Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:03 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 am I was given a very nice IWC watch by the lovely Mrs. G. back in 2019. It is indeed a lovely thing.

I now have an appointment at the 'London boutique', made for me by the 'concierge service', whereby a member of the 'customer liaison team' will see if they can assist me....

A quick Google indicates that a new clasp is c. £400. On a four year old watch that was, it's reasonable to say, quite trumpy.
How long should it last?

If you're feeling bolshy, Google whatever the replacement for the Sale of Goods Act is and its suggestions.
Ah, but my dear Mr. Nag, the Sale of Goods Act is now defunct, replaced by the Consumer Rights Act. It would state that that goods should be suitable for the purpose for which they are sold. I would argue four years on a 'premium' watch is below the minimum. They could argue that I have somehow worn it out by frequent...wearing of it?

Either way, let's not jump the gun. I will take a perambulation to their boutique, have the door held open by a fawning attendant, enjoy a cup of complimentary coffee then kick off like a proper sahf Luhnden geezer, shouting about me ol' kettle not staying on my Chalk Farms. :P
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Just noticed the knitwear I'm wearing has a bobbly patch on it, right at the front, almost as if something with Velcro has been with it in the wash.

Where are the adverts for the Remington Fuzzaway when you need it?

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:11 am
Horse wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 10:03 am
gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 am I was given a very nice IWC watch by the lovely Mrs. G. back in 2019. It is indeed a lovely thing.

I now have an appointment at the 'London boutique', made for me by the 'concierge service', whereby a member of the 'customer liaison team' will see if they can assist me....

A quick Google indicates that a new clasp is c. £400. On a four year old watch that was, it's reasonable to say, quite trumpy.
How long should it last?

If you're feeling bolshy, Google whatever the replacement for the Sale of Goods Act is and its suggestions.
Ah, but my dear Mr. Nag, the Sale of Goods Act is now defunct, replaced by the Consumer Rights Act. It would state that that goods should be suitable for the purpose for which they are sold. I would argue four years on a 'premium' watch is below the minimum. They could argue that I have somehow worn it out by frequent...wearing of it?

Either way, let's not jump the gun. I will take a perambulation to their boutique, have the door held open by a fawning attendant, enjoy a cup of complimentary coffee then kick off like a proper sahf Luhnden geezer, shouting about me ol' kettle not staying on my Chalk Farms. :P
The IWC chocolates are blooming Gorgeous! (Well they were a few years ago when I went to the shop in Geneva!! Sorry, boutique!) Try and get a box of those too!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

However (you knew there was a 'however' coming given the thread I'm posting in), the last few times I've worn it, the clasp on the Milanese strap keeps popping open with the merest movement of my wrist (steady!), such as putting a jacket on...feel the little pop of the watch undoing itself. Reach for my phone in my back pocket...pop! Look at it the wrong way...pop!

If IWC tell you to jog-on, contact TicToc Man in London Village - they offer a really good repair service. They wangled a warranty repair on my 23 year old Seamaster FOC......
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

However (you knew there was a 'however' coming given the thread I'm posting in), the last few times I've worn it, the clasp on the Milanese strap keeps popping open with the merest movement of my wrist (steady!), such as putting a jacket on...feel the little pop of the watch undoing itself. Reach for my phone in my back pocket...pop! Look at it the wrong way...pop!

Well, a stroll (read 'schlep on the tube') up to New Bond Street, one cup of coffee later and the issue is resolved, gratis.

Nice chap, actually, so fair play IWC.

Edit: whilst in there I did try this on (again). I like it, mostly because it's a really unusual colour.

https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-collect ... lsrc=aw.ds
Last edited by gremlin on Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:14 pm

Well, a stroll (read 'schlep on the tube') up to New Bond Street, one cup of coffee later and the issue is resolved, gratis.

Nice chap, actually, so fair play IWC.
They gave it a judicial squeeze with pliers. Right?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Skub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:29 pm

You may not be a million miles away. Apparently the fold-over part of the clasp was looking a little too 'straightened'. I do have a habit of wearing the watch on the bike and we deduced that maybe it was the angle of where the wrist is when riding could have contributed, but basically they put the clasp back to the correct curvature to ensure it seated properly. Much tougher to clip in now, and he said that could be adjusted, but I'd prefer it virtually rivetted on my arm on for securities sake.

At least if I get mugged for it, it'll make the buggers work for their booty. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:39 pm
Skub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:29 pm

You may not be a million miles away. Apparently the fold-over part of the clasp was looking a little too 'straightened'. I do have a habit of wearing the watch on the bike and we deduced that maybe it was the angle of where the wrist is when riding could have contributed, but basically they put the clasp back to the correct curvature to ensure it seated properly. Much tougher to clip in now, and he said that could be adjusted, but I'd prefer it virtually rivetted on my arm on for securities sake.

At least if I get mugged for it, it'll make the buggers work for their booty. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Ignorant cunts.

