What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:12 pm Messaged my boss last night cos the minibus I used needed fuelling up, but as I finished the transfer in resort, I wasn't going to drive down and do it last night. So I suggested that I went down this morning to fill up and wash the van - and have coffee with my mate :1 :1

He said thank you!!

So I went down to the valley this morning, sorted the van, found a supermarket open to get some eggs, but also found a cheap rotisserie chicken :D

Then went to my mate's place for coffee and a cinnamon roll :D (Well, LOTS of coffee and a takeaway cinnamon roll :D :D )

Back home via another friend's place and now wrapped up on the sofa watching the sprint and soon the GP :D

It was -11 this morning - I do like it as it is dry, so never feels that cold. But, it's a challenge at home as where I sit the cold comes in through the window onto the metal joint :( I'm layering up with folded fleeces!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
25c here today :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:28 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:12 pm Messaged my boss last night cos the minibus I used needed fuelling up, but as I finished the transfer in resort, I wasn't going to drive down and do it last night. So I suggested that I went down this morning to fill up and wash the van - and have coffee with my mate :1 :1

He said thank you!!

So I went down to the valley this morning, sorted the van, found a supermarket open to get some eggs, but also found a cheap rotisserie chicken :D

Then went to my mate's place for coffee and a cinnamon roll :D (Well, LOTS of coffee and a takeaway cinnamon roll :D :D )

Back home via another friend's place and now wrapped up on the sofa watching the sprint and soon the GP :D

It was -11 this morning - I do like it as it is dry, so never feels that cold. But, it's a challenge at home as where I sit the cold comes in through the window onto the metal joint :( I'm layering up with folded fleeces!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
25c here today :obscene-birdiedoublered:
I couldn't deal with that temperature here all the time! It's bad enough in the summer when it gets that hot!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

stopped on the way home this afternoon to take a photo (or three!) - snow cannons working during the day below 1500m :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took wife to the train station. Got the funeral material for the service sorted for this afternoon. Ordered a set of slightly larger clerical collars, I need that 1/2" space to breath! I'll return the two I purchased that are too tight.

Looking to collect daughter's antidepressants prescription from old pharmacy and then get her to change her address details over to new place and register with GP down here. It is just the rigmarole of the change that frustrates and challenges her.

Do a bit of shopping since I have a 10% off voucher for Lidl! Every penny counts. Then take the funeral!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Rebuilt my Systemdek transcription turntable , it's a uk made tt from the 80s which I bought second hand about 25 years ago. Originally it had a brown suede like finish called Nextel which over the years started to look like shit. So I stripped it down, removed the nextel finish (not easy) and had my mate spray it, unfortunately the expected couple of weeks turned into 9 months (shit happens) but got it back yesterday and built it back up but got zero sound out of it, this morning I've set it up and now sounds brilliant. I got him to leave the original finish on the lower part of the cradle, it would look better all sprayed but I wanted to keep some of the original finish as a nod to it's history.
Attachments
20231127_102829_copy_2016x954.jpg
20231127_102829_copy_2016x954.jpg (375.17 KiB) Viewed 555 times
20231126_174813_copy_2016x954.jpg
20231126_174813_copy_2016x954.jpg (603.46 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Flux wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:01 am Rebuilt my Systemdek transcription turntable , it's a uk made tt from the 80s which I bought second hand about 25 years ago. Originally it had a brown suede like finish called Nextel which over the years started to look like shit. So I stripped it down, removed the nextel finish (not easy) and had my mate spray it, unfortunately the expected couple of weeks turned into 9 months (shit happens) but got it back yesterday and built it back up but got zero sound out of it, this morning I've set it up and now sounds brilliant. I got him to leave the original finish on the lower part of the cradle, it would look better all sprayed but I wanted to keep some of the original finish as a nod to it's history.
Time to play the 12" of Blue Monday really loud!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:14 pm

Good choice sir. May i recommend straight after it this version of I Feel Love

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Flux wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:01 am Rebuilt my Systemdek transcription turntable , it's a uk made tt from the 80s which I bought second hand about 25 years ago. Originally it had a brown suede like finish called Nextel which over the years started to look like shit. So I stripped it down, removed the nextel finish (not easy) and had my mate spray it, unfortunately the expected couple of weeks turned into 9 months (shit happens) but got it back yesterday and built it back up but got zero sound out of it, this morning I've set it up and now sounds brilliant. I got him to leave the original finish on the lower part of the cradle, it would look better all sprayed but I wanted to keep some of the original finish as a nod to it's history.
Top choice of band to kickstart the turntable's new life! The Cramps are one of my all time faves.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Flux

