New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
cheb

New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Post by cheb »

Going through Glencoe there's a sign suggesting that motorcyclists should ride between the chevrons on the road. It's only on one bend but is on both sides of the road.

That's from a reddit thread:

Rockburner

Re: New to me road signs for motorcyclists

Post by Rockburner »

Yep, saw those when we were up there in September.

You'll notice they actually guide you on the "wider" line for the corner.

Scotland has the same problem as Wales; with bikers throwing themselves at the scenery and causing problems and expense for everyone who has to tidy up the resulting mess.

Presumably someone came to the conclusion that enough of the accidents were caused by misreading the corner and they came up with this, relatively simple, and cheap, idea to help.

I hope it does help.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Not seen or heard of that one. Does it mean that there are painted markings on the road surface?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:43 am Not seen or heard of that one. Does it mean that there are painted markings on the road surface?
Yes. Thin white chevrons about 50 or 100 feet apart (guesstimate) on the approach and entry to a couple of blind brow corners. They guide you into the "outside" third of the corner (if you ride between them).
non quod, sed quomodo
cheb

Post by cheb »

Yes, small chevrons on the road. I would have stopped to take pictures but on the way down I was heading to a timed meeting and on the way back it was dark and raining.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I've a funny feeling that that's the only road they're on. It could be a localised trial? Maybe by the local council rather than Transport Scotland? I didn't see them anywhere else during my travels in Scotland, not that I covered every inch of high road obviously ( ;) ), but I did see a few other corners where I might have expected them, and, as said, I seem to remember they were on blind-brow type corners.
non quod, sed quomodo
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

They are called 'Perceptual Countermeasures' if you want the technical term.

The idea is to subtly help riders 'read' corners and avoid cross-over collisions with oncoming vehicles - the biggest killer on rural roads like this. They've been trialled successfully in New Zealand, where I took a look at them in 2019 when I was over there working for the NZTA on the Shiny Side Up rider safety road show. I've talked about the concept on my Survival Skills FB page and also more recently on my Elevenses webcast.

As it happens, Prof Alex Stedmon is actually giving a free-to-view presentation at two pm on Friday about this trial in Scotland, as one of the items for the 'Motorcycle Friday' part of the Road Safety GB 'festival'. I'll be tuning in for that.

I met him when I was giving a presentation on the Science Of Being Seen to a conference a few years back. Nice bloke and a keen rider himself.

https://roadsafetygb.org.uk/festival/fe ... ngs-week1/

And I'm sure another well-known contributor will be along shortly to tell you more.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Is this basically the steadily closer yellow lines you get in braking zones, but for corners?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Any signs for car drivers cutting r/h corners. 😡
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:44 am Any signs for car drivers cutting r/h corners. 😡
Far more riders run wide and are killed hitting drivers in their own lane than the other way round... and there are around 100 cars for each bike out on the road. So I'm afraid it's 'rider error' and the 'incompetent driver kills biker' stories are almost a myth. The dead riders don't come back to report their error, but those of us who dodge a driver are usually quite vocal about it.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
The Spin Doctor

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:42 am Is this basically the steadily closer yellow lines you get in braking zones, but for corners?
Some general concept but different approach.

I believe some have used a technique to help riders judge the need to slow, others work by giving the rider a better idea of the line they need to steer.

I'll be tuning in on Friday to learn more.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:33 am They are called 'Perceptual Countermeasures' if you want the technical term.

And I'm sure another well-known contributor will be along shortly to tell you more.
?
:D

I was going to mention the WYLIWYG trials, which extended the black and white corner marker posts out into the straight, to give riders help assessing the end of the bend.

The stripes across the road are under the banner of 'nudge' theory.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Sounds like a good idea, anything that makes seeing a good, safe line on a blind, unfamiliar corner has to be good.
Honda Owner
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:42 am Is this basically the steadily closer yellow lines you get in braking zones, but for corners?
not really, the yellow lines are both visual and audible, and across the full width of the road.

You're not meant to ride over these, but instead follow the route through the corner that they hint at.
non quod, sed quomodo
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I’d like argue with you all, but I don’t know what the road markings look like.
Horse

Post by Horse »

JackyJoll wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:31 pm I’d like argue with you all, but I don’t know what the road markings look like.
Not knowing facts never stopped anyone else ;)
cheb

Post by cheb »

The road markings are like those on the sign, only longer, wider and on the road. And they didn't paint the bike on the road.

HTH.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If the road has a central white line and we all stay on our own side of the road it's all good. Unclassified no white line , biggest vehicle wins in reality, so caution required.

On my way to work, there is an 'S' bend and many cars cut the r/h whether something is coming or not. On bike I'm on r/h side of my lane on the L/h and these twats are in my path.

Driving standard's have never been so bad, whatever statistics we may read. 'Don't cut corner ' signs required.
Yamaha rocket 3
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Horse wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:42 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:31 pm I’d like argue with you all, but I don’t know what the road markings look like.
Not knowing facts never stopped anyone else ;)
Yeah I have no idea what I’m talking about but you lot are bound to be wrong about something and I want to point it out to you.
The Spin Doctor

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:16 pm If the road has a central white line and we all stay on our own side of the road it's all good. Unclassified no white line , biggest vehicle wins in reality, so caution required.

On my way to work, there is an 'S' bend and many cars cut the r/h whether something is coming or not. On bike I'm on r/h side of my lane on the L/h and these twats are in my path.

Driving standard's have never been so bad, whatever statistics we may read. 'Don't cut corner ' signs required.
There is a nautical expression - "standing into danger". If you know cars cut the corner, why put yourself in their path?