Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Bigjawa

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Bigjawa »

Felix wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:54 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:10 pm Cooker is fucking about. Put a ring on and it heats up, then dies a few seconds later. Does it on all four rings.

Fucking thing is less than 18 months old.
Not a safety feature? put a pot on it

It had a pan on it, it would cut out the inner element and keep the outer on, so basically a low heat at best, tried the back ring and it would just quit as soon as it got hot.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:22 pm
Yorick wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 4:21 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 3:10 pm Cooker is fucking about. Put a ring on and it heats up, then dies a few seconds later. Does it on all four rings.

Fucking thing is less than 18 months old.
Take it back under warranty.
Not much use on boxing day when trying to cook food I expect

I was browning meat for a big pot of slow cooker stew. Thank feck for camping stoves, air fryer was on standby though. But could be worse, a load of people lost power over here at lunchtime on the 25th for several hours. More than a few folk had Quality Street for Xmas dinner.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Felix wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 pm

One of these not help you? At least you can turn sharp with one arm at speed leaving not so great one to just hold the wheel if needed

https://www.dimoohome.co.uk/products/un ... d_source=1
They're called suicide knobs or Brodie knobs here.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:21 am
Noggin wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:53 pm
Felix wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:38 pm
One of these not help you? At least you can turn sharp with one arm at speed leaving not so great one to just hold the wheel if needed

https://www.dimoohome.co.uk/products/un ... d_source=1
They are great. Had one in my Transit. But apparently they aren't exactly legal for normal cars. Although I was told that before I had the disabled for work paperwork. Equally, I'm not actually registered disabled proper, so probably wouldn't be allowed to use it??
Does that mean they are legal for vans and minibus's? Perfect :lol:

BTW when i say turn the wheel faster i did not mean you driving round bends faster but one handed/arm would have to work faster/harder than two so any aid to relieve the shoulder must be a bonus.
LOL I did wonder!! LOL I have pretty much mastered the art of heel turns (heel of hand!) on hairpins and parking out of necessity. I'm now trying to use my right arm more - mostly because it can do more than before, so I need to use it!! It's really the constant gear changes that are the biggest issue. Living at the top of 21 hairpins means that if I have a manual vehicle, there is constant gear changing to get down and back up - the actual driving to the airport is fine. But if I'm on two or three trips to the valley rail stations, then that's really not a good thing in a manual vehicle.

On the knobs (not the tourist drivers :angelic-green: ) I was told they 100% weren't legal in my Transit as I wasn't registered disabled! But if I had big bus or a lorry they would be fine :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
cheb

Post by cheb »

Who told you they weren't legal? Someone who actually knows the law or just someone?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

cheb wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:04 am Who told you they weren't legal? Someone who actually knows the law or just someone?
I can't remember, I was in a bit of a pain-addle mess at the time!! And it was probably September 2017, so I have no idea! But, I really don't need one, it's the gear changes that can be a problem - depending on the planned transfers for the day :)

But I guess it would be good know if they are legal or not in case/when life gets more challenging in a few years! I'm pretty sure I was told that they weren't legal because the van would fail an MOT with it on the steering wheel (I just planned to take it off for the MOT!)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

9am 25th December

'Mum' of the family is explaining to the chef when to put the turkey on to make sure it's ready at 15hr

10:30 am
'Chef' to me; "I can't believe she was telling an American how to cook turkey, has she any idea how many turkeys I've cooked"

14:55 (5 minutes before dinner is due)
'Chef' to me "Does this turkey look cooked to you?"

Give me strength. I swear if the family hadn't been 30 minutes late to dinner, it would not have been ready !!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

My rule of thumb with cooking turkey was to put it in the oven just before you went to bed and cook it on a low-ish heat, covered with foil. If you've got a cat it will tell you when it's ready...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:48 am On the knobs (not the tourist drivers :angelic-green: ) I was told they 100% weren't legal in my Transit as I wasn't registered disabled! But if I had big bus or a lorry they would be fine :lol: :lol:
Is that even a thing?
Here you can claim DLA or get a blue badge but there's no official register, having one of those helps prove a disability but is not essential.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:55 pm Image
My Dentists called toffees his pension plan! :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Went out drinking last saturday and my F-i-L got really drunk! I've never seen him drunk before, let alone really pissed! I had to help him out of the pub and into and out of the car and then drag him up the steps into his place. I have crippled my back because of this and its marred Xmas somewhat which has BMP.

To further BMP I have the chance to see an old friend of 40 years that I haven't seen for a few years now, but I probably cant go as walking and standing is uncomfortable to say the least. The meet up was planned for NYE afternoon so the pubs will be busy and the chance of getting a table slim. :thumbdown:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

cheb wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:04 am Who told you they weren't legal? Someone who actually knows the law or just someone?
I've had one on every 4x4 I've ever owned, so much easier for reversing with trailers. And I fitted one to my truck for work.
cheb

Post by cheb »

That the spark who wired this house used the disco ball function on his laser level. Even sockets next to each other are on different levels
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:13 pm That the spark who wired this house used the disco ball function on his laser level. Even sockets next to each other are on different levels
Diversity innit.

Different heights for different folks.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:13 pm That the spark who wired this house used the disco ball function on his laser level. Even sockets next to each other are on different levels
I don't think I've met a sparky that owned/used a laser level. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

People who brake every time they see headlights or the slightest curve in the road!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Demannu wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:52 pm People who brake every time they see headlights or the slightest curve in the road!
This 1,000,000%.

There's a road on my commute, on the way home I can coast for about a mile and a half, no need to touch throttle or brakes... unless there's a Yaris or a Jazz in front, then you're on the brakes every 15 seconds.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Someone on here called it "comfort braking", which I think sums it up perfect. No braking force is applied but people are comforted by having a foot on the brake pedal.
Skub

Post by Skub »

It's an eyesight thing too.

There are lots of old folk driving here with very poor eyesight,especially night vision. I know one particular bloke with cataracts and he really should not be driving. He's a prime example of the 'see lights and brake' brigade.

They don't have camera vans for that,unfortunately.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955