Post by Flux »

[quote="Mr Moofo" post_id=280588 time=1701087294

[/quote]
I do have it on 12" Good call.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Had a bit of an epiphany over the last week or two, that Chez Gremlin is too big for me and Mrs. G now. I've had to pay somebody to do a load of painting and sprucing up, and in a couple of weeks the hall, stairs and landing is being done. That's a ballache and a half on its own.

What with the Gremlinette in Manchester now, it seems we're just rattling around it, to coin an old expression.

Probably time to fuck it off and buy a two-bed bungalow. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

gremlin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 pm Had a bit of an epiphany over the last week or two, that Chez Gremlin is too big for me and Mrs. G now. I've had to pay somebody to do a load of painting and sprucing up, and in a couple of weeks the hall, stairs and landing is being done. That's a ballache and a half on its own.

What with the Gremlinette in Manchester now, it seems we're just rattling around it, to coin an old expression.

Or a caravan in Benidorm!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:08 pm
gremlin wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 pm Had a bit of an epiphany over the last week or two, that Chez Gremlin is too big for me and Mrs. G now. I've had to pay somebody to do a load of painting and sprucing up, and in a couple of weeks the hall, stairs and landing is being done. That's a ballache and a half on its own.

Or a caravan in Leysdown!
FTFY.. :o
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

And I've fucked off the work's Christmas..., sorry, 'End of Year Party'.

One - it's on a Tuesday.

Two - It's in a venue where you need to shout into somebody's ear to be heard.

Three- last two years running the food situation was dire. Unless you had sharp elbows you ended up scrabbling for leftovers like something out of a Christian Aid appeal advert.

Four - You get two drinks, then you're on your own.

Five - I'm an old curmudgeon. :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Ours is too big for just 2 of us, but great for our family and friends visit.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today I fixed the scary gearbox problem on the GSXR :)

In neutral all was good. Stick it in gear and was like a bag of spanners.
Last time at the bike shop one lad suggested clutch release bearing.
So put it on paddock stand and let it idle in gear. Same rattle. Oops.

Asked on the GSXR forum and it's well known. It's the exhaust valve cable. Just tightened it up and rattle gone away :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Wouldn't believe it if I hadn't witnessed it. Was a Godawful noise :(

Happy owner :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Went to a service for an old school friend,one of the good guys all his life.

Diagnosed with lung cancer in August and away last week. Married 38 years,his missus was in bits.

Rest easy Spring.

Enjoy every sandwich,folks.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Been there, done that. Well, not the 2 bed bungalow, but downsized, and it's not easy.

First find a suitable property, most 2 or 3 bed places are basically shoeboxes. Designed for very small shoes! Small kitchens, small bedrooms and often with only 1 poky bathroom and almost zero storage space. We eventually found a 3 bed with 3 double bedrooms, and with sizeable storage space too, but they are like rocking horse shit.

Then there is the getting rid of 'stuff'. We e-bayed stuff, went to car boots, and gave away masses to charity shops but there is a law of physics that says A) it is never enough, the 'essential' stuff won't fit in your new gaff, and B) that useless thing you threw out/gave away after 15 years in your garage will become ESSENTIAL within a few weeks of moving, so you willl have to buy a new one.

And finally there is the 'decor'. I am sure Mrs G has skillfully collated the purchase of everything to match your existing gaff. Your new gaff will be different, and all the furniture and stuff you selected as high quality, good stuff that you would take with you will need to be replaced because they don't quite fit the ambiance of the new place. That will set you back a fortune, and a large slice of your life trying to source suitable replacements!

Good luck, you will need it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mrs.Skub went the other way. When all the kids moved out she's had the builders in and made the place bigger. :wtf:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Speaking from experience, don't, wait until nipper has properly sodded off and set up house on their own first
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:00 pm

Speaking from experience, don't, wait until nipper has properly sodded off and set up house on their own first
Was just going to not leave a forwarding address... :thumbup: