Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by mangocrazy »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:39 pm I'm lazy - the number of times I've driven to town and parked up, walked into a shop, they don't have it. got back in the car, driven to the other side of town to a different place, they don't have it, drive somewhere else, I can get it for you in three weeks. It's bollocks.

Easy to hate Amazon but they have saved me masses of time pissing about not getting what I want in local shops
The ubiquity of stuff online has basically allowed bricks and mortar shops to stock far less than pre-online days. I went to B&Q for something they had listed as available online to be told that we don't have it in stock in store and we can't order it in for you - you'll have to buy it online. I needed some epoxy putty - the stuff that looks like a stick of rock, you cut off a piece, knead it in your hand until both parts are thoroughly mixed, then apply - in my case to a leaking solder plumbing joint (I couldn't be arsed to do a proper job) and I needed it now, not in a few days time.

I tried all the local plumber's outfits and drew a blank, then in desperation tried my local bike shop. True to form, they had the exact item I wanted. I'm not quite sure what the moral of this little tale is, except that if you're in or near Sheffield, Manhattan Motorcycles on the Chesterfield Road are absolute top trumps.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Wasn't tempted to buy an Enfield while you were there?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:40 pm Wasn't tempted to buy an Enfield while you were there?
This time I was in too much of a rush, but I do normally check out the stock they have. Perhaps one day...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
cheb

Post by cheb »

cheb wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:41 pm One amusing thing from Amazon, for me anyway, is their building a huge hub in Bristol has allowed that city to continue its tradition of slavery and poor working conditions. Got to keep heritage current.

My biggest gripe yesterday was the lack of communication between Brio wooden railway tunnel designers and the makers of the rolling stock. They need to agree on a common loading gauge.
And their bridge designers need a talking to too. Unsupported joints in the middle of an arch? Even the first Tay bridge wasn't that bad.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:30 pm I went to B&Q for something they had listed as available online to be told that we don't have it in stock in store and we can't order it in for you - you'll have to buy it online
Their online website became a marketplace for other approved verified sellers some time back, you need to keep a sharp eye out to be sure you're buying from B&Q and not someone else.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Frustratingly for me my usual suppliers of stuff, Toolstation and Screwfix, have more and more items as collection only. Nor will they deliver anything with solvents in.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:18 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:30 pm I went to B&Q for something they had listed as available online to be told that we don't have it in stock in store and we can't order it in for you - you'll have to buy it online
Their online website became a marketplace for other approved verified sellers some time back, you need to keep a sharp eye out to be sure you're buying from B&Q and not someone else.
Not the only ones...I was looking at some Sorel boots (because I saw someone in a pair and quite liked the look of them*) found M&S (on-line only) did them on what was clearly a portal arrangement. Have bought a few things on other sites that have been despatched from somewhere else.

* Turns out they're a brand from an American outdoors outfit - Columbia - and reviews aren't great.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Sorel used to be great but the name was bought & the usual happened...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:53 pm Sorel used to be great but the name was bought & the usual happened...
Apparently they were an independent outfit in Ontario called Kaufman and they went bankrupt and Columbia bought the name. Yeah, Columbia are pretty budget.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Had a pair of sorel boots for a few years (bought just before COVID) now bought from sports pursuit and to be honest quality is fine, durable and comfortable.
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Scorpion exhaust charging £13 to send out a £30 db killer! :roll:
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

People who don't learn from their mistakes.
Was at our flat t'other day and there was a serious thumping at the door. I went down and answered it, and it was a bailiff, wanting payment for unpaid CAZ fine.
'Are you Mr xxxxx?'
Nope! May I enquire what this is about?
Do you know where Mr xxxx is?
Nope! Have a good day!

Mr xxxx is the step son, and I went into a drawer only to find 2 more Bristol PCNs for CAZ.

Luckily they were both the old style PCN which has procedural errors in them and can be challenged via a tribunal if needs be, which was done immediately.
As for the bailiff, we asked for the judgement to be set aside and re submitted, which I guess will be a £69 hit rather than the £400+ as Bristol council have cottoned on to the loopholes so he'll have to pay!
Daft Prat has 2 cars, 1 is CAZ exempt, the other is a 90s Jag, so he takes the Jag into Bristol, then 'forgets' he has to pay.
Piss well and truly boiled!
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Just found out that you can only use the DVLA online registration number transfer tool/service during working hours...

Maybe someone at DVLA monitors / approves them in real-time? Seems a little odd, though.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

ChrisW wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:16 pm Just found out that you can only use the DVLA online registration number transfer tool/service during working hours...

Maybe someone at DVLA monitors / approves them in real-time? Seems a little odd, though.
Perhaps they turn the office power off at weekends?
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:19 pm
ChrisW wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:16 pm Just found out that you can only use the DVLA online registration number transfer tool/service during working hours...

Perhaps they turn the office power off at weekends?
Didn't occur to me until you mentioned that but it jut says 'only available 7am - 7pm' - nothing about weekends.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Supermarkets already having easter eggs & hot X buns on the shelves, FFS I'm still eating xmas pudding
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:07 pm Supermarkets already having easter eggs & hot X buns on the shelves, FFS I'm still eating xmas pudding
Did you BBQ the pudding?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:07 pm Supermarkets already having easter eggs & hot X buns on the shelves, FFS I'm still eating xmas pudding

We've not started on the cake yet...it'll be a lunchbox job.
Yamaha rocket 3
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:16 pm Did you BBQ the pudding?
Pish, BBQ's are meat only zones
Dodgy69 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:36 pm
We've not started on the cake yet...it'll be a lunchbox job.
To be fair I only opened our today, and when I say 'our's I mean mine as no one else likes it.
I've still got 2 Xmas puds from last year in the cupboard that never got opened
Felix

Post by Felix »

7 toll 7 im told as i cant apply for a reg doc.

Edit. You since seen that :D