What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
cheb

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by cheb »

My first modeling session for this year. Peeving in a way as it was a lovely day and I spent it indoors sometimes staring at a blank white emulsioned wall.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Put my van in to get some welding done and MOT.
Spent the rest of the day doing little oddjobs* and walking our dog (Bull Lurcher) and daughters French Bulldog along the river.

*Mostly jointing some 90mm square (ish) oak to glue together and make a very thick benchtop using a very old but effective wooden jointer plane I bought from my local secondhand place.
Mind, I had to plane the plane sole flat first but what a nice thing it is but its a LOT simpler than tuning a metal jointer plane.
Oh and using some scraps of 4"x2" to start yet another set of sawstools, once I had a good simple design theyve been breeding all over the county and prentices have been copying em.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Missed brekky but the lovely host made me a nice sarny.

The bill for 3 course meal with bottle of wine and the sarny was 20€.

Then went to find the place that Penny had originally booked.
What a shithole area. I wouldn't have felt safe leaving the bike there if I'd brought it. It made Beirut look posh.
Even though it was paid for i drove off. Nowhere within a mile to get food or a beer and strange folk just wandering round.

So called the first hotel and she was happy to have us back.

She said that as we'd made pals with the New York lad, we could share the upstairs patio with him and Elvis could stay in the room rather than the car.
Lovely room with fridge and microwave with bathroom next door.
Then she insisted that she made me a huge meal with wine.

Happy boys here

Having a beer before the afternoon nap
20231118_151512.jpg
20231118_151512.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 446 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

A friend took me to the valley to complete my mission of buying new winter boots!

Success!!

And I also got some pork so it's now in the fridge doing the slow turn into bacon and got some carrots cos I have to make carrot cake tomorrow!

Now to sort out some stuff (the bins outside have been out of action for the week whilst they 'reorganised' them, so I need to sort out getting my rubbish down to them!) :lol:

But, am very very happy with the boots, smartest long boots I've ever had (without a stiletto heel) :D :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Walked the dogs in the pissing rain. Grim, this is about the muddiest I've ever seen the Downs.

Trip to the beer shop to get some GF Longman Pilsner and and a takeaway Thai tonight.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

Charity stuff that made a huge difference to someone.
I don’t do it for recognition so the details aren’t important but I mention it because it’s such a great feeling seeing someone go from very unhappy to very happy because you got involved and made a difference.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Realised that Amazon had delivered expensive goods to a "neighbour" who was 5 minutes walk away in a dark alley and left on the front steps in the rain... no one home, neighbour saw me coming down the road and we had a quick chat. It was "signed for" as well. I've updated the delivery instructions even further. Go to the church. See house on the left, deliver there.

Spent the last few days unpacking goods, collecting things from the old house (lots of pot plants) and generally trying to get things in the right place. New things are working nicely, washer, cooker and fridge/freezer are lovely.

Just need to get the furniture assembled when delivered by Ikea on Tuesday. Best update those delivery instructions as well....
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Today went exploring down sarf on Gran Canaria. Very touristy so decided to head up into the hills.
Went straight up from Puerto deMogan on the utterly insane GC605. Just kept going up and getting narrower and steeper. To almost 6,000 ft
Was in first on some if the steep hairpins
Great fun ;)
20231119_140224.jpg
20231119_140224.jpg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 371 times
20231119_140219.jpg
20231119_140219.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 371 times
20231119_135750.jpg
20231119_135750.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 371 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I woke up with a massive headache (like I'd had a few pints of rum last night - I hadn't!!) so, when trying to sleep it off didn't work, I got up and decided to do stuff.

I made
black cherry and apple crumble
sausage rolls, sausage and apple rolls
viennese whirls
banana pancakes
carrot cake
homemade custard (to go with the crumble)

The crumble was because some friends invited me for dinner, so I took pudding :D :D

Still feel ropey, but had a fairly good day overall :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:20 pm Today went exploring down sarf on Gran Canaria. Very touristy so decided to head up into the hills.
Went straight up from Puerto deMogan on the utterly insane GC605. Just kept going up and getting narrower and steeper. To almost 6,000 ft
Great fun ;)

20231119_140224.jpg20231119_140219.jpg20231119_135750.jpg
That would play havoc with my fear of heights/long drops...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:20 pm Today went exploring down sarf on Gran Canaria. Very touristy so decided to head up into the hills.
Great fun ;)

I'd say that you'd love the roads out here, but even in summer it's probably not hot enough for you!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:16 pm
Great fun ;)

That would play havoc with my fear of heights/long drops...
Was OK actually. I have been scared in the Alps :(
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Spent the best part of two hours chasing a Harvest Mouse around the living room.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:11 pm Spent the best part of two hours chasing a Harvest Mouse around the living room.
Get a shooter. Instant man points.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:11 pm Spent the best part of two hours chasing a Harvest Mouse around the living room.
Start small Rocky. Chickens will come later.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Me and Mrs. G have been married 26 years today. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

15 mins drive.
2 hour ferry.
2 hour drive.
Half hour ferry.
45 minute drive.
Emptied and vacuumed the car.

Sat by pool with a beer.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Been cutting some 100mm x 10mm plugs out of an oak beam. Problem is the beam is 250mm sq, so having to cut slot the plugs out, with a handsaw!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

An hour of Swedish Death Cleaning. Three weeks ago I started a brutal clear out. My son had some time to help me get rid of my bedroom furniture but I hadn't prepared so I emptied everything onto the floor. In between working and other jobs I've been picking away at it along with my three hallway cupboards. I don't consider myself a hoarder but I've been shocked at how much stuff I actually have. I've chucked half my clothes, all my old biker boots/helmets/jackets, my cassette tapes, CDs and videos - I've just kept my vinyl which I'll sell at some point. It's been horrible but once it's done, it's done and I'm finally starting to feel the benefits. At least now everything is in a box or ready to go to the tip.

Half way into it I found out that it has a name, Swedish Death Cleaning and you can buy self help books about it, not that I have. I Googled it and read about it over a coffee. I kept hearing that it would make me feel better but at that point I was finding it very hard. Now though, now it's nearly done I do actually feel good even though I know I'll spend the next five years looking for things and wondering if I threw them out.
Lockdown refugee
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:31 pm An hour of Swedish Death Cleaning. Three weeks ago I started a brutal clear out. My son had some time to help me get rid of my bedroom furniture but I hadn't prepared so I emptied everything onto the floor. In between working and other jobs I've been picking away at it along with my three hallway cupboards. I don't consider myself a hoarder but I've been shocked at how much stuff I actually have. I've chucked half my clothes, all my old biker boots/helmets/jackets, my cassette tapes, CDs and videos - I've just kept my vinyl which I'll sell at some point. It's been horrible but once it's done, it's done and I'm finally starting to feel the benefits. At least now everything is in a box or ready to go to the tip.

Half way into it I found out that it has a name, Swedish Death Cleaning and you can buy books and self help books about it, not that I have. I Googled it and read about it over a coffee. I kept hearing that it would make me feel better but at that point I was finding it very hard. Now though, now it's nearly done I do actually feel good even though I know I'll spend the next five years looking for things and wondering if I threw them out.
My Da was a hoarder,he kept everything from my childhood and much,much more. It took me years to get the job done and towards the finish line I was just binning stuff without looking. I know very well I threw things away which in isolation,I may not have done,but it all got too much and all that mattered was to get it all cleared.

There is a refreshing aspect of the new broom which is rewarding. Stuff can be cool,but too much stuff is stressful.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955