What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by the_priest »

Several deliveries today. Ikea, table from Amazon, chairs from Etsy and post! My bed building skills are going to be honed just now as I help my son with his first "proper" bed. He has always had old used bedframes. So he was happy to get a brand new bed that he chose!

Built the table, one of the chairs, stuck it in the kitchen. Will do another chair later on.

Boiler technician is here to sort the stuck radiator valves and service the boiler. May add an inhibitor to the system as well.

Wife is working so will fetch her from the station later on, so she does not have the 15 minute walk home, she is feeling frail after the move and her brain tumour is due another MRI which has not happened on schedule, so we are concerned.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Packed the van ready for the ferry tomorrow. CalMac are running a temporary timetable which means I have an 0400 start.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Worked and cooked! But the cooking ended with a blooming lovely tea!! :lol:

Fish Pie - and six more for the freezer :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Had a plumbing blockage (house, not me). Dropped the P trap under the kitchen sink, all clear. Popped the cover off the outside clean-out, then got a hose to stick in the hole. Barely touched the fucking tap by the clean-out & the pipe broke... INSIDE THE WALL!! ARRRGGHH!!

Ran back through the house, grabbed the valve tool as I went through the garage & turned the water off.

Walked back into the kitchen to find a puddle about 1 sq yard. fuckbuggerybollocks.

Started mopping up, good news is there's no more water coming out from under the cabinets along that wall.

Awaiting plumber. Pipe nipple won't pull out the wall, so that means cutting a hole in the stucco. I can do that with a diamond disc on an angle grinder instead of whaling away with a BFH & masonry chisel.

Thinking if I do that now I might be able to sort the problem before the plumber shows up in 2-4 hours time.
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:19 pm Had a plumbing blockage (house, not me). Dropped the P trap under the kitchen sink, all clear. Popped the cover off the outside clean-out, then got a hose to stick in the hole. Barely touched the fucking tap by the clean-out & the pipe broke... INSIDE THE WALL!! ARRRGGHH!!

Ran back through the house, grabbed the valve tool as I went through the garage & turned the water off.

Walked back into the kitchen to find a puddle about 1 sq yard. fuckbuggerybollocks.

Started mopping up, good news is there's no more water coming out from under the cabinets along that wall.

Awaiting plumber. Pipe nipple won't pull out the wall, so that means cutting a hole in the stucco. I can do that with a diamond disc on an angle grinder instead of whaling away with a BFH & masonry chisel.

Thinking if I do that now I might be able to sort the problem before the plumber shows up in 2-4 hours time.
Some folk have all the fun. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Radiators need to be flushed, system is full of crud after being drained and left for a couple of months. No inhibitor either. So waiting for heating agents to call back. At least this is something I don't need to pay for!

Finish building the bed, then a nice glass of port and bed!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Skub wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:59 pm Some folk have all the fun. :lol:
Got the mullared pipe nipple out of the wall. Looks like it was one more sonic boom or minor quake from failing. Thank fuck it happened when I touched it & not in the middle of the night.

gremlin

Post by gremlin »

In a fit of enthusiasm I took the plastic loft hatch down, which has yellowed over the years, gave it a rub down, cleaned it up and sprayed it back to white with a rattle can of paint.

Now waiting for it to dry and realising just how bloody cold it is on this landing with a gaping hole up into the loft.

Maybe I should have waited for summer to tackle this job. :think:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:58 pm In a fit of enthusiasm I took the plastic loft hatch down, which has yellowed over the years, gave it a rub down, cleaned it up and sprayed it back to white with a rattle can of paint.

Now waiting for it to dry and realising just how bloody cold it is on this landing with a gaping hole up into the loft.

I'd replace it with an insulated one. Heat just going up wasted.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:30 pm
gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:58 pm In a fit of enthusiasm I took the plastic loft hatch down, which has yellowed over the years, gave it a rub down, cleaned it up and sprayed it back to white with a rattle can of paint.

I'd replace it with an insulated one. Heat just going up wasted.
It is insulated, you doughnut.

Only the insulation ain't no good when the loft hatch is in the garage waiting for the paint to dry. :lol:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When we had our HS+L painted/decorated we got the man to fit a new loft hatch with an integrated ladder. This one has a big rubber seal around the edge, you have to push it shut and turn the catch 90° (with your big long loft pole, natch) to shut the door.

Even thought the old one was also insulated, it makes a noticeable difference! We just didnt' notice the steady trickle of cold air coming down before.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:34 pm

When we had our HS+L painted/decorated we got the man to fit a new loft hatch with an integrated ladder. This one has a big rubber seal around the edge, you have to push it shut and turn the catch 90° (with your big long loft pole, natch) to shut the door.

Even thought the old one was also insulated, it makes a noticeable difference! We just didnt' notice the steady trickle of cold air coming down before.
Somewhat annoyingly, some of the foam seal around the hatch stuck to the surround and get ripped off when I took it down. I'll have to figure a way to get the seal tight when I put it back (hopefully this evening, getting a bit nippy now the sun's going down!), probably with a door seal strip from B&Q or such like....

Our house is currently being decorated. I can taste dust and smell paint wherever I go in the house.... :thumbdown:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Please, can someone explain HS&L to me??
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Noggin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:47 pm Please, can someone explain HS&L to me??
Hall, stairs & landing I guess?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Helipad, Statue and Lake.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Apply whichever description to the correct poster :1 :1 :lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:51 pm Hall, stairs & landing I guess?
KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:53 pm Helipad, Statue and Lake.

Thanx guys! :D
Felix

Post by Felix »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:43 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:34 pm

Somewhat annoyingly, some of the foam seal around the hatch stuck to the surround and get ripped off when I took it down. I'll have to figure a way to get the seal tight when I put it back (hopefully this evening, getting a bit nippy now the sun's going down!), probably with a door seal strip from B&Q or such like....

Our house is currently being decorated. I can taste dust and smell paint wherever I go in the house.... :thumbdown:
If you shop around this handy sticky back rubber comes in different sizes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403319449154 ... BMsPihkv9i

Dono if they sell it also but seals direct is a handy site for all seals.

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shop/cate ... ubbers-472
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:53 pm Helipad, Statue and Lake.
Loft hatch makes the landings a bit tricky, but I found a good pilot :thumbup:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Turned off electricity in a planned fashion for large chunks of the railway and then turned it back on again later, then turned off some more electricity (for an unusual event but still planned) after some twit wrote his 21 plate BMW off on one of our bridge walls, ejecting several very heavy blocks of brickwork (several tonnes worth) onto the tracks below! It is a very busy night shift.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

Up early as usual, coffee and attacked the pile of work to be done. Typing is uncomfortable after I sliced a chunk of my finger off with my axe chopping wood for someone, no good deed goes unpunished it seems.
I'm away for a few days after today, so aside from the usual work I have packing and preparing to get done.

The days seem to fly by as I get older, I drop the odd post on here just to read back, same as FB really.