Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Greenman

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:59 am
Nordboy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 am
Potter wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:12 am I was reading earlier that Alpine have a sporty Renault Five planned, I'd like to imagine it as a modern (electric) version of the Renault Five Turbo.
Saw it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year. If they actually build it as they did the prototype version, they'll sell loads. It really looked like a modern Renault 5 turbo.
https://www.renault.co.uk/concept-cars- ... otype.html
Yeah that's what I thought, an electric hot hatch, if performance matches the looks then it will be great.
It looks fucking hidious!

I really am not a fan of modern day car styling.
Count Steer

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Count Steer »

Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:28 am
Nordboy wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:57 am

Saw it at the Goodwood Festival of Speed last year. If they actually build it as they did the prototype version, they'll sell loads. It really looked like a modern Renault 5 turbo.
https://www.renault.co.uk/concept-cars- ... otype.html
Yeah that's what I thought, an electric hot hatch, if performance matches the looks then it will be great.

You think the old style Renault 5 looks better? :crazy:

I saw a thing about the new '5' and thought....'Ooh, there's a possibility'.

(I had a new, but quite old style, Renault 5 when I was commuting from Norf to Sarf Lunnon and back (right through the middle) and, when I sold it it looked like it had been on hire to a war correspondent :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

I always thought the Renault Five looked quite good, my mate had the GT Turbo but it kept overheating and busting cylinder heads IIRC.

I think the electric sporty one looks cool - I'd probably look a twat as a fifty year old man driving it though.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:52 am
Greenman wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:28 am

You think the old style Renault 5 looks better? :crazy:

I saw a thing about the new '5' and thought....'Ooh, there's a possibility'.

(I had a new, but quite old style, Renault 5 when I was commuting from Norf to Sarf Lunnon and back (right through the middle) and, when I sold it it looked like it had been on hire to a war correspondent :lol: ).
Tis a good point. As Iccy says i suppose the ruded up GT Turbo's looked ok but in standard guise they were also pretty hidious.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I love the original 5. Yeah they're a shopping basket with an asthmatic engine etc, but that's what they're about!

My Mum had 2 in succession when I was growing up, then a couple of 1st gen Clios as well. Much love for crappy small French hatchbacks in our household :lol:

Her second Clio was a 5 door actually. I can't imagine a family of 4 being satisfied with just a little hatchback these days. You need an enormous SUV.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

The bubble will burst soon and they'll be in low specification pooled, battery powered, Renault Twangos. Ot Pereodua Nippas. And be greatful for them too. :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

You can pick up a 2nd hand Honda-e for less than £15k, they're quite funky, shame about the range.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 am I've just been shocked at how cheap 2nd hand three year old Model 3 Tesla's are.

I guess a lot were sold on three year PCP deals and got handed back.

Theres a shit load for sale, but the nearest one to me on Auto Trader is a 70 plate Standard Range Plus with just under 50k on the clock for £21k!
Quite a few round here too. Are you tempted? Nice long range, dual motor Ludicrous edition, 0-60 in just over 2 seconds... :think: 8-)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:25 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:20 am I've just been shocked at how cheap 2nd hand three year old Model 3 Tesla's are.

Theres a shit load for sale, but the nearest one to me on Auto Trader is a 70 plate Standard Range Plus with just under 50k on the clock for £21k!
Quite a few round here too. Are you tempted? Nice long range, dual motor Ludicrous edition, 0-60 in just over 2 seconds... :think: 8-)
The wife wants a change, she only commutes 4 miles each way and gets free car charging at work.

I don't think she'd go for a Tesla tho', she has mentioned how 'nice' the I-Pace looks, they're similar prices, but they've a reputation for being very unreliable, much like most JLR products :)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

iPaces are indeed nice. One of my old colleagues visited my place of work once, in his iPace. He was working for JLR at the time so it wasn't actually his. I commented on how nice his car was, so he just chucked me the keys and told me to take it for a spin :D

4 miles each way though?

My parents and my brother both have electric minis for those sorts of journeys. They really like 'em. I think the union jack tail lights are utter gash.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:55 pm iPaces are indeed nice. One of my old colleagues visited my place of work once, in his iPace. He was working for JLR at the time so it wasn't actually his. I commented on how nice his car was, so he just chucked me the keys and told me to take it for a spin :D

4 miles each way though?

My parents and my brother both have electric minis for those sorts of journeys. They really like 'em. I think the union jack tail lights are utter gash.
Well she's doing the commute at the moment in 300+ bhp SL350, she wouldn't want a downgrade.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

400bhp iPace it is then :thumbup:

And it's a V6 SL, never forget. I bet it's debadged.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Given the choice of an ipace or an old SL350 then I'd take my bicycle :lol:

I can't get on with the look of most big Mercs or Jags, I had an E-class as a company car back in 2012 and it was comfortable (and quick) but looked horrible.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You'd love a leccy one then :thumbup:

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:15 pm 400bhp iPace it is then :thumbup:

And it's a V6 SL, never forget. I bet it's debadged.
It was debaged before I bought it :p
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:35 pm You'd love a leccy one then :thumbup:

Not for my £26k budget!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:45 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:25 pm

The wife wants a change, she only commutes 4 miles each way and gets free car charging at work.
That's the ideal use-case-scenario for a small electric car, but it's still probably more green to keep your current car until it's on it's last legs.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And then cycle the 4 miles.

I'll let you suggest that Bob :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:05 pm And then cycle the 4 miles.

I'll let you suggest that Bob :thumbup:
She could use the £450 Raleigh Lady's shopping bike she insisted buying four years ago... and ridden twice.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've just been reading about the new EV Range Rover, which sounds smashing.
But the fly in the ointment for me is the gremlins, which (IME) seem to only affect the electric parts of Range Rovers. The fella that looks after mine said the engines on these big petrol ones are bulletproof but the electrics let them down.

If the whole car is electric then I foresee some horrible repair bills once it's out of warranty.