XSR900GP

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

Re: XSR900GP

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:09 am
I don't see any difference between the base model and the GP other than the posh frock. The base model has the quickshifter, 6 axis IMU, slipper clutch, cruise control, blah blah blah.
To be fair to him it might be my mistake, I went in with "This bike is too expensive because it's only a fairly unsophisticated bike with fancy paint" - and he then proceeded to tell me about the bits on it that make it a good bike and why I wasn't being fair to it. I assumed that he was telling me about all the bits that made it different to the base model. What I perhaps should have asked is exactly how is it different to the base model.

But if we're still at "It's a standard bike with fancy paint" then I guess it's still too expensive at sixteen grand OTR with just a few catalogue options.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:20 am Just been talking (briefly) to a Yamaha bloke about the XSR900GP, he said it's built on the MT platform and it has the electronics package from the R1 and various other premium bits from other bikes, can't remember if he said it has a QS, but apparently the electrics and bits are top notch, and it adds up to a bike that is quite a way above a standard XSR.

I was moaning that it's an XSR with fancy paint and he said it wasn't, it's a bit more Gucci than I was giving it credit for.
I wouldn't pay a penny extra just for fancy electronics.
Only good money for me is spent on suspension and brakes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:38 pm
I have no idea if they're worth it, the newest bike in my garage is from 1981 :lol:

I've ridden/owned newer bikes but nothing on them made any difference to me, I've test ridden some of the latest Ducatis and neither did any of that, so I'm probably the same as you.

If I did trackdays and regularly pushed limits then that might change but I ride steady these days so I don't need anything fancy to make me faster and I can't see how any of the current electronics packages would make me enjoy the bike more. That's probably why I don't have anything made in the last forty-odd years in my garage.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:38 pm
I have no idea if they're worth it, the newest bike in my garage is from 1981 :lol:

I've ridden/owned newer bikes but nothing on them made any difference to me, I've test ridden some of the latest Ducatis and neither did any of that, so I'm probably the same as you.

If I did trackdays and regularly pushed limits then that might change but I ride steady these days so I don't need anything fancy to make me faster and I can't see how any of the current electronics packages would make me enjoy the bike more. That's probably why I don't have anything made in the last forty-odd years in my garage.
On track, decent suspension is far more valuable than a quick shifter and auto blipper.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

As I've already said, I'm not very impressed with the quick shifter and auto blipper on mine, I certainly wouldn't pay extra for them, traction control is okay, but I wouldn't miss it if it wasn't there, I do like the adjustable throttle response, you can make the bike fairly tame (for a 140 bhp bike) or mental depending on what mood you're in.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:36 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:09 am
I don't see any difference between the base model and the GP other than the posh frock. The base model has the quickshifter, 6 axis IMU, slipper clutch, cruise control, blah blah blah.
To be fair to him it might be my mistake, I went in with "This bike is too expensive because it's only a fairly unsophisticated bike with fancy paint" - and he then proceeded to tell me about the bits on it that make it a good bike and why I wasn't being fair to it. I assumed that he was telling me about all the bits that made it different to the base model. What I perhaps should have asked is exactly how is it different to the base model.

But if we're still at "It's a standard bike with fancy paint" then I guess it's still too expensive at sixteen grand OTR with just a few catalogue options.
I think that all the latest CP3 derivatives have the same suspension, brakes and electronics package, with the exception of the MT-09 SP which has an Ohlins shock with remote preload adjuster and BPF Kayaba forks. They all have the R1-derived 6 axis IMU etc. etc. The big difference between the MT-09 and the XSR models is that the XSR (all variants) have a longer swingarm than the MT-09, making it less wheelie-prone and more stable. To me that's a big selling point for the XSR models.

