NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Mr. Dazzle

Re: NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:07 pm For sure, and I'm in no way giving the car industry a free pass on having shoddy security, I mean what would it cost them to have a timer or proximity system in the key fob?
My car has exactly that :lol:

If you don't move the key for more than a certain amount of time (something like 30s) it goes to sleep and stops transmitting/receiving, it wakes up again on moving. If you don't move it for a long time (sorta overnight) it goes into deep sleep and only wakes up when you push the button.

I get caught out by that sometimes, I walk up to the car and it won't let me in. It takes me a sec to remember why.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:51 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:07 pm For sure, and I'm in no way giving the car industry a free pass on having shoddy security, I mean what would it cost them to have a timer or proximity system in the key fob?
My car has exactly that :lol:

If you don't move the key for more than a certain amount of time (something like 30s) it goes to sleep and stops transmitting/receiving, it wakes up again on moving. If you don't move it for a long time (sorta overnight) it goes into deep sleep and only wakes up when you push the button.

I get caught out by that sometimes, I walk up to the car and it won't let me in. It takes me a sec to remember why.
Simple solution to a big problem that'd costs pennies per unit, why everyone doesn't do it I don't know, there has to a point where someone tells the accountants to jog on.

That said I'm not convinced I'd trust it to actually turn off and it ain't no hardship to have to drop my bike key in a bag at the end of the riding day.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Considering you still need a fob and somewhere to keep that fob, it'd not actually be that bad to have to push a button on said fob to send a signal to open the car and put it in the dashboard to start it. It'll never catch on though.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

On the XADV you can turn the keyless fob off. Hold down a button and it flashes green a couple of times then turns red (unpaired). To pair it again, you hold the button down again until it flashes green (paired). It only has a short working range but Honda gives you this ability in case the bike is just outside your window and the keys are within range etc.

TBH I'd rather it had a normal key. I'm forever going out to check i turned it all off and making sure my pockets are secured so i don't lose the fob whilst riding. When your keys are hanging out of the ignition you don't have this worry. I've turned keyless off on my car too.

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:59 pm Considering you still need a fob and somewhere to keep that fob, it'd not actually be that bad to have to push a button on said fob to send a signal to open the car and put it in the dashboard to start it. It'll never catch on though.
My current car is the first one I've had with "full" keyless entry. The previous few had the "keyless start" where you have to push a button to unlock it, but you don't need to put the key in the dash to start the car.

I wasn't really fussed about having full keyless before this car, but now I've had it I'd definitely consider it a nearly-must-have for my next car. Bloody love it. :lol: Just walk up and get in, off you go. Sounds like such a little difference, but it's great. It's helps that the key isn't shaped at all like a key, there's no option to insert it anywhere ( :shock: ) so it's sorta pebble shaped and small, fits in your pocket just lovely.

The car also won't lock if you don't take the key with you and it even has a nice polite lady say "Just a moment, you've fogotten your key" if you leave it in the cubby hole and open the driver's door. They've actually thought about it.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:08 pm On the XADV you can turn the keyless fob off. Hold down a button and it flashes green a couple of times then turns red (unpaired). To pair it again, you hold the button down again until it flashes green (paired). It only has a short working range but Honda gives you this ability in case the bike is just outside your window and the keys are within range etc.

TBH I'd rather it had a normal key. I'm forever going out to check i turned it all off and making sure my pockets are secured so i don't lose the fob whilst riding. When your keys are hanging out of the ignition you don't have this worry. I've turned keyless off on my car too.

You're carrying that when you go out ?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:44 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:08 pm On the XADV you can turn the keyless fob off. Hold down a button and it flashes green a couple of times then turns red (unpaired). To pair it again, you hold the button down again until it flashes green (paired). It only has a short working range but Honda gives you this ability in case the bike is just outside your window and the keys are within range etc.

You're carrying that when you go out ?
Yup. Well, it's in the underseat storage box.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

How heavy is that lot?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dunno. I'll get another chain, so I keep one at home and one at work so it wont be an issue, but for now, i need it as locked as it can be, more so at work, but thats the perils of working in London I suppose?
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Can't you get the chain through something on the chassis?

It'd be the work of 2 minutes to whip the wheel off and chuck the thing in a van.
non quod, sed quomodo
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Got a couple of Almax (Almii ??) sat here if you need a short-term solution....
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

When's part 3..🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm

It'd be the work of 2 minutes to whip the wheel off and chuck the thing in a van.
There is a limit to what I can do tbh. It was al2ays going to be risky owning another of these, but I just can’t be frightened out of owning things. I’ve sort of come to terms with losing it in some ways! :wtf: I take some comfort in the Met Police are resourcing multiple cars and staff to police the 20mph speed limits. That should send outa clear warning to bike thieves that they could be next! :roll:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:49 pm When's part 3..🤷‍♂️
As soon as this has been nicked. So I’m currently making a shortlist.
:thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

If they can't get through the chain, won't they just stab you for the keys?

Better get a ballistic vest.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

On a more positive note the first tank of fuel delivered 71.6 mpg! :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:05 pm If they can't get through the chain, won't they just stab you for the keys?

Better get a ballistic vest.
If they break in the house to get the keys, I’ll just tell the wife they haven’t wiped their feet! Woe betide them…
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Grabbed a 16mm Almax so I wont have to lug the King Cobra sized Pragmasis around! I also ordered up some heated grips for it and will deffo get them fitted. Never used to be a fan of heated grips but i missed them this week for sure!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Ahh heated grips. Being a confirmed (get it) FWB now, I have muffs for the short trips I may possibly make in this fair bright winter sun, but the roads are so slippy, that I think that shall just let the bike rest on its CTEC battery tender for now... Skoda Superb is much better for these journeys!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:58 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:08 pm
Something like this, with the chain through it or secured by it? Even more weight, though.

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/r ... stant-lock
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: