European championships DH @weeksy08 racing adventure.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Crowdfunding/Justgiving for @weeksy08 racing to go and race in Europe.

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:58 pm
I know a lot of motorcycle racers who do put the effort in.
They send it out on various media. They know a lot of potential sponsors don't use stuff like Instagram, so cater to them as best they can.
I reckon that most circuits have much better wifi than a lot of the DH places!!

Collating info post race could be a good one, but TBF, at this point, there's probably a balance needed between pressure of racing and pressure of social media/updating folks. He doesn't have a team of people that can help with the SM stuff (yet!!) :D
He could spend 15 minutes typing in the car, going and coming home.
Doesn't have to be prize winning quality.
I'm sure he will. I've seen some of the Instagram and I think he writes some of those himself. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

People are either gonna give money as sponsorship, in which case they want "exposure", or they want the feel goods of helping someone on their way, in which case they want the "story".

Just chucking money into a black hole with no visibility of where it went is unlikely to gwnerate repeat business?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:08 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:02 pm

I reckon that most circuits have much better wifi than a lot of the DH places!!

Collating info post race could be a good one, but TBF, at this point, there's probably a balance needed between pressure of racing and pressure of social media/updating folks. He doesn't have a team of people that can help with the SM stuff (yet!!) :D
He could spend 15 minutes typing in the car, going and coming home.
Doesn't have to be prize winning quality.
I'm sure he will. I've seen some of the Instagram and I think he writes some of those himself. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
He writes all his own insta, if I tried to post that he'd disown me
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:09 pm People are either gonna give money as sponsorship, in which case they want "exposure", or they want the feel goods of helping someone on their way, in which case they want the "story".

Just chucking money into a black hole with no visibility of where it went is unlikely to gwnerate repeat business?
Here's 60 pages and several years of story, which is updated regularly

https://revtothelimit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=76
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:13 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:09 pm People are either gonna give money as sponsorship, in which case they want "exposure", or they want the feel goods of helping someone on their way, in which case they want the "story".

Which is not mentioned anywhere on the Just Giving page? And requires loads of wading through "internal" conversation.

Depends how far you wanna take it. If you're just after money from this lot you don't need the JG page? If you want money from "strangers" you should probably make it more accessible.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:19 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:13 pm

Which is not mentioned anywhere on the Just Giving page? And requires loads of wading through "internal" conversation.

Depends how far you wanna take it. If you're just after money from this lot you don't need the JG page? If you want money from "strangers" you should probably make it more accessible.
The JG is just for here and another bicycle forum. It's a whole different dynamic than anything else, because here, it's personal not business

There's plenty of other things going on in terms of sponsorship too fella, he has sponsorship from Troy Lee Designs, Privateer Bikes, DMR Bikes amongst others. But that's in terms of merch, riding parts, kit etc. There's discussion ongoing with other sponsors or potential sponsors too, but again at this stage it's likely not to involve a cash injection from them.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just as a slight comment here. I'm absolutely blown away here by you guys.
:wub:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:03 pm Just as a slight comment here. I'm absolutely blown away here by you guys.
I'm just hoping somebody puts an odd quid in. That 9 on the end is getting my OCD going. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:24 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:03 pm Just as a slight comment here. I'm absolutely blown away here by you guys.
I'm just hoping somebody puts an odd quid in. That 9 on the end is getting my OCD going. :lol:
I don't think Yorick wanted to get past the decimal point. Yorkshire thrift like donations in pence only...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:02 am
I don't think Yorick wanted to get past the decimal point. Yorkshire thrift like donations in pence only...
I put a full shilling in :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:02 am
Oh lor! Now it ends in 1. :D
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Is it ok to share the link on FB or would you prefer to keep it on here? (I've shared a lot for my friend out here that fundraises for her son and would like to share this if that's ok?)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 pm Is it ok to share the link on FB or would you prefer to keep it on here? (I've shared a lot for my friend out here that fundraises for her son and would like to share this if that's ok?)
That's very kind. It's a tricky one as lets just say the other place didn't take the idea quite as well as here and it honestly got a bit fucking arsey. I think it's slightly different here as people here know me and know him that much better and have an attachment. He's not just a faceless name on the internet to you lot.
Over on the other place it was all like "why don't you sell your Ebike" or "why don't you just race/do/etc less" it ended up with me having to almost justify my existence and if i wanted to go out and buy a beer, some dick would hold that against me.

I was going to pull the whole thing and just refund everyone... But i know that the people here would get properly offended with that as they've given in good faith for the lad without any prejudice or agenda..

It's shown all of the reasons i didn't want to create the link/gofundme in the first place...

This place and you lot are absolute gems
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:15 pm
Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:09 pm Is it ok to share the link on FB or would you prefer to keep it on here? (I've shared a lot for my friend out here that fundraises for her son and would like to share this if that's ok?)
That's very kind. It's a tricky one as lets just say the other place didn't take the idea quite as well as here and it honestly got a bit fucking arsey. I think it's slightly different here as people here know me and know him that much better and have an attachment. He's not just a faceless name on the internet to you lot.
Over on the other place it was all like "why don't you sell your Ebike" or "why don't you just race/do/etc less" it ended up with me having to almost justify my existence and if i wanted to go out and buy a beer, some dick would hold that against me.

I was going to pull the whole thing and just refund everyone... But i know that the people here would get properly offended with that as they've given in good faith for the lad without any prejudice or agenda..

