Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Taipan »

:lol:

Potter

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Potter »

I've just been reading Top Gear magazine that I picked up in Asda and some of the new EVs look good, the Seat Born and Megane look good and the VW camper thing looks funky as well.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:02 pm If we want to look at dubious numbers, should we consider that the fossil fuel industry received 7 trillion dollars in subsidies globally last year?

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2 ... 7-trillion

Or perhaps we should all just remember it's easy to make funding numbers say lots of different things.
In the US, a *subsidy* often means a tax break on R&D & infrastructure etc....

But we're talking subsidies on vehicles, not what fuels them... Obviously some EV's aren't getting $50,000 because that's the average, in the case of Ford it's $67,000
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Marques Brownlee reviews the Cybertruck.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:56 pm I've just been reading Top Gear magazine that I picked up in Asda and some of the new EVs look good, the Seat Born and Megane look good and the VW camper thing looks funky as well.
Is that the ID.Buzz? It's quite the cutest thing on the road. :D

When we were looking to replace Car 2 the only thing in the VW showroom that made my eyes light up was the original van version (at least I think that's how it's gone in terms of evolution). My eyes dimmed at the price - there's a limit to the £uplift that cute provides, but a camper version could be fun depending on all the usual - range, battery life blah blah blah.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:44 pm
Potter wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:56 pm I've just been reading Top Gear magazine that I picked up in Asda and some of the new EVs look good, the Seat Born and Megane look good and the VW camper thing looks funky as well.

When we were looking to replace Car 2 the only thing in the VW showroom that made my eyes light up was the original van version (at least I think that's how it's gone in terms of evolution). My eyes dimmed at the price - there's a limit to the £uplift that cute provides, but a camper version could be fun depending on all the usual - range, battery life blah blah blah.
I guess you'd still have to take a generator with you when you go camping...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:56 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:44 pm

I guess you'd still have to take a generator with you when you go camping...
Yes. And?
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Could just plug it into the site hook up. Saw someone doing that at the last campsite I went to :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:27 pm Could just plug it into the site hook up. Saw someone doing that at the last campsite I went to :D
Amerika is a bit bigger than here though. When they go 'camping*' they take 4×4s with big engines, guns, skinning knives and lots of charcoal but not much fruit and veg.

* In LA that probably means something different. :eh:
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:27 pm Could just plug it into the site hook up. Saw someone doing that at the last campsite I went to :D
You wont get away with it on many sites as the ones i used this year had signs up saying its banned. Some sites charge per electric unit now, so it may become an option?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

:lol: :thumbup:

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:02 pm Yes. And?
Not exactly off-grid when you have to take your own *grid* with you. They apparently sell an EV Jeep, closest those things get to off-road is running over a planter in Macy's car park.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:41 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:02 pm Yes. And?
Not exactly off-grid when you have to take your own *grid* with you. They apparently sell an EV Jeep, closest those things get to off-road is running over a planter in Macy's car park.
We've got a country here full of big 4×4s that the nearest they get to off-road is the house drive :lol: Not to mention camper vans that 'go wild' by making a cup of herbal tea in a National Trust car park.

You've got a bit more 'off-grid' space over there. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:42 am
We've got a country here full of big 4×4s that the nearest they get to off-road is the house drive :lol:
Ex-CEO had a £100k+ black Range Rover. With a resident parking permit in the window, somewhere like Chelsea.

So one of the lads in the office decide to cyberstalk via Streetview to look for his house.

Car car, black RR, car car, black RR, car car, black RR, car car, black RR :D

And gave up.

But they did have to across a pavement to get parked - that's off-road ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://financialpost.com/commodities/e ... mare-tesla

Elon Musk's Cybertruck is already a production nightmare for Tesla

Musk says Tesla is digging its own grave with the Cybertruck, full of 'a lot of bells and whistles'
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Said it loads of times....Tesla don't really know how to build cars!

They'll probably figure it out, they might even come up with some better ways of doing it. But it ain't like SpaceX, there are already many other well established players you're competing against, all of whom have figured out this "slim margins" thing. Fail fast and innovate doesn't work quite the same way in this market space.

Doubly so when it comes to trucks, the blue collar bread and butter. They're already a bit shit and cheap, so an expensive fancy one is less likely to fly like an expensive fancy saloon did.

We'll see.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:00 pm :lol: :thumbup:

Why didn't he just buy a small Honda generator and plumb in the exhaust. Would have saved himself a lot of work. Be a shit video of course and that's the thing, did he do it for the YouTube channel (like the guy who deliberately crashed his plane and has just got 6 months jail) or because he likes making and filming stuff?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:29 am Said it loads of times....Tesla don't really know how to build cars!
I'm not the first person to wonder about the safety of the truck.

And that's not the usual 'self-driving aspects.

Instead, how does the angular bodywork affect pedestrian impacts and, if 'bullet proof', casualty extrication post-crash?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yambo wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:31 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:00 pm :lol: :thumbup:

Why didn't he just buy a small Honda generator and plumb in the exhaust. Would have saved himself a lot of work. Be a shit video of course and that's the thing, did he do it for the YouTube channel (like the guy who deliberately crashed his plane and has just got 6 months jail) or because he likes making and filming stuff?
As you said, it'd be a shit video. He would know better than most a nice quiet genny would have been a better bet but that ridiculous set up makes for laughs and grabs attention! Amused me anyway, so job jobbed!

And if what I read is true, there are quite a few Teslas driving around the rural areas of the USA with generators in the boots for back up reasons? Kinda makes sense really, in a bizarre sort of way! :crazy:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:42 am
We've got a country here full of big 4×4s that the nearest they get to off-road is the house drive :lol: Not to mention camper vans that 'go wild' by making a cup of herbal tea in a National Trust car park.
A couple of my mates are into big camper vans, they have these £100k things that are pretty big and they swear by "wild camping".

Now before I criticise, I will point out that they love it, they seem to have a brilliant time and about 30 weekends of the year both families are off having fun with kids all over the country, it's a real social thing that they enjoy and it does look great.

However, "wild camping" usually means they turn up at a country pub in the late afternoon and ask if they can stay the night in the car park if they drink and eat at the pub all evening - and apparently 99 times out of 100 the landlord is fine with it. They both came and stayed up here and did exactly that at the village pub, the landlord was fine with it as we spent a fair bit between us all.

I don't know how "wild" that is, we sometimes join them and when we go we turn up in the Range Rover and get a room in the same pub, saving the cost of a £100k motorhome :D