Dead VW Beetle 1.9 PD TDi

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Taipan

Dead VW Beetle 1.9 PD TDi

Post by Taipan »

I have a dead diesel Beetle on my drive. It cranks over but doesn't start? Back ground is, car has been running fine. My Sister drove it 30 miles. Parked it up for a few minutes whilst she popped into the offy. Came out and it wouldn't start. Called out RAC whose diagnosis is below. I've scanned it with some free software but no codes are logged? Any ideas where to start?

Yorick

Re: Dead VW Beetle 1.9 PD TDi

Post by Yorick »

chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Nothing but a bloody nuisance, these codes... No lights on the dash? Sometimes... a fault wont show but some logic thing in the ECU stops the engine restarting but doesnt stop it running. So it could be something that happened on the the way to the offy. a knock sensor if a big pothole or kerb was hit. Even dafter, if theres no codes or lights showing, it might need 'A number of drive cycles' to clear it. Leave aside how they think you will achieve ths if you cant start it, or what exactly constitutes a drive cycle... also worth checking all the fuses. I had a Corsa here that wouldnt start and it turned out to be the ABS fuse... Again no codes... Good luck
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Started on the easy start and ran ok?

Wonder if it's an air leak in the fuel system. At cranking rev's the fuel pressure doesn't get high enough, but does when it cranks a bit faster with easy start?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Just been reminded it was gutless going up hills some times and the engine light would come on but go off again? Wonder of thats connected, although there was no engine lights on when this happened?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Even if the light isn't on, the ECU will remember old codes for a number of restarts/temp cycles.

Lack of power could be an intercooler leak, when the power dropped did it get extra smokey?
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm Just been reminded it was gutless going up hills some times and the engine light would come on but go off again? Wonder of thats connected, although there was no engine lights on when this happened?
Back to basics. The cars Sprit animal thinks something is up, but being a girls car, it has no idea what. Time for some physical checks. empty the fuel filter and check contents for water, check hoses to turbo/intercooler for splits, could be EGR valve sticking could be just about anything...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:12 pm Even if the light isn't on, the ECU will remember old codes for a number of restarts/temp cycles.

Lack of power could be an intercooler leak, when the power dropped did it get extra smokey?
Not that I know of, but I'm only going by Sisters descriptions, which was also followed by, "Do you thing its needs one of those carburettors"? :roll: :lol:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

chillitt wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:17 pm
Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:10 pm Just been reminded it was gutless going up hills some times and the engine light would come on but go off again? Wonder of thats connected, although there was no engine lights on when this happened?
Back to basics. The cars Sprit animal thinks something is up, but being a girls car, it has no idea what. Time for some physical checks. empty the fuel filter and check contents for water, check hoses to turbo/intercooler for splits, could be EGR valve sticking could be just about anything...
I asked her if she knew if it had a fuel filter fitted at any point. She said yes its serviced every year! So I don't even know how old the fuel filter is?
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Taipan wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:22 pm
chillitt wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:17 pm
I asked her if she knew if it had a fuel filter fitted at any point. She said yes its serviced every year! So I don't even know how old the fuel filter is?
Filters are cheap and easy enough to change, and getting the old one off and emptying it into something clean is a good way to see whats going on. Is there fuel there? Pick up pump is ok, is the fuel clean? Another good tick to have. If you have to change it, fill it with fuel or Redex when you fit it.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Been out and looked at it in the daylight. Fuel filter is VAG and it certainly hasnt been ina VAG garage for years, so God knows how old the filter is! I'll order one from Euros, which sadly I cant collect due to shut down, so will wait for that and see what happens with the new one.

I did manage to start it by spraying a bit of easy start down near the intake. It did gradually break into life like it was dragging fuel up? Idling away lovely now...
David

Post by David »

fuel filter. but....it will probably displace crap into the fuel rail, which is wot caused my x type to be in the garage for four months......
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

David wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:53 pm fuel filter. but....it will probably displace crap into the fuel rail, which is wot caused my x type to be in the garage for four months......
It's a PD motor, it doesn't have a fuel rail like a CR. It's TDI, Turbo'ed and Direct Injection. Old Skool.

IIRC PSA owned the patent or copyright for Common Rail injection so VAG persevered with DI and rotary pumps for a long time until they finally gave in and decided to pay to use the the technology.