Wifes friend who has progressive MS and limited use on one leg and both hands. Timid wee thing and not long out a violent marriage. Has a bit cash due to a successful cleaning business and a couple of good house and land purchases. She decided to cheer herself up and go on a Caribbean Cruise what she in on as i type. Apart from night one and the excursions she has never left her cabin. She was in the bar chatting to other fold on the ship and got up to go to the loo. As she was walking away a loud mouth yank was heard saying "I did not pay all this money on a cruise to be sitting next to a cripple" What a wanker. She just took to her cabin after that and wont make a complaint. Wants to come home but cant until Sunday, gutted for her.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:12 pm Ignorant cunts.

Wifes friend who has progressive MS and limited use on one leg and both hands. Timid wee thing and not long out a violent marriage. Has a bit cash due to a successful cleaning business and a couple of good house and land purchases. She decided to cheer herself up and go on a Caribbean Cruise what she in on as i type. Apart from night one and the excursions she has never left her cabin. She was in the bar chatting to other fold on the ship and got up to go to the loo. As she was walking away a loud mouth yank was heard saying "I did not pay all this money on a cruise to be sitting next to a cripple" What a wanker. She just took to her cabin after that and wont make a complaint. Wants to come home but cant until Sunday, gutted for her.
Bloody hell. That's horrific. Can you not find some people that know people and get someone to throw the ignorant cunt overboard??

Jesus, I can't believe that anyone would say something like that in this day and age :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Tell her to get her arse back in the bar. Never let any ignorant cnuts opinion ruin even your day, let alone a holiday. Take pride in knowing that whatever life throws at you, you'll never be as low as that wanker. Most normal people will happily talk to her and enjoy her company.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Sunday before last we were walking the mutt up at High Elms. At one point we have to cross a reasonably busy rural road. As we were waiting to cross, a bloke coming from the right slowed, flashed his lights and let us cross. Gave him a wave and started to cross. Suddenly we hear a load of effing and blinding from the car behind him, clearly aggrieved that he's slowed to let us cross.

Yesterday, same road, same four humans and a dog waiting to cross, somebody else kindly slows, indicates for us to cross and the same thing happens. Bloke presses on his horn and drops the C-bomb a number of times, wheel-spinning away once the bloke in front has started moving again.

What the fuck is actually wrong with people? Where are you going that so important? How much of an inconvenience is it to slow down for a few seconds?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Surely to God somebody pulled him up on this? Had that comment been said in my presence I would have made sure everyone would have known what a despicable excuse for a human he was.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Christ alive man,that shouldn't go unpunished. Here's hoping karma is a thing and if that's his usual form in life,he'll certainly make his own luck. He has it coming for sure.
Walt Whitman
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Witnessed first hand...

One of sister's has M-S and has ended up permanently in a wheelchair as her legs no longer function - people talk to he like she has some mental illness or she's incapable of holding an intelligent conversation! She managed to hold down a job as a bank manager and regional manager for 10's of years, so I'm sure she can manage a conversation with someone about gardening or decorating.
Last edited by v8-powered on Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My mum's the same. She's been almost totally deaf since getting measles as a kid. People talk to her like she's a got learning difficulties. Her favourite retort when this happens is to smile nicely and say, 'I'm deaf, dear. Not stupid' then walk away.
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:45 am My mum's the same. She's been almost totally deaf since getting measles as a kid. People talk to her like she's a got learning difficulties. Her favourite retort when this happens is to smile nicely and say, 'I'm deaf, dear. Not stupid' then walk away.
Folk did the same with my late da in law. When I took him for appointments and they saw he wore a hearing aid,then they talked about him to me,like he wasn't there. A man who served his country in the RAF and was as clever as they come,reduced to a nothing in their eyes. He never once spoke up or complained about these assaults on his dignity.
Walt Whitman
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Skub wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:53 am then they talked about him to me,like he wasn't there.
My step-dad does that with my mum. He'll lower his voice and turn to one side so she can't lip read and then start complaining about how she's moaning about this, that or the other and how it's getting him down, etc. etc.

Both me and Mrs. G have pulled him up on it. Really boils my piss.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

There used to be a programme on BBC Radio 4 entitled "Does he take sugar?"

I think they stopped making the programme in the late 90s. It was of course about disabilities and the title was/should have been self explanatory.

Some people are just fuckin' ignorant.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

MrsJawa has a few medical issues and she might end up in a wheelchair, if any cunt said that to her I suspect all all my anger management might go out the window very quickly.

Must be a yank thing, I drove a few shuttle buses for the cruise ships in Belfast, I had a few of the Filipino crew on it and this yank with a gold bracelet that looked like a 530 chain started giving off about sharing a bus with the crew. I told him that it was my bus and I'd take whoever I wanted on it and he was more than welcome to get out and walk. If he was wanting Cead Mile Failte he was looking at the wrong guy.