Horse

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Horse »

Bigger plate required!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
millemille

Post by millemille »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:01 pm Cooked Sunday roast at work. IMG_0788.jpeg
That brings back memories of when I was still on the tools at Slade Green depot and if you were working a Sunday day shift one person would volunteer to cook dinner for everyone on shift, normally about 15 people. The cook's train repair work would be shared out amongst everyone else and the workers would chuck a fiver each in the kitty and the cook would take one for the work vans down to Morrisons and buy about 10 ready cooked roast chickens, all the veg in the world and more pigs in blankets and stuffing and Aunt Bessies than a small army could eat plus Walls Vienetta, always Viennetta, for pudding.

The depot had a fully equipped commercial kitchen, I suspect specced and built from a BR catalogue, and it was an absolute pleasure to knock out a mountain of food.

I remember once doing a Ferrera Rocher style pyramid of "oh, ambassador, you are spoiling us with these Brussel Sprouts" :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

millemille wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:53 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:01 pm Cooked Sunday roast at work. IMG_0788.jpeg
That brings back memories of when I was still on the tools at Slade Green depot and if you were working a Sunday day shift one person would volunteer to cook dinner for everyone on shift, normally about 15 people. The cook's train repair work would be shared out amongst everyone else and the workers would chuck a fiver each in the kitty and the cook would take one for the work vans down to Morrisons and buy about 10 ready cooked roast chickens, all the veg in the world and more pigs in blankets and stuffing and Aunt Bessies than a small army could eat plus Walls Vienetta, always Viennetta, for pudding.

The depot had a fully equipped commercial kitchen, I suspect specced and built from a BR catalogue, and it was an absolute pleasure to knock out a mountain of food.

I remember once doing a Ferrera Rocher style pyramid of "oh, ambassador, you are spoiling us with these Brussel Sprouts" :D
Same at Bounds Green too, one of the team leaders made a smashing roast...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Fixed the tumble dryer after the wife ran it with the door filter out and it sucked all the socks inside! :crazy: Then I put some Xmas lights up on the front of the house. It rained all the time I was doing it and stopped when I finished! :hmmm: I came in and saw the wife was cleaning the oven trays and grills. She said this is hard work and i don't seem to be getting anywhere! I said well dont tickle it, scrub it. As the words left my mouth... Just sat down now after cleaning the oven. :roll:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:55 pm Fixed the tumble dryer after the wife ran it with the door filter out and it sucked all the socks inside! :crazy: Then I put some Xmas lights up on the front of the house. It rained all the time I was doing it and stopped when I finished! :hmmm: I came in and saw the wife was cleaning the oven trays and grills. She said this is hard work and i don't seem to be getting anywhere! I said well dont tickle it, scrub it. As the words left my mouth... Just sat down now after cleaning the oven. :roll:
Was there a 'Well, if you think you can do better.....' involved? :D

IIRC Lakeland do a kit that involves large plastic bags that you put stuff like the oven racks in with a squidge of their fluid in. Leave to 'marinade' and it's all supposed to wipe off. I think I have a kit in the 'cupboard of plenty'. Might get round to using it one day. :D The bit that vexates me most is the glass in the door. After a few roasts it's unevenly tinted glass and a :angry-cussingblack: to clean.

However, I understand that there are people who will come to the house and clean the oven for you. <Fast Show>....Brilliant! </FS>
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:11 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:55 pm Fixed the tumble dryer after the wife ran it with the door filter out and it sucked all the socks inside! :crazy: Then I put some Xmas lights up on the front of the house. It rained all the time I was doing it and stopped when I finished! :hmmm: I came in and saw the wife was cleaning the oven trays and grills. She said this is hard work and i don't seem to be getting anywhere! I said well dont tickle it, scrub it. As the words left my mouth... Just sat down now after cleaning the oven. :roll:

IIRC Lakeland do a kit that involves large plastic bags that you put stuff like the oven racks in with a squidge of their fluid in. Leave to 'marinade' and it's all supposed to wipe off. I think I have a kit in the 'cupboard of plenty'. Might get round to using it one day. :D The bit that vexates me most is the glass in the door. After a few roasts it's unevenly tinted glass and a :angry-cussingblack: to clean.

However, I understand that there are people who will come to the house and clean the oven for you. <Fast Show>....Brilliant!

Ovens are easy to clean/keep clean.

Take all the kit out, put newspaper under the oven if you can and put half a cup of ammonia in the oven Close the door and next morning wash the oven out. All the bits you took out of the oven, put in a double bin liner with half a cup of ammonia and again, leave overnight. Wash them inthe morning. You may need a scotchbrite if it has been a while but you shouldn't need much effort..

Anyone who lived in army married quarters knows how to clean an oven.

