What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by the_priest »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:14 pm My card is behind the bar. The sale of my Mum's house completed today and the funds are on their way. I'm debt free.
That must be a huge relief!!

Single malt, make it a double, I have a leaking church roof! (Vicarage is toasty warm and dry thank God!)
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My sister has asked me to do a speech at her upcoming wedding, so instead of the traditional 'Father of the Bride Speech' there'll be a 'Younger Brother of the Bride Speech'.

Having spent a few days reading up on the prescribed content, the people to thank, etc. and having watched a few YouTube videos for inspiration, I've spent a few hours this morning putting pen to paper.

So far I have:

'Ladies and Gentlemen...'

Writer's block. :(
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm My sister has asked me to do a speech at her upcoming wedding, so instead of the traditional 'Father of the Bride Speech' there'll be a 'Younger Brother of the Bride Speech'.

Having spent a few days reading up on the prescribed content, the people to thank, etc. and having watched a few YouTube videos for inspiration, I've spent a few hours this morning putting pen to paper.

So far I have:

I've got a best man's speech to write for the middle of Feb, I'll probably start it the day before the ceremony. Or I might just get pissed and ramble on about any old shite, like I did last time I was a best man.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm My sister has asked me to do a speech at her upcoming wedding, so instead of the traditional 'Father of the Bride Speech' there'll be a 'Younger Brother of the Bride Speech'.

So far I have:

Give 'em a quiz instead. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:33 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:14 pm My card is behind the bar. The sale of my Mum's house completed today and the funds are on their way. I'm debt free.

Single malt, make it a double, I have a leaking church roof! (Vicarage is toasty warm and dry thank God!)
Am I right in thinking that insurance doesn't cover roof storm damage?

Irony is an act of God.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:35 pm

So far I have:

I've got a best man's speech to write for the middle of Feb, I'll probably start it the day before the ceremony. Or I might just get pissed and ramble on about any old shite, like I did last time I was a best man.
Tis what i normally do. Just don't get too pissed and start talking about the times you used to blaze in the old Capri in a mates parents back garden when the parents who didn't even know their son smoked weed are right in front of you!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:36 pm

So far I have:

Actually not a bad idea.....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:47 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:36 pm

So far I have:

Actually not a bad idea.....
I suppose asking "hands up who's slept with the bride" wouldn't be appropriate in this case ?

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I did know someone who gave a Best Mans speech and did the whole thing in a Deryck Guyler accent. In thanking people for the gifts on behalf of the groom, he thanked the bride's parents for the perky copulator. :)
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm My sister has asked me to do a speech at her upcoming wedding,

So far I have:

"Fornication

"FORNICATION!!!!

"For an occasion like this, it is traditional to .... "
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:36 pm

Am I right in thinking that insurance doesn't cover roof storm damage?

Irony is an act of God.
Funnily enough we can get insurance to cover an act of God! We have to with out location on The Hill. We get high winds up here and with the recent storm and gusts of over 70mph, we need the insurance. Roofers are going to be very happy with recent weather. A few houses nearby also lost tiles.
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

How as a man of god do you square that circle, An act of god has damaged the house of god?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:17 pm
How as a man of god do you square that circle, An act of god has damaged the house of god?
The Lord works in mysterious ways.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Simples. He saw that the roof was not in good repair and prone to damage so He decided that it was time to get it fixed and insurance was easier than community fund raising. So, lift a few tiles and get on the celestial blower to the insurance company. They can't argue that the roof doesn't need fixing. :thumbup:

(My local church needed roofing work but the problem wasn't catastrophic so they had to jump through quite a few hoops and raise a lot of cash. From up there He could see that drastic action was needed. Checked the insurance policy and whoosh! :D )
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Worked in the office with my new colleague for the first time. Proper laughs :D

Best was that I took a request for a short in resort transfer. From a place called Le Loup Blanc.

I told Tiffany the pick up place so she could let the driver know as I took the rest of the info needed from the customer.

Small issue with the name of the restaurant - it includes the sound 'ou' that, on some words, I just can't say right!!

Nous, vous, beaucoup - can say them

toute (as in à toute à l'heure) - nope never! (I now say à plus - means virtually the same thing, but my colleagues still laugh because they know why I say that instead of à toute!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

What Tiff heard was Le Lublont instead of Le Loup Blanc :shock: :lol:

So when I put the phone down to the customer, she said she couldn't find the place for Alain to pick up, so I repeated it but said it better and we both spent a lot of the rest of the day laughing :lol: :lol:

I am trying soooo hard to say ou better, but weirdly it is just one of the few things that I just can't hear when I don't say it right!! :( :( Makes people laugh and I've had SOOOOOO many lessons and people try to help me get it right.

Think I might have cracked it today - I say the ou too long. It ou as in boo, not ou as in you :lol: :lol:

Sooooo hard to hear it though - but at least lots of people get to have some extra laughs when I try :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Simple, our neglect of the world has created climate change and changed weather patterns, hence more extreme weather and the effects will cause greater damage to any building that is located on the top of a hill... even a church. Besides, God's people make the house of prayer, not the building.

I've got the faculty granted for the required repairs, now to get the quotes and get things done asap.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm
Simple, our neglect of the world has created climate change and changed weather patterns, hence more extreme weather and the effects will cause greater damage to any building that is located on the top of a hill... even a church. Besides, God's people make the house of prayer, not the building.
I've got the faculty granted for the required repairs, now to get the quotes and get things done asap.
One could argue that everything is an act of God. Just depends on how you perceive such a thing as a leaky roof.
Philosophy after a few glasses of vino always makes sense at the time. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Buckaroo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm

One could argue that everything is an act of God. Just depends on how you perceive such a thing as a leaky roof.
Philosophy after a few glasses of vino always makes sense at the time. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

To win the argument you just put everything down to physics.

It would be easier than trying to decide which god has acted.

As for our neglect of the world, to some people we are made in god's image so neglectful people implies a neglectful god. And let's face it, the gods have been fairly quiet for the last couple of thousand years. It's been even longer since they decided that Sodom should be flattened.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:21 am To win the argument you just put everything down to physics.

As for our neglect of the world, to some people we are made in god's image so neglectful people implies a neglectful god. And let's face it, the gods have been fairly quiet for the last couple of thousand years. It's been even longer since they decided that Sodom should be flattened.
For an allegedly *all-knowing* god, he seems to be rather callous. It's also a bit odd that only religious people are possessed by demons/spirits etc.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

Yambo wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:21 am
Buckaroo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:33 pm

To win the argument you just put everything down to physics.

I was merely making a tongue in cheek comment with no malice intended to anyone. Live and learn.