New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Dodgy69

Re: New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Post by Dodgy69 »

One is right, one is wrong. When in my car I have nowhere to go. On bike, yes I do get out of the way I'm still here. But this poor corner cutting is potentially lethal and better training or signage may help correct a very dangerous habit.
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:34 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:16 pm If the road has a central white line and we all stay on our own side of the road it's all good. Unclassified no white line , biggest vehicle wins in reality, so caution required.

On my way to work, there is an 'S' bend and many cars cut the r/h whether something is coming or not. On bike I'm on r/h side of my lane on the L/h and these twats are in my path.

Driving standard's have never been so bad, whatever statistics we may read. 'Don't cut corner ' signs required.
There is a nautical expression - "standing into danger". If you know cars cut the corner, why put yourself in their path?
If it's a tight blend bend, expect an oncoming vehicle to encroach. On TRC, Val posted an image of this - an HGV.

If it's a more open bend and you can see the approaching vehicle, give it some room.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The 'S' bend i refer to is a good 40mph bend and you can see oncoming vehicles. The offender's are simply, non biking poor car drivers in their own little bubble, they have zero consideration for other road users. Yes, if nothing coming and good visibility, no problem, but I'm talking about the ones who don't give a shit if someone is coming or not.

The only thing I would give them is a bullet, if it was legal to do so. 😊👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

As my mate Matt says, "easily cured by a simple injection - of lead".

From your pov, speed up to get through before they get there. I'm guessing that any suggestion to achieve the same by slowing wouldn't be well received ;)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Correct...it's my space. Lane discipline required in corners. it's not difficult. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Video on YouTube. Search for Road Safety GB Festival
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:54 pm it's my space
Just looking for that in the Highway Code.

What other people should or shouldn't do is irrelevant - it's about adapting to what they actually DO.

If it's a 40 mph bend and you can "see through it" you don't need to hang out on the right-hand side of the left-hander, do you?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I could borrow my mates tractor and drive on the wrong side of the road for 20 minutes, see if they all adapt.?? 😉

My space = my side of my road. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

By what I'm seeing these days, the highway code ain't worth the paper it's written on. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 am One is right, one is wrong.
Crashing when you’re right is actually wrong.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:34 pm By what I'm seeing these days, the highway code ain't worth the paper it's written on. 🤷‍♂️
Especially the online version.
The Spin Doctor

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:49 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:34 pm By what I'm seeing these days, the highway code ain't worth the paper it's written on. 🤷‍♂️
Especially the online version.
Beat me to it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:48 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:44 am One is right, one is wrong.
Crashing when you’re right is actually wrong.
But you'll be dead right.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:44 am Any signs for car drivers cutting r/h corners. 😡
Yamaha rocket 3
Amulree

Post by Amulree »

I haven't seen these signs, and the ones illustrated show no indication of an impending corner. On the face of it they could be warning riders to avoid potholed road margins. Some Highland roads have very rutted and uneven margins - good enough to have you off if your speed was up. I must say, coming at it cold, that is what I'd have thought!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Amulree wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:32 pm I haven't seen these signs, and the ones illustrated show no indication of an impending corner. On the face of it they could be warning riders to avoid potholed road margins.

I must say, coming at it cold, that is what I'd have thought!
The video includes alternative views that people had.
The Spin Doctor

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:13 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:44 am Any signs for car drivers cutting r/h corners. 😡
I could have sworn I'd explained why... because car drivers cutting corners and colliding with bikes aren't the problem, but riders running wide themselves and colliding with cars is - that's what kills motorcyclists on these roads.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I respect your comments Spin, however, they don't sit happily with what I see daily and particularly unsettling from a motorcycle forum. I do not understand the direction of fault you follow.

I understand to 'stay alive' I have to avoid the collision but the facts of the matter are, these corner cutters are in the lane of oncoming traffic. They are at fault. Any collision would be their fault, any witness statement would surely point this fact out, as opposed to rider drifting wide.

I would imagine but not 100% on this but, a rider drifting wide collision would possibly occur later in the bend where as a corner cutting collision would be early.

Enjoying thread BTW. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:44 am I respect your comments Spin, however, they don't sit happily with what I see daily and particularly unsettling from a motorcycle forum. I do not understand the direction of fault you follow.

I understand to 'stay alive' I have to avoid the collision but the facts of the matter are, these corner cutters are in the lane of oncoming traffic. They are at fault.
They may well be at fault. It could be that they didn't see you (head on, a near to, is worst case for identifying then estimating speed and distance), or they're just just going too fast to stay in lane, or they misjudge the bend, or "There's never anyone there".

But none of that matters.

You know it can happen. It's your choice whether you put yourself there, where they can get you.

Along with that, Spin's making the point that it doesn't feature highly in bike crash stats, but running wide on bends does.

FWIW part of my work over the last few years has involved identifying how drivers react to signs. Often, they don't. Instead, they're more likely to only do so when there's something blocking their way. Even then, not always.
Last edited by Horse on Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:44 am any witness statement would surely point this fact out
The dead witness with the knee sliders on would surely not.

Obeying the law and the HC and avoiding “fault” are only a part of road safety.