What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by KungFooBob »

Remember you'll need loads of space for the grandkids.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Taken a funeral for a much loved man. Visited friends from my "old" church, and paid a pastoral visit to someone who misses my weekly visits.

Drove back home in heavy traffic, but missed the worst of it and got home to see my son walking the dog in the church grounds in the rain. What a lovely boy he is. Fetching wife from the station in a short while, will either come home or do the bigger weekly shop in the evening and then home for a quick dinner. Probably reheat last nights pasta bake, but include a glass of nice Shiraz!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:54 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 pm Had a bit of an epiphany over the last week or two, that Chez Gremlin is too big for me and Mrs. G now. I've had to pay somebody to do a load of painting and sprucing up, and in a couple of weeks the hall, stairs and landing is being done. That's a ballache and a half on its own.

What with the Gremlinette in Manchester now, it seems we're just rattling around it, to coin an old expression.

Probably time to fuck it off and buy a two-bed bungalow. :thumbup:

And finally there is the 'decor'. I am sure Mrs G has skillfully collated the purchase of everything to match your existing gaff. Your new gaff will be different, and all the furniture and stuff you selected as high quality, good stuff that you would take with you will need to be replaced because they don't quite fit the ambiance of the new place. That will set you back a fortune, and a large slice of your life trying to source suitable replacements!

Good luck, you will need it.
Over here you often buy the house as you see it.
We got absolutely everything that we saw. Right down to the crockery.
4 fridges, 5 beds etc..

Would have cost us a fortune to fully furnish a 5 bed house.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I cycle quite often on the same 8 mile route. Bit of dirt track and the full length of the beach front path.
I push like he'll to keep fit.

Not been out for about a month so was surprised I beat my previous best time by about 15 seconds. I wasn't going at it full on really.

:obscene-birdiedoublered:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Today I did the usual Monday amble around one of the nicest bits of the planet. It didn't rain and the sun came out, eventually.

I saw a magpie hopping about on a sheep's head and rummaging for whatever they rummage for. The sheep looked very pleased with this arrangement.

I saw a pair of helicopters flying lowish, one following the other while a third flew higher, sort of 'on point' keeping an eye on things. Politicians? royalty?

Sat in my favourite little heathland place and had a bit of nosebag then popped into the ol' wooden bus shelter that's now a 'share your books library' - the missus picked up a £25 history of DC Comics, then we strolled, downhill, past some :shock: old trees and sat by a babbling brook, with a coffee and communed with the ducks in one of the nicest villages. (The 'splitter Stig' owns/owned? one of the pubs in the village). Didn't see Charlie Boorman.

All in all, I am replete. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Went to work, got soaked on the way to the station, got a puncture (it's a bloody mile to the station FFS!). Once at work turned off and on bits of equipment to prove they worked before contractors stripped out some old wiring and supervisory equipment, once they were done tested everything again. All in all a win as the turning stuff off and on again needed to be done carefully without dropping large segments of our HV network or upsetting the signalling equipment.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

We had a training day today. Sort of! So, in the office at 7am, sorting the last of the paperwork and 'stuff' to take to the the room that had been rented for the day.

FFS - how is it that half the paperwork wasn't sorted!! At least it didn't take too long, but was a bit manic!

All day in a room with loads of french and one other english (a mate that also speaks half decent french).

I know I am quite often positive about my french communication abilities but today was a gully on challenge as the boss wasn't making any effort to speak slowly and a couple of the other drivers not only had strong accents but spoke at warp speed!!! :o :o :o

My brain is melting out of my ears at the moment after all day listening to them all!! :lol:

Cos I did the transfer on Saturday i have an extra two mornings off, so, not to give my brain a rest, I'm heading to my mates restaurant in the morning for more chat!!

