Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Chuck em in the sea? Seams a bit harsh.
mangocrazy

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:59 pm Chuck em in the sea? Seams a bit harsh.
I'd say it's a 100% reliable method. You can't be too careful, can you? :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Looking at an Artura and I must be missing the point of hybrids as that full electric range seems as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike! :wtf:

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It means you can leave your gravel driveway in crunchy cruncy serenity and be 2 miles down the lane before firing up the blaring V6 with its 2000rpm cold idle.

S'actually a really popular selling point of these hybrid supercars!

Also means you don't draw a crowd with your noisey ham fisted parallel parking.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

19 miles would cover most of my journeys, if I plugged it in each time then the engine would hardly fire up.

I probably wouldn't ever plug it in as it's a lot of faff and hardly any cheaper to run it (maybe more), I think that's what they found with most PHEV in use.
roadster

Post by roadster »

Why I am giving up on plug-in hybrids.

I have been running a PHEV for nearly two years. When I bought it I was expecting to be able to use an overnight charging electrical tariff which would make a reasonable saving per mile compared to petrol. This has not happened for two reasons. First EON Next insisted in installing a smart meter but have consistently refused to make it work, it has literally never worked! That has ruled out lower off-peak electricity charges. Then finally huge price increases made the effort of continually plugging in and recharging only marginally worthwhile. In summer I can run in hybrid mode ( no net use of electricity) and the SUV will achieve 45 mpg but in winter this can drop to below 40 mpg.

My next car will be a non-plug in hybrid and it remains to be seen whether the advances in engine and hybrid technologies will do better.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Smart meters would be my problem as well. I have a 1st gen meter that only works with BG, e.on have refused to swap it for another. I guess the smart meter box is ticked and they don't care if it works.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Taipan wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:33 pm Looking at an Artura and I must be missing the point of hybrids as that full electric range seems as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike! :wtf:

TBH, that would be ideal for us. Big batteries are heavy and expensive, so they quickly become expensive to run.

We live 5 miles from our local town, so a significant number of our car journeys (shopping, kids to school, drive to station for work etc) are around 10-15 miles. Having an ICE engine for the big journeys, but a small and light battery/motor for the other 80% of our journeys would work out well. I don't think this is atypical tbh.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Horse wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:25 am As an aside, @636mick will be able to tell you the potential knock-on effects of major petrol and diesel spills on the road after collisions.

Often, a road will be shut for the clean-up. Sometimes needing resurfacing (and painting new lines, etc).
Yep, had to close a chunk of the M1 last week after a bin truck went up. It also split the diesel tank which was then on the road surface for 5 hours plus. Although it looks ok after being treated and cleaned, within a couple of weeks the surface breaks up, massive potholes and areas with no top surface left. Very expensive insurance claim against the bin truck owners policy.
Mick
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

roadster wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 8:58 am Why I am giving up on plug-in hybrids.

I have been running a PHEV for nearly two years. When I bought it I was expecting to be able to use an overnight charging electrical tariff which would make a reasonable saving per mile compared to petrol. This has not happened for two reasons. First EON Next insisted in installing a smart meter but have consistently refused to make it work, it has literally never worked! That has ruled out lower off-peak electricity charges. Then finally huge price increases made the effort of continually plugging in and recharging only marginally worthwhile. In summer I can run in hybrid mode ( no net use of electricity) and the SUV will achieve 45 mpg but in winter this can drop to below 40 mpg.

My next car will be a non-plug in hybrid and it remains to be seen whether the advances in engine and hybrid technologies will do better.
In fairness, this does sound more like an issue with your energy provider rather than any inherent issue or factor with PHEVs.
Horse

Post by Horse »

636mick wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:14 am
Very expensive insurance claim against the bin truck owners policy.
Mick
Can't remember the cost per metre of surfacing, but it's something like £1k per metre for barrier repairs.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ford just pulled $12B away from EV development, Chevy just interested $1B in new V8 platform....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:27 pm Ford just pulled $12B away from EV development, Chevy just interested $1B in new V8 platform....
Aye, s'only $38bn they're spending now :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 6:28 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 5:27 pm Ford just pulled $12B away from EV development, Chevy just interested $1B in new V8 platform....
Aye, s'only $38bn they're spending now :lol:
They lost $12B on EV's, so I guess they decided to cut investment by the same amount to cover the loss.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ford just stopped sales of hybrid Explorers & Lincoln Aviators to the general public:

https://www.motor1.com/news/697122/ford ... ng-around/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:43 pm Ford just stopped sales of hybrid Explorers & Lincoln Aviators to the general public:
Because they're selling so many to the police that they can't keep up with demand. :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:03 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:43 pm Ford just stopped sales of hybrid Explorers & Lincoln Aviators to the general public:
Because they're selling so many to the police that they can't keep up with demand. :lol:
General public in the US wasn't buying them. I've never seen one & there aren't any on dealer lots... & I haven't seen any cop versions either. Gen 6 Explorers are still a rare sight after 3 years of production. Apparently ST's are 10% of sales. but around 35% of the Gen 6's I see.
Have only seen a single Gen 6 cop version in LA & it wasn't the hybrid.. they gotta be out there someplace.
McSatan

Post by McSatan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am Isn't it meant to be powder or CO2 on electric fires? These guys clearly not done the 45 minute fire marshal training course.
Water. Vast amounts of water then pick it up with a crane and dump it into a skip full of water.
Horse

Post by Horse »

McSatan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:13 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:25 am Isn't it meant to be powder or CO2 on electric fires? These guys clearly not done the 45 minute fire marshal training course.
Water. Vast amounts of water then pick it up with a crane and dump it into a skip full of water.
Search here for 'brine'
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kerbside charging from your house.

https://www.kerbocharge.com/