A right now thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Cousin Jack

Re: A right now thread

Post by Cousin Jack »

Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by dinner
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by Dinner. This Xmas in a hotel lark involves a great deal of food.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:45 pm Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by dinner
Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:47 pm Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by Dinner. This Xmas in a hotel lark involves a great deal of food.

Eating for two?
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Cooking dinner for me and Mrs M.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:00 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:45 pm Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by dinner
Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:47 pm Digesting Afternoon Tea, and waiting for canapés and champagne at 7:00, followed by Dinner. This Xmas in a hotel lark involves a great deal of food.

Eating for two?
No, just brain fade.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

20231225_142422.jpg
20231225_142422.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 387 times
20231225_142430.jpg
20231225_142430.jpg (1.42 MiB) Viewed 387 times
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Lunch eaten, bottle of wine finished, speech by murdering adulterous bastard avoided by doing the washing up, must be time for an afternoon nap before family facetime call.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

In Gatwick departures with M.

Have a merry Boxing Day and happy New Year everyone.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Once I've finished this mug of tea I'll off to the shed to do stuff, cut firewood, make a couple of door frame facings, a bit of tidying.
Last edited by cheb on Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Working, from 'ome.
I've got a strategy to write.

It's Boxing Day and usually I'd take the day off but I need to get this done, and anyway yesterday my daughter had me drilling walls and putting shelves up on Christmas morning, so today is less physical and I'm actually getting paid for it.

The home entertainment is watching two family members (in Grinch PJs) robustly challenging each other on the best way to set up a 3D printer for their new business. Once it's all set up and ironed out I'll have a look at what bike parts it can make.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:55 am the best way to set up a 3D printer for their new business. Once it's all set up and ironed out I'll have a look at what bike parts it can make.
Pretty much anything you want provided you can code it and the printer is big enough, I'd have thought.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:01 am
Potter wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:55 am the best way to set up a 3D printer for their new business. Once it's all set up and ironed out I'll have a look at what bike parts it can make.
Pretty much anything you want provided you can code it and the printer is big enough, I'd have thought.
Maybe, when I say 'business' it's really just a hobby that will hopefully be cost neutral when a few bits have been sold to cover costs.
He's currently cursing because whatever he was making has collapsed, apparently the support wasn't good enough, whatever that means.

I think the cost of raw material means you'd have to sell stuff to make it pay for itself, otherwise it's cheaper to buy what you want off the shelf.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:08 am
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:01 am
Maybe, when I say 'business' it's really just a hobby that will hopefully be cost neutral when a few bits have been sold to cover costs.
He's currently cursing because whatever he was making has collapsed, apparently the support wasn't good enough, whatever that means.

I think the cost of raw material means you'd have to sell stuff to make it pay for itself, otherwise it's cheaper to buy what you want off the shelf.
A 3D printer is one of those toys that I really quite fancy, but which would never pay for itself in my hands. It would be ideal to make prototype parts, or parts for the LC that are NLA from Yamaha. One of the guys on the LC nutters forum has been remanufacturing stuff like LC fuse boxes that use blade fuses rather than glass ones, and leakdown testing kits. He's putting them out at not too much over cost and folk are biting his hand off for bits (me included). That's the kind of use I'd see one for.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We use ours (at work) for fixtures, jigs, clamps...little knick-knacky stuff for holding stuff while you bond it, measure it, whack it for a noise test and whatever.

It's a bit like people at home "turning up spacers" (never quite figured out why people have so much to space, TBH) but with more axes.

I've used it for "proper" parts too, for example the top caps on the pylons of this wing are MJF printed and painted. I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest maybe don't try and get McLaren ad your first customer ;)

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yebbut your knick-knacky things are in a different league to what most of us would use one for. :D

Having said that, give me a lathe, a milling machine and a 3D printer and I could keep myself occupied all winter long...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I can also spend a grand on having a bunch of different filaments knocking about and not even raise an eyebrow :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:26 am
Having said that, give me a lathe, a milling machine and a 3D printer and I could keep myself occupied all winter long...
I've got all those and I can make all the stuff I see people selling on the bike forums, but I cba, I don't need the money and I don't want to spend the time making all those things unless I need one for myself.

My lathe and mill are manual, so I can't just programme it and walk off, I have to stand there actually turning wheels and changing bits, so it's time consuming, which might be ok when I have all the time in the world, but I don't at the moment.

They're very handy though for turning up one-off wheel spacers and little bits, or machining stuff down to fit.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:36 am
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:26 am
I've got all those and I can make all the stuff I see people selling on the bike forums, but I cba, I don't need the money and I don't want to spend the time making all those things unless I need one for myself.

My lathe and mill are manual, so I can't just programme it and walk off, I have to stand there actually turning wheels and changing bits, so it's time consuming, which might be ok when I have all the time in the world, but I don't at the moment.

They're very handy though for turning up one-off wheel spacers and little bits, or machining stuff down to fit.
I wouldn't be viewing it as a money-making operation, just something to fill my time in the dog days of winter. I'm retired so my time is my own to do whatever I want, and it's surprising just how many little spacers and knick-kacks you need when tatting about with bikes.

So you've got all the gear and no time to use it, and I've got plenty of spare time but only a pillar drill to my name... :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:42 am
I wouldn't be viewing it as a money-making operation, just something to fill my time in the dog days of winter. I'm retired so my time is my own to do whatever I want, and it's surprising just how many little spacers and knick-kacks you need when tatting about with bikes.

So you've got all the gear and no time to use it, and I've got plenty of spare time but only a pillar drill to my name... :D
I had similar ideas, I sometimes have days where I have the whole day free, so I figured that with all that gear I'd knock up a few bits and pieces and perhaps sell them, mostly for something to do but also then the kit would pay for itself.

But it takes ages to make stuff manually, I can easily end up spending hours just turning up fairly simple stuff, so I decided that I wasn't going to take on work because as soon as you announce it then loads of people want stuff and the hours literally disappear very quickly. I ended up with a full day of machining stuff for less than I can earn in an hour or so doing easy consultancy stuff on my laptop with a brew in hand.

I've knocked the odd bit up for mates and I still will, but taking on paid machining work has to be a labour of love, at least doing it all purely manually anyway. If you have access to better kit and you can knock up twenty after loading a programme in and letting it do it's thing automatically then maybe.

This 3d printer is good, it's mainly for Mrs Potter to make things for her hobby, then sell some so it all pays for itself and her hobby is free, she can load up plans for what she wants and then get on with stuff whilst it does it's thing, all you have to do is remove it when it's finished and press play again.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You kinda need to do some CAD in between surely :D