Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Potter »

Rubbish collection isn't too bad here, I can't complain, I think that the lads are agency and they aren't as miserable as the old lot used to be in the town where we used to live.

But in general rubbish collection and management is another example of poor management and bad strategy that like a lot of UK public services has caught up with them as the population has grown, numbers are higher, and demands on how waste is treated have changed/increased.

These things happen, things change and a bit of catching up is required, but I get tired of the usual apathy and excuses being trotted out alongside the usual pessimistic attitude that they're doing their best and nothing much can be done to improve things.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:40 pm These things happen, things change and a bit of catching up is required, but I get tired of the usual apathy and excuses being trotted out alongside the usual pessimistic attitude that they're doing their best and nothing much can be done to improve things.
I don't mean to have a go at boomers* but even in this thread I'm sensing a cultural/attitude difference.

To me (and Mrs. D, if I may speak for her) it would seem crazy to expect the bin men to take stuff that's not in the bin. It also strikes me as perfectly reasonable that my council tax would only stretch so far in this regard. If I get a load of packaging of course it's my job to take it somewhere for disposal etc. That's just how the world operates in my mind.

Mostly, I suspect, and indeed as I said earlier, because it's always been that way for me as an adult. I don't think it'd be fair to claim my attitude is a result of much else :lol:

But yeah - just piling stuff up and expecting someone/thing else to deal with it for not-much-money is causing a few issues in the world right? ;)

*Lies, they're all cunts! ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:45 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:40 pm These things happen, things change and a bit of catching up is required, but I get tired of the usual apathy and excuses being trotted out alongside the usual pessimistic attitude that they're doing their best and nothing much can be done to improve things.
I don't mean to have a go at boomers* but even in this thread I'm sensing a cultural/attitude difference.

To me (and Mrs. D, if I may speak for her) it would seem crazy to expect the bin men to take stuff that's not in the bin. It also strikes me as perfectly reasonable that my council tax would only stretch so far in this regard. If I get a load of packaging of course it's my job to take it somewhere for disposal etc. That's just how the world operates in my mind.

Mostly, I suspect, and indeed as I said earlier, because it's always been that way for me as an adult. I don't think it'd be fair to claim my attitude is a result of much else :lol:

But yeah - just piling stuff up and expecting someone/thing else to deal with it for not-much-money is causing a few issues in the world right? ;)

*Lies, they're all cunts! ;)
I'd take a guess that picking up rubbish will feature in the job description soemwhere... :wtf:

:D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Picking up a bit of rubbish :D
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:45 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:43 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:40 pm House number snap!
They've faded a bit, but they were rainbow stickers, after the wife stuck them one while I was out I had to explain that all our neighbours would now think we were gay.
I was referring to the 14 actually, not the choice of label form Wilkos/B&M/The Range.
Hardly a surprise the numbers match, all the bins are for the same house.

Up here in CNES land we have one bin for residuals that collected every two weeks, one for paper and card, collected monthly and one one plastics/tins that's also collected monthly. I rarely put the bins out, every couple of months for the residuals and less for the other two, they only go out when full. The binpeople are on job and knock, anything I can do to let them get home quicker if fine by me. They are directly employed by the council AFAIK.

Be nice to them, it's a shite job in the winter and the average punter treats them like subhumans. I mean how dare they do stop start driving all the way down my street when I've left late for work, they could at least have the decency to let me past.

I usually blind the tip lads with biscuits when I go there to check the skips.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The thing I miss are the recycle bins in the local car park. It was great for getting rid of cardboard packaging without filling the recycling bin or having to go to the 'dump'. Of course it was roundly abused and sometimes you'd look and businesses and trades had crammed it full. The crap people tried to stuff in the 'small electricals' bin was pretty :shock: too.

However, our binnies are cool if you leave the cardboard stuff next to the bin (but in such a way it doesn't blow away obvs).

I was parking up in the local car park and the litter bin guy pitched up to empty the bin by the ticket machine. He hauled a rattling bag of stuff out and said 'the local alcoholic is at it again'. He was a bit upset because, as he explained to me, everything in them automatically goes to landfill (they're not the double bin things). He really did seem to care that easily recycled stuff was going to landfill.

So, no complaints here. If people start to understand there's a cost to dealing with waste, fine by me.

PS If my neighbour has space in her garden bin she asks if we've got any that we'd like to put in it. Which we have done but now pay for a second bin, which she's welcome to put stuff in if we haven't filled 'em.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

We've got one wheelie bin for rubbish and one for recycling, collected alternate weeks, a house of three adults struggles to fill either of them in a fortnight, well unless I've been on an Amazon binge.

Local tip is for local folk, open 3 days a week, no booking, no queuing, will accept anything and turn a blind eye to commercial stuff (florescent tubes, fridge compressors etc.)

Our binnies even work on bank holidays.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My local tip always asks for proof of address and what you're dumping. My stock reply is usually along the lines of, 'Couple of dead badgers, some nuclear waste and a copy of Shakespeare's First Folio'.

