Airbag vests/ jackets etc - Yay, nay, don't care?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hot_Air

Re: Airbag vests/ jackets etc - Yay, nay, don't care?

Post by Hot_Air »

I must watch Elevenses more often! Is the presenter any good? :mrgreen:
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:53 am There's a lot of pro-airbag publicity but I haven't seen the IoM races getting any safer over the last decade!
Airbag publicity has blown up recently, but I’m not holding my breath :) for more independent research. There’s a longstanding lack of it :(

In MotoGP, collarbone injuries have declined since airbags arrived. But the IoM races must be a more relevant test bed for road riding — albeit, IoM speeds may be too high for regular road crash relevancy.

Regarding regular riders, not all airbags are created equal. Some systems provide relatively comprehensive coverage (e.g. Helite, Astars Tech-Air Race and Street). Others only protect the chest.

Protection varies, too. How many systems achieve CE Airbag Level 2? Unusually for Dainese, I think it might be the only manufacturer with Level 2 airbags (e.g. the Racing 3 D-Air jacket).
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Hot_Air wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:30 pm I must watch Elevenses more often! Is the presenter any good? :mrgreen:
Could do with a haircut ;)

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:53 am There's a lot of pro-airbag publicity but I haven't seen the IoM races getting any safer over the last decade!
Airbag publicity has blown up recently, but I’m not holding my breath :) for more independent research. There’s a longstanding lack of it :(

In MotoGP, collarbone injuries have declined since airbags arrived. But the IoM races must be a more relevant test bed for road riding — albeit, IoM speeds may be too high for regular road crash relevancy.

Regarding regular riders, not all airbags are created equal. Some systems provide relatively comprehensive coverage (e.g. Helite, Astars Tech-Air Race and Street). Others only protect the chest.

Protection varies, too. How many systems achieve CE Airbag Level 2? Unusually for Dainese, I think it might be the only manufacturer with Level 2 airbags (e.g. the Racing 3 D-Air jacket).
Riders have also learned to tuck arms in and roll, about 80 years behind paratroops ;)

But if there's a bit of the body to protect - after the head - it's the legs... study after study shows the frequency of lower limb injuries... lower petrol tanks that don't break the pelvis and handlebars that collapse rather than shatter the femur would be a better investment.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:26 pm. lower petrol tanks that don't break the pelvis and handlebars that collapse rather than shatter the femur would be a better investment.
I heard years ago that BMW designed the inside panels of fairings to direct the rider 'up' as they went forwards.

Of course, the option open to everyone is to stand up. Only takes a moment.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:35 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:26 pm. lower petrol tanks that don't break the pelvis and handlebars that collapse rather than shatter the femur would be a better investment.
I heard years ago that BMW designed the inside panels of fairings to direct the rider 'up' as they went forwards.

Of course, the option open to everyone is to stand up. Only takes a moment.
At least one of the BMWs was also designed with a weak point in the bars to let them bend. But in theory it's even easier to hit the brakes and stop but as we both know, studies show that many collisions that happen could have been avoided had the rider actually not frozen in an emergency.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

A mate (now, sadly, RIP) once said "the Highway Code is wrong. It's not 'thinking distance' and 'braking distance', there's one before that: the 'Oh shit!' distance, where you continue on, at the same speed, without doing anything useful."
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:52 am A mate (now, sadly, RIP) once said "the Highway Code is wrong. It's not 'thinking distance' and 'braking distance', there's one before that: the 'Oh shit!' distance, where you continue on, at the same speed, without doing anything useful."
It's what I've called 'recognition distance' for donkey's years...

It can be up to THREE seconds before we start to react to an emergency, which is why so many riders fail to pull up or swerve round an obstacle when they had time. It's analogous to Keith Code's Survival Reactions, where we react inappropriate - or freeze and don't react - to a threat.

And the trigger for this delay is SURPRISE!, pure and simple. If we're confronted by a situation we're unfamiliar with, it takes time to recognise what's happening and come up with a get-out-of-trouble strategy.

And that's why sports psychology and tricks like visualisation and pre-performance preparation are so useful - we can prepare in our heads for emergencies that it's almost impossible to prepare for in real life.

And that's why I'm running a live webcast on this very topic online on Wed 11 January!
http://thq.fyi/se/ebbdcc32a1c5
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:25 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:52 am A mate (now, sadly, RIP) once said "the Highway Code is wrong. It's not 'thinking distance' and 'braking distance', there's one before that: the 'Oh shit!' distance, where you continue on, at the same speed, without doing anything useful."
It's what I've called 'recognition distance' for donkey's years...

It can be up to THREE seconds before we start to react to an emergency, which is why so many riders fail to pull up or swerve round an obstacle when they had time. It's analogous to Keith Code's Survival Reactions, where we react inappropriate - or freeze and don't react - to a threat.

And the trigger for this delay is SURPRISE!, pure and simple. If we're confronted by a situation we're unfamiliar with, it takes time to recognise what's happening and come up with a get-out-of-trouble strategy.
Surprise, then 'startle'
https://www.open.ac.uk/blogs/OU-Sport/?p=2801

Although this suggests that:
Even though startle and surprise often occur together, the startle reflex can be triggered without the notion of surprise.
https://safetymatters.co.in/2019/06/25/ ... e-mindfly/
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:52 pm Head
Inflatable cycle helmet already exists, a jacket could incorporate an element of this.

Wouldn't need the full MX helmet coverage, instead a 'sausage' from the nape up over the crown.

They exist no longer https://road.cc/content/news/airbag-cyc ... tcy-305809
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse

Post by Horse »

And the jeans do nothing for the 'open book' hip fracture typically suffered by riders sliding forward into the petrol tank.

Stand up, or jump. Cheaper and effective.
https://the-ride-info.blogspot.com/p/su ... h.html?m=1
Horse

Post by Horse »

Interesting in the vid he demonstrates how the shoulder sections restrict head movement, but nothing about front/rear (hyperextension & hyperflexion).