Headlight glare

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Scootabout

Re: Headlight glare

Post by Scootabout »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:44 pm Someone wants to put spin on that saying a meaningless number is staggering. Nothing about why they have trouble.
“A staggering 17 million drivers in the UK admit to having trouble seeing in the dark, which could be a huge problem if this new eyesight test is introduced. We expect they could also take a toll on the number of eligible elderly drivers, who are more likely to have eye conditions and fading night vision.
Not an impressive article. Firstly, a factual mistake: distance is 20 metres, not yards. Secondly, no distinction is made between poor visual acuity at night and other issues such as sensitivity to bright light, slowness to adapt to light changes etc. Finally they admit they don't know what the new rules might be.

The implication, though, from reference to the lighting level in which the current test is conducted - 'good daylight' - is that it'll be about visual acuity in poorer light. Speaking personally, I'd have no problem passing that, but still struggle to drive in the dark.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

No-one has really checked my eyesight WRT driving since I did my test anyway, so it all seems a bit moot?

Since then I've had eye surgery too :D I've had other eye tests, but I've never been asked to read a number plate or been in contact with the DVLA.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:35 am No-one has really checked my eyesight WRT driving since I did my test anyway
I have - but only as a consequence of having had brain surgery.

- visit to a DVSA test centre, 'read that number plate on the fence'*
- optician check, with fields test

Even with licence renewal age 70, I don't think an eyesight test is required.

* One of bike cops I knew used to stop people if he noticed iffy driving.

He would get the driver out of their car and stood by the back of his bike. Then tell them they were going to walk away then read a number plate.

Most drivers would have a sneaky peak at the bike's plate.

He would pace out the distance, leave the driver there. Then return to the bike and get out a different plate :)

Fail - done for poor eyesight
Pass - done for without care and attention
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I think it's a good idea to test eyesight in poor light. For years I've only really 'needed' glasses to drive if it's not bright light. Legally I was just borderline without glasses in bright sunshine (could pass the numberplate test) but as soon as it was dull light, definitely needed my glasses.

I still wear them all the time when I drive, but I am aware that I don't see as well in low light. (Works for skiing too, don't 'need' glasses in bright sunlight, but 100% need them in low/flat light :( )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Wossname wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:04 pm Your lights are already dipped, hopefully - all you can do is switch them off, momentarily. Usually easily done, without (too much) risk.
Sorry, I wrote that badly.

What I meant is, switch your lights to sidelights and back on to give thanks.

and while we're at it, do the same if the car facing you is backing up.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Jody wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:51 pm.
What I meant is, switch your lights to sidelights and back on to give thanks.
As earlier, LED & HID lamps don't work quickly.
Jody wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 9:51 pm.
and while we're at it, do the same if the car facing you is backing up.
Yup :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm not sure you can turn the lights off in my car :lol: All you can do is chose exactly which pattern of light is shining. Because of the digital matrix thing there's not so much distinction between side, low and high. It's all the same lights, just projecting different shapes.

You probably can, but it involves pissing about I imagine.

There's a way you can make it do three rapid high intensity pulses, just to be proper twat, but AFAIK that feature isn't activated on UK models :lol: Not because UK people are deemed nicer I should add, but because "automatic non constant" headlights are illegal.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:21 amAll you can do is chose exactly which pattern of light is shining. Because of the digital matrix thing there's not so much distinction between side, low and high. It's all the same lights, just projecting different shapes.
Is there a 'pass the MoT dipped beam test' pattern?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Dipped beam is just "bottom half"! There's not very much of a discernable pattern beyond the stark line about half way up the field of view.

It does know if you're in LHD or RHD traffic and it warns you if it isn't sure (it's based off the Nav maps I think). You can override it manually in the menus. So there is presumably a different dip pattern for each side.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:30 am So there is presumably a different dip pattern for each side.
Or where it 'looks' to detect oncoming traffic?

Is the beam projection linked to lane detection, ie does it alter to show more into corners rather than directly ahead?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It knows left or right traffic as soon as you switch it on. A little message pops up for a couple of seconds on the instrument screen, so it's gotta be linked to maps. If you're in an off road carpark or similar it warns you it doesn't know and that its assuming things haven't changed since it last knew.