I'd say the majority of the time nothing is ever said, so I can only assume they've stopped listening to what people are telling them or that they've sensibly decided to ignore my failed attempts at humour.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Rubbish feels like a game here, I made the mistake when I moved in asking the council to replace a broken bin and they gave me a smaller one.
The tip still charges for DIY waste (I know they were told not to) and the local council charges for garden waste collection, so garden and household waste goes down the tip and DIY waste goes in my black bin.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:24 pm When my mate first moved to Spain he couldn't get over the low council tax charge and what you got for it. They made a few changes in the place and he asked his neighbours how he could dispose of some old furniture etc. They said just put it by the big bins at the end of the street. He did and it was collected. We have to pay a fee; £30 for the collection of 1-5 items, £50 for the collection of 6-10 items. Not too bad i suppose but I'd rather it was free obvs.
Our special uplifts are still free but you never get a date close to when you need to bin something (Cooker. fridge, sofa etc) so you might need to store it for a month. When i got my present camperbus it had a manky old sofa bed in the back. I dragged that out and dumped it in the lane at the side of my house. Phoned the Council and kicked up fuck that some dirty shit fly tipped a sofa in the lane. Next day it was gone :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

cheb wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:04 pm Be nice to them, it's a shite job in the winter and the average punter treats them like subhumans. I mean how dare they do stop start driving all the way down my street when I've left late for work, they could at least have the decency to let me past.
Binman 1 Driver 0
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

On the recycling theme and also a little BMP, but also makes me laugh....

Our road has a lot of Oak trees, we have 5 in our front garden alone. Guy across the road has a more open frontage to his house, every afternoon at this time of the year he comes home and gets out his leaf blower - blows all leaves from his garden out in to the road hoping traffic will take them away. Oddly the wind generally blows them straight back :lol:

I sit and watch him from my office window, giggling like a kid.
20231208_150539.jpg
20231208_150539.jpg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 357 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

That's one serious hedge...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

This is our setup. The usual recycling bins and an open air free for all dumping area.
Occasionally get lazy builders dumping all kinds of shit. Last week some bugger dumped about 100 used car tyres
There is a huge proper dump/recycling about a mile away
20231208_145202.jpg
20231208_145202.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 338 times
20231208_145217.jpg
20231208_145217.jpg (987.37 KiB) Viewed 338 times
20231208_145227.jpg
20231208_145227.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 338 times
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Replaced the broken window regulator, bit of a faff, well a lot of a faff, but it was sunny and I got there in the end. Go to raise the mechanism so it can seat the window. Click. Blat Fattery... oh dear.. the charger is somewhere, it was packed in the move by the movers, and is now very AWOL. Had a quick look cannot find it. Will have to take bike down to Halfords and pick up battery from there tomorrow morning, or Eurocarparts or something. Arrgghhhh. Ordered a new charger, but that is to keep the bike happy. Car battery was on the way out and so it does require replacement. Hah.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Potter

Post by Potter »

People that cross the road very slowly whilst staring at you menacingly with a "I have the right to be here" look on their face.
I was going slowly, slowed even more when it looked like she would cross, she did and the whole time she was staring at me, I waved a hello and she just glared.

And whilst I'm moaning - people that walk on the pavement with their kids or dog very close to the road, it only takes one little slip or the dog to step off the edge and they're toast. My wife and kids joke even now about me because I always make them walk on the inside and I walk closest to the road, they're all grown up and I still do it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 pm People that cross the road very slowly whilst staring at you menacingly with a "I have the right to be here" look on their face.
I was going slowly, slowed even more when it looked like she would cross, she did and the whole time she was staring at me, I waved a hello and she just glared.

And whilst I'm moaning - people that walk on the pavement with their kids or dog very close to the road, it only takes one little slip or the dog to step off the edge and they're toast. My wife and kids joke even now about me because I always make them walk on the inside and I walk closest to the road, they're all grown up and I still do it.
If you are being chivalrous, you walk on the outside and walk on the left hand side of the thoroughfare, then your right hand/arm is free to access your sword. (Left handers, being the devil's children don't count). It really makes window shopping with the family a bit of a pain though. 'We must go up the High Street on this side then return on that side, for, forsooth, I must have my sword arm free'. TBH, in those days the danger probably came from the shop doorways and alleyways rather than the road, so it's probably bolleaux.

(Theory has it that we shake hands - with the right of course - to indicate that our sword/dagger hand is empty).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:42 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 4:21 pm People that cross the road very slowly whilst staring at you menacingly with a "I have the right to be here" look on their face.

If you are being chivalrous, you walk on the outside and walk on the left hand side of the thoroughfare, then your right hand/arm is free to access your sword. (Left handers, being the devil's children don't count). It really makes window shopping with the family a bit of a pain though. 'We must go up the High Street on this side then return on that side, for, forsooth, I must have my sword arm free'. TBH, in those days the danger probably came from the shop doorways and alleyways rather than the road, so it's probably bolleaux.

(Theory has it that we shake hands - with the right of course - to indicate that our sword/dagger hand is empty).
You ever tried saluting with a sword in your hand???
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So why do boy scouts shake with the left?

ISTR it's something to do with shields and swords.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: You ever tried saluting with a sword in your hand???
People who try usually only do it once ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: