Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:17 pm Freight would have to be on a swappable battery to be viable I think.
Or doing lots of small/medium journeys involving lots of stopping and starting, like, I dunno, delivering from a central warehouse to shops.

Far more people in the US live in/near a big city than do out on an Interstate with eighty squillion straight miles.
Count Steer

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:28 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:17 pm Freight would have to be on a swappable battery to be viable I think.
Or doing lots of small/medium journeys involving lots of stopping and starting, like, I dunno, delivering from a central warehouse to shops.

Far more people in the US live in/near a big city than do out on an Interstate with eighty squillion straight miles.
Shifting bulk stuff umpteen miles by road is pretty :roll: anyway. Don't they have railways in the USA?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:31 pm Don't they have railways in the USA?
Enormously more fuel efficient than any kinda road transport too.

I bet someone even does a standard sized box which is easy to ship from Boat to Train to Lorry!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:31 pm Don't they have railways in the USA?
Enormously more fuel efficient than any kinda road transport too.

I bet someone even does a standard sized box which is easy to ship from Boat to Train to Lorry!
It does seem strange that a country that was built by the railroads is so dependent on moving bulk stuff around by lorry. But then, how much freight gets shifted by rail here? We used to even have mail trains, now they seem to fly it about from the mail hub at East Midlands airport. I guess it's all down to the 'But I want it now...or, at the latest tomorrow!' expectations people have.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gerrit on the canal! They already go to the major cities :D

Isn't the major problem in the UK the fact train lines run nearly at 100% capacity just with people? That is/was the major benefit of HS2 wasn't it? Getting people off the lines.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

No entirely on-topic but this reminded me of a map of all passenger rail lines in the US that I found quite interesting.
Attachments
vczULFC3dx4so2x7x0jMn04nflAA76vhz4LvfvAdKtY Large.jpeg
vczULFC3dx4so2x7x0jMn04nflAA76vhz4LvfvAdKtY Large.jpeg (122.77 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Using trucks in the UK may also be something to do with the fact that BR was very good at losing stuff.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:43 pm
No entirely on-topic but this reminded me of a map of all passenger rail lines in the US that I found quite interesting.
It looks like some states think that humans on trains are the devil's work! It's astonishing really. A place that size was made by and is ideal for railways, but nope, let's all drive, use a U-haul or take a Greyhound. :eh:
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah it's crazy isn't it? AFAIK the US has the most miles of railway of any country, but basically no real passenger service.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm
Yeah it's crazy isn't it? AFAIK the US has the most miles of railway of any country, but basically no real passenger service.
Remember talking to someone when I did some work on the railway in the USA, something like only 10% coverage out there.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:58 pm
Now was the passenger railway service in the US artificially nobbled, or was it a triumph of free market enterprise and everyone chose personal transportation (i.e the car)?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

So, I've started considering the move to electric, albeit into a used one. My current car is a Jaguar XFS 3.0 supercharged petrol which does under 30mpg on average. Most of my journeys are round trips of 20 odd miles to work and home. I'm probably the ideal electric candidate.

I don't want to spend a lot £20k'ish so looking for something under 4 yrs old and low miles. This is where I hit my issue. My car is a lovely place to be, it's not a rolls royce, but it's luxury and really goes when i want it too.

I'd be looking at a Kia Niro or Hyundai Kona for this price, now some of the specs are pretty good but not really at the jag levels. I'd be sacrificing pretty much everything in order to go electric and save some money on fuel. Being a bit of a car snob, I suppose I see it as a huge downgrade.

Maybe a mind reset on my behalf is required to make the jump?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Nordboy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:20 am This is where I hit my issue. My car is a lovely place to be, it's not a rolls royce, but it's luxury and really goes when i want it too.

I'd be looking at a Kia Niro or Hyundai Kona for this price, now some of the specs are pretty good but not really at the jag levels. I'd be sacrificing pretty much everything in order to go electric and save some money on fuel. Being a bit of a car snob, I suppose I see it as a huge downgrade.

Maybe a mind reset on my behalf is required to make the jump?
It's a bit of a step change and could be a bit :( reversing it if it doesn't work out. In an ideal world I'd keep the Jag for high days and holidays and buy the commuter for day to day but that's the cost of buying a second car + fixed costs on top.

Maybe rent an electric (Hertz do them but I haven't checked what models they do) for a week and see how you feel about it commuting etc? It wouldn't be 4 years old though.

PS Maybe look at a bit more luxe hybrids too?
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tesla just announced a recall of 2M cars to fix the auto-crasher software
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:18 pm Tesla just announced a recall of 2M cars to fix the auto-crasher software
Software (autopilot :roll: ) to be updated remotely so you won't need to worry about avoiding the queues at the dealers.
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:59 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:18 pm Tesla just announced a recall of 2M cars to fix the auto-crasher software
Software (autopilot :roll: ) to be updated remotely so you won't need to worry about avoiding the queues at the dealers.
The local dealer (in Van Nuys) is just a warehouse next to the airport.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Actually saw a Tesla truck yesterday. Parked off the side of the road in the Playground area of Mulholland. Not brushed stainless, this one was a very dark, almost black, flat gray. They're even worse looking in person.

Last edited by ZRX61 on Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Is that a temporary fix waiting to become the next flaw?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bwana wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:29 pm
Is that a temporary fix waiting to become the next flaw?
I wouldn't be at all surprised. Given the complexity of driving on iffy roads, surrounded by iffy drivers and assorted random events - deer, drunks, the occasional light aircraft making emergency landings, weather etc etc etc the idea of handing over decision control to a software package developed by a Musk company doesn't fill me with confidence.

Having bought a relatively modern vehicle with the best of Japanese technology in, I'd like a big red button marked 'Old Skool' that turns it off. Example, the tyre pressure monitoring system....cold day...beeeeeeep! Oh me, oh my....one tyre is down 1psi :roll: How do I reset it to accept that....4 screens later....press and hold OK. Now drive for 30 minutes. For heaven's sake it's a little hybrid shopper!

*Goes off to find a 50s step-sided Chevvy* :D
Voltaire