But yes, probably the right question would have been 'what are the differences between the GP and the base XSR model'?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:31 pm The big difference between the MT-09 and the XSR models is that the XSR (all variants) have a longer swingarm than the MT-09, making it less wheelie-prone and more stable. To me that's a big selling point for the XSR models.
Sounds like a minus point to me
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:36 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:31 pm The big difference between the MT-09 and the XSR models is that the XSR (all variants) have a longer swingarm than the MT-09, making it less wheelie-prone and more stable. To me that's a big selling point for the XSR models.
200 gee gees negates that problem :obscene-birdiedoublered:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:36 pm
I can understand that, but then I did fit a 2 inch longer than standard swingarm to my LC for just the same reasons.
Le_Fromage_Grande

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:46 pm I can understand that, but then I did fit a 2 inch longer than standard swingarm to my LC for just the same reasons.
Doesn't it make it a bit "tippy" into corners?
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:06 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:46 pm I can understand that, but then I did fit a 2 inch longer than standard swingarm to my LC for just the same reasons.
Doesn't it make it a bit "tippy" into corners?
This was back in the 1980s, but from memory it made a genuine improvement, probably because the swingarm was made from box section steel and was much stiffer than the standard one. With a Spax shock fitted it steered and handled pretty well. But in the late 80s I put it all back to standard and sold all the 'upgrade' bits.

Then stuck it in the back of the garage and forgot about it for 25 years...
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The base mt does come standard with everything except fancy suspension, heated grips and cruise.

QS are ace imo, On the road you can make use of ups but downs not so much, mainly very hard braking, on track yes, yes, yes. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:25 pm The base mt does come standard with everything except fancy suspension, heated grips and cruise.

QS are ace imo, On the road you can make use of ups but downs not so much, mainly very hard braking, on track yes, yes, yes. 👍
I must ride differently to you because I find mine a bit pointless on up changes but really good for down changes, on the brakes into a corner I don't have to pull the clutch in or blip the throttle as I change down.

Of course this could all prove to be a disaster in two years time when the gearbox shits itself because of my poor down changes.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:38 pm Of course this could all prove to be a disaster in two years time when the gearbox shits itself because of my poor down changes.
that's the whole point of the QS, you can't have bad changes, you push the lever, it does the rest.. that's the whole thing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:39 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:38 pm Of course this could all prove to be a disaster in two years time when the gearbox shits itself because of my poor down changes.
that's the whole point of the QS, you can't have bad changes, you push the lever, it does the rest.. that's the whole thing.
You've not seen me use it, trying to stop myself from blipping the throttle on down changes and closing the throttle on up changes isn't going well, I'm seriously tempted to disconnect it, I'm trying to learn a different way of changing gear after 40 years of riding.
Honda Owner
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I never liked a QS on the road but loved it on the track. I certainly wouldn't get concerned about my road bike not having one, in fact I'd rather a bike that didn't....
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

v8-powered wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 4:23 pm I never liked a QS on the road but loved it on the track. I certainly wouldn't get concerned about my road bike not having one, in fact I'd rather a bike that didn't....
Agree. I don't have a bike with a QS, but if I ever did buy one it would have to be able to be disabled (IYSWIM)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Where I find the blipper best is going down the box quick, say 5 to 2/1st. On the road I have no need.

They ain't necessary but make riding on track easier and more fun. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:37 pm Where I find the blipper best is going down the box quick, say 5 to 2/1st. On the road I have no need.

They ain't necessary but make riding on track easier and more fun. 👍
I find it good on the road for going down 3 gears as you come into a round about, I tend to short shift up to 6th on a dual carriageway and then come down 3 gears when I get to a round about, the quick shifter is really good for this.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

I have been 'blipping' myself since I was in primary school and riding offroad (about 40yrs now), so it's likely that I'll never get out of the habit of doing it, so I've found that anything that does it for me is pretty redundant because I can't get used to it.

And honestly fellas, none of us are professional racers that need that extra quarter of a second a lap to make the difference of whether our careers take off or not, so I'm not in any danger of craving of a QS or a blipper.
I'm drawn to the conclusion that a lot of this stuff is gimmicky bollocks IMO.