It's shown all of the reasons i didn't want to create the link/gofundme in the first place...

Well the other place sux!! What a weird attitude :roll: (theirs, not yours!!)

No worries. I'll hold back and if it comes up in conversation with people I know I'll share that way instead.

Keep positive. This is a normal thing to do. I've watched Caroline fundraising for years and years to keep her son ski racing (because of an injury as a teenager, the French system wouldn't support him, so he skis for the UK but gets very very little funding if any :( ) - most people with kids that want to progress have to fundraise to support the dream. For people to get arsey about it is just so wrong. If they don't want to contribute, scroll by, not get pissy.

Just hoping it all helps enough to get him to the euro races :) :) xx
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:29 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:15 pm

Well the other place sux!! What a weird attitude :roll: (theirs, not yours!!)

No worries. I'll hold back and if it comes up in conversation with people I know I'll share that way instead.

Keep positive. This is a normal thing to do. I've watched Caroline fundraising for years and years to keep her son ski racing (because of an injury as a teenager, the French system wouldn't support him, so he skis for the UK but gets very very little funding if any :( ) - most people with kids that want to progress have to fundraise to support the dream. For people to get arsey about it is just so wrong. If they don't want to contribute, scroll by, not get pissy.

Just hoping it all helps enough to get him to the euro races :) :) xx
Amen Sister Noggin. :D :angry-cussingblack: 'em. Bloomin' cyclists. :lol: If James wants to go to France and show 'em how it's done then I'm sure us motorbicyclists can get him there. (Having clambered down some of the routes that they take in France he may need a parachute sponsor!). Early days but I'm willing to bet it's going to tick along nicely and it won't be 'Zut Alors!'* but 'Après moi vous paysans' for our young gravity master. :thumbup:

* I was in a pub in that Welsh Wales and someone had that on the back of their (motorbike) helmet...never really knew what it meant until recently but I rather liked the expression.
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Honestly we're more than positive about this year, he doesn't get to see the negative only me.

I can safely say that the money raised currently is enough to get him to the France race and we WILL be doing the French Cup race now (everything else being equal like injury etc) and that is 100% down to you guys. It may or may not be enough for everything for the trip, but it's honestly enough to fill the hole and given us the push to make it work.

Racing in Europe is such a massive thing for his racing, it's just mind blowing
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:09 pm Honestly we're more than positive about this year, he doesn't get to see the negative only me.

I can safely say that the money raised currently is enough to get him to the France race and we WILL be doing the French Cup race now (everything else being equal like injury etc) and that is 100% down to you guys. It may or may not be enough for everything for the trip, but it's honestly enough to fill the hole and given us the push to make it work.

Racing in Europe is such a massive thing for his racing, it's just mind blowing
On that - if anyone wants to stay 'near' ish to Les Menuires and go to the race, let me know and I'll put feelers out for accomm over that side (I have a mate in Doucy (73210) with a chalet but it's about an hour, so not much use to the Weeksys (but might be an option for others, especially if here by motorbike!!)

I am trying to find contacts with accommodation in Les Menuires/St Martin de Belleville/Val Thorens for that weekend tho :D Possibly not the time of year to try and sort it but thought I'd ask early just in case someone has an option :D
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Ok thoughts, James is a great kid and very personable, like his mum.
So instead of Dad asking for money James should do a simple video, introducing himself and a brief this is what I want to do followed by what he himself is doing to fund it, could be as simple as he cleans the car, he works somewhere then in addition he explains that more is always needed and what the plan is for his future. I think if people see him and see he is making an effort they will be more inclined to help. How about a charity event, some riding challenge and half of what he raises goes to charity and half to his funds ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:48 pm Ok thoughts, James is a great kid and very personable, like his mum.
So instead of Dad asking for money James should do a simple video, introducing himself and a brief this is what I want to do followed by what he himself is doing to fund it, could be as simple as he cleans the car, he works somewhere then in addition he explains that more is always needed and what the plan is for his future. I think if people see him and see he is making an effort they will be more inclined to help. How about a charity event, some riding challenge and half of what he raises goes to charity and half to his funds ?
Yeah. We're helping him coz of his dad. Otherwise nada.

If he wants outside help, he needs to put the effort in. Keeping sponsors happy is important in all walks of life.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ok this may alienate a bit and some may not agree here, but I don't necessarily agree with some bits.

The boy has the main priority currently with school, learning is what he's doing when he's not riding. He's never going to be a genius but he'll work at being good.
Regarding the plan for his future this is very much in line with his interests.

https://www.dirtschool.co.uk/pages/base-college

https://www.dirtschool.co.uk/

This is a hnd course over 3 years where he comes out with various MTB coaching, guiding etc qualifications. There's other aspects to it but that's the gist of it. To get there he needs to do well as school on GCSE and A levels so that's where our goals lie for him.
The riding and racing won't make a paying career for him, but this may.

Keeping sponsors happy is one of his strong points, there are contracts in terms of social media content that he has to adhere to and out of his team of 3 riders, he is by far the strongest at this.

He's also currently trying to fight us in his quest to get a job, nothing too crazy, just working in the pub, but we're actually not pushing this for the reasons above. If he's working there, he's not doing study work.
That doesn't mean he doesn't get fun or being a teenager, of course he does, but we're just trying to get him a decent start.