What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Baby Dazzle's (3) first bike crash! :D :(

Got a bit of speed up on her balance bike (basically a bike with no pedals) and drove into a wall. Cried for all of 3s then got back on the bike. Proud Dad moment :D

She broke her front wheel, its only got 2 spokes now. Must be a common occurrence though, cause an OEM new one is a fiver.
cheb

Post by cheb »

That reminds me of watching, from a distance some way away, my older spawn learn to ride a bicycle. Got the hang of pedalling before the hang of breaking. Luckily there was a wall for them to stop against.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Certainly not up to F400’s caliber but bloody tasty!
Attachments
AC7E287B-5EB4-4DD6-B0BF-0D3D5E936D37.jpeg
AC7E287B-5EB4-4DD6-B0BF-0D3D5E936D37.jpeg (242.01 KiB) Viewed 1298 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

cheb wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm That reminds me of watching, from a distance some way away, my older spawn learn to ride a bicycle. Got the hang of pedalling before the hang of breaking. Luckily there was a wall for them to stop against.
The balance bike is great....no pedals and a big brightly coloured brake that only does the rear wheel. The handlebars are also very limited in their range of motion.

Had to tell her the brake is the "stop handle", otherwise she thinks she's done something wrong and broken something when you tell her to brake. :D

ogri

Post by ogri »

cheb wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:54 pm That reminds me of watching, from a distance some way away, my older spawn learn to ride a bicycle. Got the hang of pedalling before the hang of breaking. Luckily there was a wall for them to stop against.
Being taught to ride my first bike (1977 fsiedx) 'turn the throttle and slowly release the clutch', half way round the car park of the local odeon cinema (north end, portsmouth) shout out ' how do i stop?' :)
Ignorance is bliss
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

18ish years ago my mate Stuart decided he wanted to pass his bike test.

No problem I say. I've got a bike you can have a go on and you won't break if you crash it.

It was a Kawasaki KDX220R.

Needless to say he dropped the clutch while the revs were in the powerband.

He wheelied it into the nearest bush.

I laughed my tits off.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I upset someone.
The dweeb posted a video on FB of him pulling out of a parking lot on his ZRX1200 & accelerating like a slug on Seconal, followed by some old duffer on a scooter who promptly passes the ZRX & buggers off into the distance.
Dweeb was pissed, accused the scooter rider of aggressive riding & was looking for support/sympathy from other ZRX riders...Needless to say he rightly got the piss ripped out of him & it went rapidly downhill. The fucker blocked me just as I was getting warmed up. Still managed to grab screenshots though :)
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Topped the engine up in the golf with some oil last night.

Came to work this morning and the car had a really lumpy idle and was revving randomly and generally not running well at all.

I have been sitting here most of this morning thinking what could cause the issue, then thought, i wonder if i put the filler cap back on right?

Well, i hadn't put it back on at all and luckily it was still there loose under the bonnet, so i put the filler cap back on and wallah, nice smooth engine again.

I'm such a fool lol!
David

Post by David »

Greenman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:45 am Topped the engine up in the golf with some oil last night.

Came to work this morning and the car had a really lumpy idle and was revving randomly and generally not running well at all.

I have been sitting here most of this morning thinking what could cause the issue, then thought, i wonder if i put the filler cap back on right?

Well, i hadn't put it back on at all and luckily it was still there loose under the bonnet, so i put the filler cap back on and wallah, nice smooth engine again.

I'm such a fool lol!
You aren't the first, and won't be the last. Of course, as a professional :crazy: (one time)mechanic, I would never do that, :crazy: :crazy: :wtf:
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Curious why it would run lumpy as a result... don't recall that happening when I did it :?
David

Post by David »

slowsider wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:21 pm Curious why it would run lumpy as a result... don't recall that happening when I did it :?
That would be an over weak mixture as some vehicles breath partially out of the crankcase to clear fumes.
David

Post by David »

Just made 25 litres of double strength ginger beer.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

David wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:04 pm
slowsider wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:21 pm Curious why it would run lumpy as a result... don't recall that happening when I did it :?
That would be an over weak mixture as some vehicles breath partially out of the crankcase to clear fumes.
This.

You are not allowed to vent crankcase fumes 'overboard' any more and haven't been for years. Cars often vent into the cam cases and run negative pressure inside them to ensure fumes don't escape.

They've got sensors and systems in place to make sure that all happens correctly, removing the oil cap - and hence buggering up the vacuum in the case - throws it all out of whack.

My old Bonneville on the other hand vents them oily fumes to a point just above the rear wheel. Genius :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've done the same on a Golf GTI.

Only mine was a 90 Spec Big Bumper Mk2 8V.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

HAd a job intreview on the tinternet. Job's in Falmouth (couldnt get much further away. So we find out in a fortnight, come friday. so what do i need to know about Falmouth..... (Yes a big commute) :?
Potter

Post by Potter »

rodbargee wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 pm HAd a job intreview on the tinternet. Job's in Falmouth (couldnt get much further away. So we find out in a fortnight, come friday. so what do i need to know about Falmouth..... (Yes a big commute) :?
We had a look at that area and according to a few people we asked Falmouth is still ok - at least compared to the north shore where it's chav central every summer and a ghost town in the winter.

As long as you don't need to do much driving about during holiday season then 'appen it's a decent enough town to live in.
The rest of Cornwall seems to be plagued with drug addicts and dropouts, but as I said we were told Falmouth seems to have escaped a lot of the issues that have plagued other places down there.
Horse

Post by Horse »

As above re traffic, if staying anywhere in the town you need to have a guaranteed parking space.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

My younger spawn did a masters in Falmouth. It's a pleasant place, unfashionable enough that it's not full of VW driving surfer dudes. Plenty of good tea shops.

And close to where Trveithick was born so handy for the occasional pilgrimage.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Got my new passport - only 3 months, is that good? I don't need it now as my December trip to southern Africa has been cancelled.

Also just had my soba (wood burner) delivered. I need some chimney pieces and a slab of marble to sit it on but there's no rush, I doubt I'll need it before January. It'll take me that long to work out how to re-arrange the furniture. :D
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:19 pm I've done the same on a Golf GTI.

Only mine was a 90 Spec Big Bumper Mk2 8V.
Classic.

My mate had one of them and ran it untill it finally died with about 170k on the clock. The gearbox gave up in the end.