The beam shines around corners yes, it also 'focuses in' as you go faster, going from flood to spot. At 60mph, assuming there's no other traffic etc, it's a proper searchlight. But it also widens out as you approach side roads etc, again presumably based on maps. S'pretty 'in depth'

It also dips around cars you're following, so it's not just based on traffic coming towards you.

It does follow lanes too, on motorways it preferentially lights up your lane more than others, even following the curves in the road.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:30 am
It does know if you're in LHD or RHD traffic and it warns you if it isn't sure (it's based off the Nav maps I think). You can override it manually in the menus. So there is presumably a different dip pattern for each side.
That's good. Every time I drive abroad I curse the way those stick-on Eurolite things just flatten the beam rather than project it up the right-hand verge.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well, having faced/glared at :1 a LOT of oncoming cars in the dark this evening, for me it’s more about the ‘colour’ of the lights.

The icy white are the worst, white with a hint of blue (maybe?) next worst. The easiest on the eye are the ‘warm’ ones - hint of yellow?

I’m sure that the icy white ones a fabulous on full beam and at speed. But absolutely no way are they necessary on dip - except to blind oncoming traffic (even looking to the verge they are still proper glarey!!)

But, the worst are people that not only blind you but also take up part of the other side of the road - so, blinding on the oncoming driver and trying to force them over the edge of the road whilst they are fairly blinded 🙄🙄
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Hot_Air

Hoya EnRoute driving lenses

Post by Hot_Air »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:55 pm for me it’s more about the ‘colour’ of the lights. The icy white are the worst, white with a hint of blue (maybe?) next worst. The easiest on the eye are the ‘warm’ ones - hint of yellow?
I'm the same and wondered if I should try Hoya's driving lenses: EnRoute (imperceptibly yellow) or EnRoute Pro (yellow tint for night driving). I've seen Hoya EnRoute lenses in the optician, and they would work well as an everyday lens. The EnRoute Pro are noticeably yellow but would likely solve the glare issue.

https://www.hoyavision.com/uk/vision-pr ... s/enroute/
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:59 pm Not an impressive article. Firstly, a factual mistake...
There are hundreds of these bollox articles appearing all through the online press.

The other day I was intrigued to see a headline to the effect that "air conditioning mistake millions make that could lead to a £5000 fine"... or some such.

Turned out to be "don't drive with your windows fogged up".
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Whenever I go for a contact lens check one of the tests they do is putting yellow dye in my eyes, it gets trapped behind the lens and glows brightly under UV light allowing them to check various things.

I always say, if I could have that yellow dye tint in my vision all the time it'd be bloody great. To the point I asked if they make the lenses tinted that shade :lol:
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

I’ve tried a pair of those yellow tinted specs. They may reduce headlight glare, but they also reduce contrast, and that has the effect in the dark of making it more difficult to distinguish the difference between tarmac and verge on country roads, or kerb in urban areas, especially when there are approaching headlights. So not for me thanks.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wossname wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:07 pm I’ve tried a pair of those yellow tinted specs. They may reduce headlight glare, but they also reduce contrast, and that has the effect in the dark of making it more difficult to distinguish the difference between tarmac and verge on country roads, or kerb in urban areas, especially when there are approaching headlights. So not for me thanks.
I definitely tried those or similar when I was younger (glare being a problem is not new for me, I tried those glasses in my 20’s) - guessing the reason I didn’t continue using them is that they didn’t help overall. Might try them again just cos I can’t remember why I gave up. But I suspect it’s along the lines you’ve said!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:14 am Whenever I go for a contact lens check one of the tests they do is putting yellow dye in my eyes, it gets trapped behind the lens and glows brightly under UV light allowing them to check various things.

I always say, if I could have that yellow dye tint in my vision all the time it'd be bloody great. To the point I asked if they make the lenses tinted that shade :lol:
Think you can put coloured soft lenses over hard lences. Not 100% though. 🤔
Yamaha rocket 3