Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Felix

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Felix »

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:03 pm Kerbside charging from your house.

https://www.kerbocharge.com/

As you are guaranteed to get the space back when you return.
wheelnut

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by wheelnut »

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:03 pm Kerbside charging from your house.

https://www.kerbocharge.com/
Assuming you can park right outside your house - how often will that happen?
Horse

Post by Horse »

I didn't say it was a perfect solution, but it's another method to charge vehicles that has previously been an objection/obstacle to adoption.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

The flap may be able to cope with an artic driving on the kerb (how many do that?), but how about the young lady shown, in her stilettos (frequent). Remember your maths - 2 ton elephant vs 8st girl.... Broken ankle >> claim.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... r-AA1kOgst

Electric cars are far less reliable than traditional petrol vehicles, bombshell study finds
Story by Brett Lackey For Daily Mail Australia •

US publication Consumer Reports surveyed owners of cars built between 2021 and 2023, along with a small number of 2024 models, and found electric cars had 80 per cent more problems than cars propelled by internal combustion engines (ICE).

Among the most frequently reported troubles were battery and charging system issues as well as flaws in how the vehicles´ body panels and interior parts fit together.
Over the three model years, EVs had 79 per cent more problems than ICE cars, while plug-in hybrids had 146 per cent more issues.

Consumer reports found that EV vehicles had 12 potential problem areas, while hybrids had 19, plug-in hybrids had 20 and ICE vehicles had 17.

But the study also found that despite new EV cars having simpler drivetrains, petrol vehicles had been finely tuned over the years to be highly reliable.

The magazine and website noted that EV manufacturers are still learning to construct completely new systems, and it suggested that as they do, the overall reliability of electric vehicles should improve.

'This story is really one of growing pains,' said Jake Fisher, senior director at Consumer Reports.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You should see the stuff we don't sell :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:45 am You should see the stuff we don't sell :D
As an aside, it always amuses me when a company trumpets their quality by quoting ISO (9000?).

Err no. That just means that if you're making crap then it's consistent and documented crap.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ISO9001 is the most basic bare bones anyway. IATF 16949 and/or AS9100 are the ones which actually mean something.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:40 am Electric cars are far less reliable than traditional petrol vehicles, bombshell study finds
Story by Brett Lackey For Daily Mail Australia •

US publication Consumer Reports surveyed owners of cars built between 2021 and 2023, along with a small number of 2024 models, and found electric cars had 80 per cent more problems than cars propelled by internal combustion engines (ICE).
That's probably down to the build quality of Tesla's. Not denying they're popular, but it appears they're put together by people with zero mechanical aptitude.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Zero experience of building cars is probably closer to the mark. As soon as I saw "bodywork fit" as an issue I knew they probably meant Tesla :D Same with all these new brands and not exactly surprising.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:38 pm Zero experience of building cars is probably closer to the mark. As soon as I saw "bodywork fit" as an issue I knew they probably meant Tesla :D Same with all these new brands and not exactly surprising.
While it isn't as bad as Saturn (7-10mm panel gaps weren't unusual), Tesla isn't that much better. 2mm is about as close to ideal most manage.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Tesla truck is now available...

1million pre-orders.. at $100 deposit each, figure 50% of the people will ask for a refund... so that's $50,000,000 that needs to be refunded..
& the latest numbers state that every EV on the road on the US costs the tax payers $50,000 in subsidies & other pay offs etc..
So I guess we're looking at $50billion from the tax payers if he sells 50% of the pre-orders.

Explain how this is a sustainable business plan?
Last edited by ZRX61 on Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

You're talking Musk-o-nomics, which don't seem to bear any relation to reality. Why else would you pay $44billion for something then run it into the ground?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:44 pm You're talking Musk-o-nomics, which don't seem to bear any relation to reality. Why else would you pay $44billion for something then run it into the ground?
I like that he literally told the head of Disney to go fuck himself, which then got replayed all over the news for a few days :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:41 pm Tesla truck is now available...

1million pre-orders.. at $100 deposit each, figure 50% of the people will ask for a refund... so that's $50,000,000 that needs to be refunded..
& the latest numbers state that every EV on the road on the US costs the tax payers $50,000 in subsidies & other pay offs etc..
So I guess we're looking at $50billion from the tax payers if he sells 50% of the pre-orders.

Yeah but... :D

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:41 pm Tesla truck is now available...

If we want to look at dubious numbers, should we consider that the fossil fuel industry received 7 trillion dollars in subsidies globally last year?

https://www.imf.org/en/Blogs/Articles/2 ... 7-trillion

Or perhaps we should all just remember it's easy to make funding numbers say lots of different things.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Given how big America is and how few and far between even gas stations are outside of the cities, I'm not really surprised EVs aren't more successful there.

Has the bubble burst here? All the people i know, myself included, who were considering going EV, have changed their minds and stuck with ICE variants instead. The only person I knew with one, has now got rid of it and won't look at them for another 5 years-ish.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

All the people I know have gone black and have never gone back. Even guys who work in F1 engine design, absolutely petrol heads, have gone EV (against their will in one case) and not ever gone back.

You could probably quite reasonably say I know a different segment of people though :lol:

China is the big market though, more than half the total global consumption of EVs.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm not against EVs, far from it and think my next bike will be one, but the whole range and charging issues are the nail in the coffin for now. A while back EVs seemed to be such a buzz but then the cost of living hiked up leccy prices and it seems like that put a lot of people off too? Are UK sales actually in decline?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »