In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Saga Lout

Re: In todays news...

Post by Saga Lout »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:41 pm People who voted for Brexit more likely to be less intelligent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 52491.html
Yeah! Whenever I take an IQ test I score in the 130s. But I voted Leave so I'm obviously thick as mince. :roll:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:41 pm People.....more likely to be less intelligent.
It would be nice to think it's a Normal Distribution Curve, but it isn't so ^^^ that's nearer the mark. Or, to put it another way, there are more people that get poor education and support for it at home than get good education...so lots of young people with lots of potential don't get much chance to develop their 'intelligence'. As someone once said 'Education, education, education'. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mildly amused by local news this morning...
Some guy crashed his pick up into a power pole & attempted to leave the scene & outrun the rozzers using his walking frame.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:36 pm Mildly amused by local news this morning...
Some guy crashed his pick up into a power pole & attempted to leave the scene & outrun the rozzers using his walking frame.
You should write a book y'know. An Englishman in LA. :D

(I'm assuming that's roughly where you are).
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:41 pm You should write a book y'know. A Cornishman in LA. :D

FTFY....

Northern LA County... There's a mountains between here & *down the hill*
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:44 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:41 pm You should write a book y'know. A Cornishman in LA. :D

FTFY....

Northern LA County... There's a mountains between here & *down the hill*
Very wise to keep the mountains as a cordon sanitaire from the insanity.

Do the Merkins understand that the Cornish are a bit like the Amish? Living in a transmogrified state of a world of their own :lol: Sheesh, you Bretons.
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 5:36 pm Mildly amused by local news this morning...
Maybe he thought they'd be on Hardleys. ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:56 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:06 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:05 am

...and Guto Harri spent 18 years at the BBC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guto_Harri

It's unreasonable to expect individuals to be completely apolitical but perfectly reasonable that they follow their employer's guidelines and rules that they sign up to. If they don't, sack 'em.
Unless you've got a Lineker exemption...
Lineker doesn't work for BBC News, isn't a reporter/journalist and isn't on the BBC payroll AFAIK. He gets paid too much as a contractor though. :thumbup:

(People probably froth at the mouth about what some of the panel of HIGNIFY say on the show and in their 'real lives' too :lol: - but it's a bought in programme from Hat Trick Productions and they aren't on the payroll either).
Have I missed something then? I thought Lineker was drawing over £20 million from us/BBC. Again, maybe i'm missing soemthing then, but I thought all the ruckus was about him flaunting the BBCs guidelines?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:43 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:06 am

Unless you've got a Lineker exemption...
Lineker doesn't work for BBC News, isn't a reporter/journalist and isn't on the BBC payroll AFAIK. He gets paid too much as a contractor though. :thumbup:

(People probably froth at the mouth about what some of the panel of HIGNIFY say on the show and in their 'real lives' too :lol: - but it's a bought in programme from Hat Trick Productions and they aren't on the payroll either).
Have I missed something then? I thought Lineker was drawing over £20 million from us/BBC. Again, maybe i'm missing soemthing then, but I thought all the ruckus was about him flaunting the BBCs guidelines?
Well, possibly. If he'd flaunted the guidelines and broken his contract etc...but he isn't on the BBC payroll, they don't pay his NI etc etc, but, more importantly I was talking about BBC News....y'know the bit that has the Today Programme that the 'swivel-eyed, right wing loon' Rod Liddle used to edit. The BBC employs a lot of people directly and indirectly but I guess if you had your way, they'd only employ people that say what you want to hear. :wtf:
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:53 pm

Well, possibly. If he'd flaunted the guidelines and broken his contract etc...but he isn't on the BBC payroll, they don't pay his NI etc etc, but, more importantly I was talking about BBC News....y'know the bit that has the Today Programme that the 'swivel-eyed, right wing loon' Rod Liddle used to edit. The BBC employs a lot of people directly and indirectly but I guess if you had your way, they'd only employ people that say what you want to hear. :wtf:
I'm struggling to understand all the ruckus about Lineker based on what you're saying, but a quick shufi finds this below?
So he should be accountable, yes?
BBC wrote:The BBC as an organisation is supposed to be impartial. That means that it needs to reflect different views on a certain subject and doesn't have an opinion itself.

This is considered particularly important when it comes to the news, telling people what's happening around the world.

For this reason a journalist - that means a person who reports on the news - needs to be be impartial all the time.

However, Gary Lineker works in sport and not in news and he is not a journalist - so the rules around his job are slightly different.

He is employed by the BBC on a freelance basis, and has hosted Match of the Day since 1999.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/64940860
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

The word is flouting.

For God’s sake!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:10 pm The word is flouting.

For God’s sake!
Leave him out of out of it Christ's sake!
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 6:53 pm

So who ultimately pays Lineker's contract? Just asking. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:24 pm

For God’s sake!
For fuck’s sake!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

JackyJoll wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 pm

For God’s sake!
For fuck’s sake!
Blasphemer!!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

For God’s sake!
Flouting. You are correct. My bad. I can't even blame speelchucker. :(
Voltaire
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:41 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 7:31 pm

For fuck’s sake!
Blasphemer!!

Apostate!

(Wot does that mean, by the way?)
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

I looked it up: it’s someone who checks out of their religion.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JamJar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:08 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 5:05 pm
Rockburner wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:22 pm

Point of order: it's not "oppression" if all they're doing is feathering their own (and families/friends) nests, it's just corruption, (or maybe simple neglection of duty if you want to be nice).

Oppression would be ordering the police to stalk the streets, arresting random people for no good reason and otherwise preventing the general public from going about their daily lives. That's not happening, if anything the police are being de-funded and abandoned to their own fate, just like the rest of us.

The Conservatives WANT you to go about your daily life, they want you in a nice little bubble of ignorance so they can get on with making money without any interference from you. And that's what is happening, because we all have jobs and social lives that have nothing to do with politics.
So pretty much modern day Slavery then?

We do everything for them to have everything and for us to have nothing even though we are the ones doing all the work? ;)
You are worth over £200 000!!!
Which is exactly my point!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Saga Lout wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:55 pm
Pirahna wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:41 pm People who voted for Brexit more likely to be less intelligent.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 52491.html
Yeah! Whenever I take an IQ test I score in the 130s. But I voted Leave so I'm obviously thick as mince. :roll:
I'm only the messenger. You'll notice the headline I quoted said "more likely", it didn't say "definitely", but as you're so bright I expect you spotted that.