New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
JackyJoll

Re: New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Post by JackyJoll »

Horse

Post by Horse »

Could you do a Streetview link? I'd like to see how they are positioned relative to the corner.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Would it be on Streetview yet?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Of course, it's not a new idea ;)

Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:23 am Would it be on Streetview yet?
Dunno. Only one way to find out :)

The NZ ones might be, but 'on the Coromandel loop' narrows it to about 40 miles!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:44 am I respect your comments Spin, however, they don't sit happily with what I see daily and particularly unsettling from a motorcycle forum. I do not understand the direction of fault you follow.

I understand to 'stay alive' I have to avoid the collision but the facts of the matter are, these corner cutters are in the lane of oncoming traffic. They are at fault. Any collision would be their fault, any witness statement would surely point this fact out, as opposed to rider drifting wide.

I would imagine but not 100% on this but, a rider drifting wide collision would possibly occur later in the bend where as a corner cutting collision would be early.

Enjoying thread BTW. 👍
The point is that I'm not assigning 'fault' in any way. I'm simply saying "what is".

The bend 'trimmers' - as I called them in an article on exactly this problem that I wrote for 'The Road' years and years ago - are a royal PITA which frustrate and annoy me, but the fact is that many more riders kill themselves by hitting something head-on after THEY have crossed to the wrong side of the centre line than are taken out by drivers cutting corners or running wide themselves.

Given that riders make up just a tiny percentage of road users but are massively over-represented in fatal crashes, it's hardly surprising this initiative is targeted at riders.

And why shouldn't one function of a motorcycle forum be to improve our understanding of what causes crashes and what kills bikers?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:09 am Image
This photo tells me this is an 's' bend looking at the markers on r/h side of the road. Right of central. It doesn't say where we should be on the bend but I would assume we stick to that line on a bike throughout the bend.

This line could put us in danger of corner cutters. On B roads, many have gravel or farm crap in the middle section, so moving off this 'line guide' could be hazardous on entry to bend.

The drifting biker is a completely different rider error which can have fatal consequences . He who is most vulnerable, should be most cautious.

I also believe it is down to the biking fraternity to highlight these potential hot spots, as the car only fraternity would have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm going on about. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
cheb

Post by cheb »

Horse wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:20 am Could you do a Streetview link? I'd like to see how they are positioned relative to the corner.
That doesn't look like where I remember them to be, but that's not very reliable.

I'll try travelling the route on streetview to see if I can find where I think they are.