HTH
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:15 pm

However, I understand that there are people who will come to the house and clean the oven for you. <Fast Show>....Brilliant!

Take all the kit out, put newspaper under the oven if you can and put half a cup of ammonia in the oven Close the door and next morning wash the oven out. All the bits you took out of the oven, put in a double bin liner with half a cup of ammonia and again, leave overnight. Wash them inthe morning. You may need a scotchbrite if it has been a while but you shouldn't need much effort..

HTH
TBH I'm not sure what half a cup of ammonia is! (It being a gas). If I wanted this liquid stuff, what do I look for on the supermarket shelf? It may be that that's what's in the Lakeland kit?

I do worry about getting aggressive with the catalytic linings though.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Get a man in :thumbup:

The particular man I get in has the tagline "we do the job you hate" on his van, and by jove he's right.

He's got a tray of chemical nasties he rolls out the back of his van which smokes when he drops the grills in :shock:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:20 pm
Yambo wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:15 pm

HTH
TBH I'm not sure what half a cup of ammonia is! (It being a gas). If I wanted this liquid stuff, what do I look for on the supermarket shelf? It may be that that's what's in the Lakeland kit?

I do worry about getting aggressive with the catalytic linings though.

Well if you want to be technical about it you want ammonium hydroxide which is a liquid. I used to get it from a chemist and that's where I get it now. My local chemist only sells it in 200 ml bottles so if I'm going to do the whole thing I get two bottles. I just take the tops off and don't bother decanting the stuff cos it's quite noxious.

It can also be used for bending wood if you can't use steam. :thumbup:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've spent the last few hours reorganising the garage,moving shelving & storage bins around.I reckon I can now get another bike in there :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:22 pm Get a man in :thumbup:

The particular man I get in has the tagline "we do the job you hate" on his van, and by jove he's right.

He's got a tray of chemical nasties he rolls out the back of his van which smokes when he drops the grills in :shock:
:thumbup:

TBH I feel the same way about ironing but we have an arrangement, I cook, wife irons. I can do it, but I hate it, she doesn't mind it at all...sets the board up in the bedroom and looks out at the back garden. If she falls under a bus I'm getting the bunch in that have 'Ironing Bored?' on their van.

Happily I don't have 5 work shirts to iron every week any more. :lol:

(Where my sister lives they used to run keep fit classes where you could take a basket of ironing to be done while you kept fit. Marv).
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The only time I ever even contemplate ironing anything is if there's a wedding or funeral coming up. Even then I may just continue contemplating and sack off the ironing.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:08 pm The only time I ever even contemplate ironing anything is if there's a wedding or funeral coming up. Even then I may just continue contemplating and sack off the ironing.
I sort of don't mind ironing stuff that 'behaves', like pillow cases but shirts are just not designed to be flattened! :lol: Funny really, I'd be happy making stuff that needs a lot of use of the iron in the construction* but, once it's all together....forget it. :D

* I'm not a tailor but they seem to work with an iron in one hand and a needle and thread in the other. :lol: They sort of build a suit by bullying the fabric into shape with an iron.
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Changed by BT hub.

Everything is still working.

It must be a trap.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

One of those random Sundays today:

Researched bike gear armour - with thanks to Horse for the link; measured some recently de-plastered walls on our landing ready for ordering some woodwool board; walked the dog; dragged Christmas stuff out of the loft; dragged the Christmas tree out of the garden; did some troubleshooting on an issue with one of our CCTV cameras; decorated the tree; rescued a drone out of a different, much taller tree :mrgreen: ; walked the dog again; realised we forgot to put the beef in the oven (we don't generally do Sunday roasts but Muz needs to do a trial run before he does Christmas dinner at his dad's - ho hum, it'll get done another day); and now I've sat down to see if I can finish reading Jane Eyre with a glass of wine and a nice fire :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

20231210_201835.jpg
20231210_201835.jpg (841.75 KiB) Viewed 458 times
Well the Fronchies came around, we drank cidre chaud, ate too much sugar laden food, had a good natter.
An entente cordiale
cheb

Post by cheb »

Started sorting the bourach that is the new shed.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I had a long conversation with my postie today and he told me how Jesus saved him from a life of drugs and debauchery.

I was quite proud of myself,I listened attentively,made appreciative noises and nodded in all the right places.

When your usual form of communication makes use of many swearwords,then it's probably the best way. I didn't even say fuck,or cunt once. :silent:

That's me out of respect for the day,so just watch yourselves.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Skub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:50 pm I had a long conversation with my postie today and he told me how Jesus saved him from a life of drugs and debauchery.
So the bearded, sandal-wearing one made off with all the drugs and hookers, then?

Typical hippy...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.