Dark visor query...

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Dark visor query...

Post by Dodgy69 »

What do you folks prefer, Separate or integrated ???

I like the look of a proper separate dark or smoked visor, especially for track use, but nowadays most helmets have the integrated sun visor included.

Thinking of tidying up the lid to match the new boots Santa's bringing me. 🎅👍
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Re: Dark visor query...

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm an Arai fan boi, they refuse to make a helmet with an integrated (internal) sun visor, so it's dark visor all the way for me...

Internal ones just aint cool (but a million times more practical).

Claude

Post by Claude »

I despise integrated visors. They look shite.

I’ve always gone for a dark/black visor but on the nxr the gold spectre looked ace so I went for that.
Last edited by Claude on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I have always preferred the proper dark visor so both my Arai's (Astro R and Tour X4) are fitted with them pretty much all the time but on long trips i carry a spare clear one just in case.

Legally i cant wear one when working so my Shoei Neotec2 is ideal as it has a drop down integrated one which is completely legal, but just as dark as the race black ones on my Arai's.

I have nerve damage to the right side of my face so cannot squint my right eye in any sunlight so dark visors save me loads of grief
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've got a dark visor on my TourX4, takes three hours to swap for the clear one :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:14 pm I've got a dark visor on my TourX4, takes three hours to swap for the clear one :)
:mrgreen:

Pain in the arse isnt it, hence mine stays on most of the time and a pair of MX clear goggles in the top box ;)

But at least the Tour X4 doesnt involve snapping the side pods off the Astro ..........again
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've never had an issue with side pods on any of my Arai's, I could swap visors in seconds on my AstroJ, ChaserV and AxcessII, I guess I've just got the knack.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Claude wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:12 pm I despise integrated visors. They look shite.

I’ve always gone for a dark/black visor but on the nxr the gold spectre looked ace so I went for that.

Agreed, they don't look great but as said, very practical for our indifferent weather when on the road. On track, there's only one winner.

Back to SBS.
Yamaha rocket 3
Druid

Post by Druid »

Like KFB I'm an Arai fan so I have a dark visor, although this one isn't as dark as my previous one.

I have no issues changing Arai visors either, 30 seconds and it's done...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The hjc I bought sold me on the integrated ones, really impressed. Sadly the helmet didn't fit 100% so was sold. But I totally get it.

My shoei is super comfortable and a full visor.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

After using internal visors I'll never go back to single visors.
Turn into the sun? Dark visor down.
Turn away from the sun or into an area of difficult light? Dark visor up and I still have protection from flies and so on.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've used Arai for decades and I've never had anything with an integrated visor/sunshade,so I can't comment about that.

Dark visor on a bright or sunny day,clear if very dull or at night.

I'm well used to Arai visor changing,after all this time it's virtually automatic.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Integrated visor all the way, once you've had one you won't go back.

Having said, I'm perfectly happy to go back if a helmet that fits well doesn't have an integrated one :D
Claude

Post by Claude »

I found when I commuted using the integrated drop down would steam/mist up. That put me off as well.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Over here I generally wear a black visor with a stick on insert. I was diagnosed with an eye problem the week before we moved here and told to avoid bright sun :mrgreen:

The sun here is berserk.

If it's a bit darker, I can just whip the insert out.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Proper job separate dark visor for me, along with 3 lines of electrical tape.
I did like the idea of integrated visors but my head didn't fit the new shoie shape.
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Claude wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 pm I found when I commuted using the integrated drop down would steam/mist up. That put me off as well.
Same, even using various various sprays never really cured it. The Neotec is the only helmet I have with an integral one and, like Bigyin, its for work. I was sceptical of the first helmet with integral visors as they sat very close to my nose, and with a non rounded edge, would cut in if I had a low speed tumble (wouldn't be a serious injury but be painful and bloody)>
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Claude wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:45 pm I found when I commuted using the integrated drop down would steam/mist up. That put me off as well.
dayglo jim wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:15 pm Same, even using various various sprays never really cured it. The Neotec is the only helmet I have with an integral one and, like Bigyin, its for work. I was sceptical of the first helmet with integral visors as they sat very close to my nose, and with a non rounded edge, would cut in if I had a low speed tumble (wouldn't be a serious injury but be painful and bloody)>
I have the same problem with the integrated steaming up my one and the only way i get round it is to have the chin vent open to get some airflow or not fully seal the clear visor which brings in wind noise unless i am behind 50cc peds on a not freezing, not windy day them i ride with the flip front up to get airflow

Thats a minor annoyance as the other day i have a 1600hrs MOT booked for the Multistrada so i wore the Neotec2 as the sun was out when i left home and set just after the MOT so drop down on the way in, clear on the way home as it was dark by the time i left as the tester is a mate so had a brew and chat ....saved me using my Arai and changing visors before the trip home. The integrated dark visors are not perfect but they have a function for the multi tasking among us.

For track use....... black visor :thumbup:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:21 pm I've never had an issue with side pods on any of my Arai's, I could swap visors in seconds on my AstroJ, ChaserV and AxcessII, I guess I've just got the knack.
Yep - that. Once you've worked the trick out, and practised it a bit, then it's easy and you can do it with the helmet on. I think I've popped the sidepod off maybe twice(?) swapping visors on the Arais.

Personally I prefer the simplicity of swappable visor. I've tried on a couple of helmets with integrated dark visors but I never seem to like them. Often they seem to not drop down far enough and I can 'see' the edge of the visor in my vision.
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:50 pm along with 3 lines of electrical tape.
Oh - yeah - and that. Sitty up bike and 'race-bred' helmet means that there's a lot of sky visible.
non quod, sed quomodo
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

The Arai integrated visor (a dark strip on the outside) solves the misting up but does look gash. It also works okay as a sun shade.