Voltaire
Felix

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:00 pm Fucking pot holes

Strut.jpg
Ouch! What's that on?
LDV Maxus. Its just the top mount. Car before me lost a wheel, spring and tyre on the same hole. This was around 11am and the AA could not get to him till about 2:30. His wife and Baby were in the car with no spare and its a new car. I can at least still drive but cant take her and the Baby home due to van not equipped for baby seat.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:10 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:02 pm
Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:00 pm Fucking pot holes

Strut.jpg
Ouch! What's that on?
LDV Maxus. Its just the top mount. Car before me lost a wheel, spring and tyre on the same hole. This was around 11am and the AA could not get to him till about 2:30. His wife and Baby were in the car with no spare and its a new car. I can at least still drive but cant take her and the Baby home due to van not equipped for baby seat.
It's getting a bit ridiculous. A local road, over the hill to the next village, with single track and, sort of, passing places in parts*, used to be NSL. Not that you could do more than 30. They closed it recently while they put 30 signs up. I suspect it isn't to slow anything down, just to downgrade the level of maintenance they're obliged to do on an NSL road. Pretty soon you'll need a tracked vehicle to get from one village to the next. :(

* It's one of the old 'deep lanes' that were probably smuggler's routes so it's pretty steep sided and the 'passing places' are often bits you really don't want to go in.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:21 pm

* It's one of the old 'deep lanes' that were probably smuggler's routes so it's pretty steep sided and the 'passing places' are often bits you really don't want to go in.
We have a wee road like that what is now overly busy due to new housing in the area. Its the Farmer who tends to keep the passing places clear but none have tarmac. Tea time you take you life in your hands as its now a race track with folk traying to get to the next passing place before the next car comes down the opposite way. Crazy thing is taking the wider two lane road, the longer way round only adds five minutes.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Demannu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:23 am
Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:14 am White headlights. White ridiculously bright headlights :roll: :roll: :roll:

Do car designers not actually drive?? Do they never face oncoming traffic in the dark on wet roads whilst it's raining??

Fucking stupid things. I flashed my lights at too many cars on both Saturday and Sunday nights whilst driving only to find that their RIDICULOUSLY bright-to-blinding lights were already on dip :roll: :roll: :roll:

FFS :( :(
It's an age thing dear!
And modern tech being a bit too efficient.
I have a pair of light yellow tint driving glasses which I use at night. Solves the problem.
Well dear, I've been old since I learnt to drive!! :lol: I've always had issues with headlights - the white ones are just way worse!

However, I may give the yellow lenses a try :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're bloody great if you're the one with em though.

I can see where I'm going. I'll watch ya crash right into me in high definition :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Look to the curb, or white edge line if no curb. It's stops you being blinded and protects your night vision.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:01 pm They're bloody great if you're the one with em though.

I can see where I'm going. I'll watch ya crash right into me in high definition :thumbup:
I rather like them too!! :lol: But it really isn't necessary to have bright white lights on dip beam!!! That's the bit that I hate!!!

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:12 pm Look to the curb, or white edge line if no curb. It's stops you being blinded and protects your night vision.
I do that as much as possible, it feels difficult on a mountain road with snow on the edges so the white light also bounces up off the snow, which is less than ideal.

On normal roads in the valley I jsut dislike the white headlights - on snowy mountain roads I think they are dangerous. But hey, must just be me as the manufacturers keep making the bastard things :roll: :roll: :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Thought the French all had Lucozade wrappers over the headlamps.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:22 pm Thought the French all had Lucozade wrappers over the headlamps.
I bloody wish!! :lol: :lol: I'll just have to get some for my glasses!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm
Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:22 pm Thought the French all had Lucozade wrappers over the headlamps.
I bloody wish!! :lol: :lol: I'll just have to get some for my glasses!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You heard of eye migraines? Probably a proper name for them but when i did driving for a living on nightshift i got them a lot due to the oncoming headlamps. Them yellow specs helped, a lot :thumbup:

Retinal Migraine of coarse :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eye+m ... s-wiz-serp
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:36 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:31 pm
You heard of eye migraines? Probably a proper name for them but when i did driving for a living on nightshift i got them a lot due to the oncoming headlamps. Them yellow specs helped, a lot :thumbup:

Retinal Migraine of coarse :lol:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=eye+m ... s-wiz-serp
On the very odd occasion that I get a migraine, I always know it's coming because I get a problem with my vision. If I don't take the max of paracetamol and Ibuprofen as soon as the eye issues start, I end up with a full blown headache migraine. At least I get warning!

Not had anything like that from night driving though, thankfully!!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:36 pm
Have you not got any switches at all for the lights?

I've got the auto-on on the VW Eos, but it's a position on the rotary switch just right of the wheel - so easy to flip the lights to "off", then back to "auto".
Nope. I have on the Focus, but the Audi (and the LandRover before that) have nothing.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Demannu wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 3:09 pm Hazards or a flip flop left and right on the indicators works for me!
Always do that to thank folk behind, but never in front. Maybe we can start a new trend :mrgreen:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sunny wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:38 am
Rockburner wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:36 pm
Have you not got any switches at all for the lights?

I've got the auto-on on the VW Eos, but it's a position on the rotary switch just right of the wheel - so easy to flip the lights to "off", then back to "auto".
Nope. I have on the Focus, but the Audi (and the LandRover before that) have nothing.
You'd have thought they'd legally need a way to manually control the lights... very odd.
non quod, sed quomodo
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I was given a very nice IWC watch by the lovely Mrs. G. back in 2019. It is indeed a lovely thing.

However (you knew there was a 'however' coming given the thread I'm posting in), the last few times I've worn it, the clasp on the Milanese strap keeps popping open with the merest movement of my wrist (steady!), such as putting a jacket on...feel the little pop of the watch undoing itself. Reach for my phone in my back pocket...pop! Look at it the wrong way...pop!

I now have an appointment at the 'London boutique', made for me by the 'concierge service', whereby a member of the 'customer liaison team' will see if they can assist me....

A quick Google indicates that a new clasp is c. £400. On a four year old watch that was, it's reasonable to say, quite trumpy.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Stick an eBay special NATO strap on it. Jobbed!
G.P

Post by G.P »

ULEZ :angry-cussingblack: :angry-cussingblack:

Dropped my eldest off at the Radisson, Bath road, Heathrow where he was staying before flying out to AOz to meet his ship.
So I come down the spur of the M4 then turn left the roundabout and 20 yds turn into the Hotel car park. The reverse (with an extra roundabout) to come back to the M4 and head back to the Shire.
Didn't see any ULEZ signs (my bad) but FFS, got a £90 fine through the post yesterday.
The air is thick with aviation fuel around there, my Diesel Golf is hardly going to change matters. What a bunch of C**ts.
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:30 am I was given a very nice IWC watch by the lovely Mrs. G. back in 2019. It is indeed a lovely thing.

I now have an appointment at the 'London boutique', made for me by the 'concierge service', whereby a member of the 'customer liaison team' will see if they can assist me....

A quick Google indicates that a new clasp is c. £400. On a four year old watch that was, it's reasonable to say, quite trumpy.
How long should it last?

If you're feeling bolshy, Google whatever the replacement for the Sale of Goods Act is and its suggestions.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: