and hopefully decades).
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Another thing to take into consideration is inheritance.
It's sort of taboo, but when we were making plans 10 years ago, we included what was coming to us.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:13 pm Another thing to take into consideration is inheritance.
It's sort of taboo, but when we were making plans 10 years ago, we included what was coming to us.
Yes-ish. We were able to achieve some of what we have sooner. Bluntly, if FiL hadn't died when he did, his money would have been used for care home fees.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:24 pm
I know a couple who had (for the wife, at least) a near life-long dream to live in Cornwall. They bought their forever home in 2021. They won't be there in 2025.
It's not all pasties and Doom Bar, there are no bloody shops, half the restaurants are shut in winter, and you will get 3 months of mizzle.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:13 pm Another thing to take into consideration is inheritance.
Unless the person goes into a care home and you'll get fuck all. Or how about "you'll inherit everything when I die Yorick", only to find they've left it to Battersea Dogs Home.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:15 pm Bluntly, if FiL hadn't died when he did, his money would have been used for care home fees.
My parents have actually talked to me about this.

Thing is - if they carked it today, I think my brother and I would both stand to inherit ~£500k, maybe a bit more. If my Dad lives as long as his parents did he's still got another 3 decades in him, by why time I don't expect my inheritance to be worth much at all. Not to mention the fact I will be nearly 70 myself then too!

So bluntly, it's not a factor I'm considering. I'll get what I get and that'll be whatever it is.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:44 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:15 pm Bluntly, if FiL hadn't died when he did, his money would have been used for care home fees.
If my Dad lives as long as his parents did he's still got another 3 decades in him, by why time I don't expect my inheritance to be worth much at all. Not to mention the fact I will be nearly 70 myself then too!
My father died aged 91, mother is still alive aged 96!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:42 pm Or how about "you'll inherit everything when I die Yorick", only to find they've left it to Battersea Dogs Home.
Mrs. D was alive for quite a long time (as in, into adulthood) before her parents updated their wills in exactly this regard :lol:

It wasn't a slight against her, they just never got around to it :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:44 pm Not to mention the fact I will be nearly 70 myself then too!
Hey,it's not that bad,if you are reasonably healthy. :o :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:01 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:44 pm Not to mention the fact I will be nearly 70 myself then too!
My Dad is 67, he's not long done his first ever 10 mile running race :o He's run more in the last 3-4 years then I remember him running in my entire youth :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:07 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:01 pm
My Dad is 67, he's not long done his first ever 10 mile running race :o He's run more in the last 3-4 years then I remember him running in my entire youth :lol:
Good man. 8-) I'm a year older than yer Da.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

You want the option to get your hands on some decent cash at 55... If it's final salary (DB scheme) you will have to start drawing the 75% taxable aswel as the 25% at the same time.

If you're in a (DC scheme) you can take 25% and do whatever with it, same as above, but the 75% bit can stay invested until you really need it. So, one option is stick the 25% tax free bit somewhere where you can get your hands on it and leave the rest invested.

DB schemes are often thought of as the better, gold plated pension, but I transferred mine out because of the greater flexibility on the DC scheme, personal pot.

I've pulled my 25% and now have premium bonds and isas which I can access anytime. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy69 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:19 pm You want the option to get your hands on some decent cash at 55... If it's final salary (DB scheme) you will have to start drawing the 75% taxable aswel as the 25% at the same time.

If you're in a (DC scheme) you can take 25% and do whatever with it, same as above, but the 75% bit can stay invested until you really need it. So, one option is stick the 25% tax free bit somewhere where you can get your hands on it and leave the rest invested.

DB schemes are often thought of as the better, gold plated pension, but I transferred mine out because of the greater flexibility on the DC scheme, personal pot.

I've pulled my 25% and now have premium bonds and isas which I can access anytime. 👍
I'd have to put it somewhere I can't get it as I'm not really a responsible adult. So I'd use 5-10% for a few things I've got in mind, the other 15% would have to go somewhere only Mrs Weeksy can get to otherwise I'll have a garage full of toys