And also, when we all arrived there for lunch, I said to my friend that the rest would be in in a mo but they are smoking. Only I said they are smoked!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh well!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh, and IT'S SNOWING!!!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Went to work …
Had grief from our buyers about exchange dates - pleaded with the boss for change in annual leave dates and she agreed,I then realised our vendor holds all the cards anyway.
Just waiting for an update.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Was badly hungover this morning, so much so, I had to work from home. Since I cut back on drinking i get bad hangovers. :sick:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:29 pm Was badly hungover this morning, so much so, I had to work from home.
Did you bring a topbox of priceless books home in case you couldn't make it to work?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Went to Edinburgh to see the consultant about the wifes wonky bloods after they took bone marrow the other month. Pre-fibrotic what is an early stage apparently of https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about- ... 20scarring.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Pirahna wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:52 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:29 pm Was badly hungover this morning, so much so, I had to work from home.
Did you bring a topbox of priceless books home in case you couldn't make it to work?
Lol, nothing valuable goes offsite. I mainly edit or be the scan monkey for pdf creating when i wfh.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took wife to the train station. Came home, dragged camera out to get this fuzzy shot...
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Did another night shoot which was fun. Fortunately the rain managed to stay mostly off.

Even won my class again so that was a bonus.
IMG_0198.jpeg
IMG_0198.jpeg (86.07 KiB) Viewed 510 times
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Committed the cardinal sin of nearly taking another biker out. :oops:

Got myself into a shit position whilst crossing lanes to filter, came out from the left almost into his path as he was filtering down the middle. Caught up with him at the lights and apologised profusely.

I hang my head in shame.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Cleared a lot of snow!! :lol:

I wasn't supposed to work today, but my colleague messaged me at about 7.45 and asked if I could cover for her because, whilst she'd made it to work, she was at that point lying on the sofa if the back room of the office trying not to be ill! So I headed into work, the HUGE amount of snow making me so happy (about 35-40 cms this morning!). Unfortunately my colleague's husband couldn't get up the mountain in their second car, so she waited till she felt able and drove down to meet him and he drove her home.

Just after she left some workmen arrived to put in a new access system for the office - bloody hell they were loud!! My other colleague arrived just after 11am so I went out to help the other driver that lives in the building to clear our two vehicles! Well, he'd finished the minibus, so we drove to the undercover parking to keep it free of snow til the other garage door works again :roll: Then we both cleared the car - he then went shopping and I parked the car in the covered garage, then tried to clear the snow outside the office, but I ran out of arm :(

Back to the office for a bit and then finished for the day.

Got home and made some char sui pork - still in the pressure cooker! Got some 'cracking' going in the airfryer, just added a tomato and basil tart that my friend gave me!! Got some soon to be chicken stock in the second pressure cooker thingy to go in the pressure cooker when the char sui is done :D

It's still snowing :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Probably the best bit about this morning was meeting my friend and his dog - cos the dog bloody loves playing in snow - even when it’s almost as tall as she is :lol: :lol:

I need to remember to take a photo of the ‘tracks’ she leaves :lol: :lol: and take a video of her ‘running’ through the snow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

It's dry and just double figures today.
Had to drop some paperwork in town today, unpack the Yamaha!
Cold dense air means 'MORE POWER' and the front lifting on it's own in second..........and 3rd with a bit of 'encouragement'
Running an extra tooth on the front btw, hence why happy.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Tramped in the local woods with the dog and son for an hour and a bit. Really lovely fresh autumnal walk. A bit muddy, but that is what hiking boots are for! Warm dry feet. Dog went to sleep when we got home. Found all my Amazon deliveries on the door step when we got home as well, should have been delivered on Sunday, but they are here now. Also got the new bedside tables put together, they are okay, gives me somewhere to hide the hearing and glasses from the dog, she chews anything, so I'm not taking chances.

Received a list of weddings and Baptisms for next year, so put those into my diary, so that is a big job done!
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

the_priest wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:22 am Took wife to the train station. Came home, dragged camera out to get this fuzzy shot...
That's some workshop!!