Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taff

Re: Lockdown Nov 20, what are you doing ?

Post by Taff »

someone has decided that I'm critical to teh defence of the realm so I'll be working just like the last one, but in the office instead of being at home.

someone who gets paid more than me decided that certain people had to be in the office 5 days a week, flexible working suspended and a polite request to do 20% overtime
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I have to work, critical national infrastructure and if some idiot/mental health issue/poor sod throws himself on the railway, I have to be there to turn the power off.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
ogri

Post by ogri »

No shielding order so, hopefully, working :)
Ignorance is bliss
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:04 pm I'll be WFH... which means doing the obsolete minimum amount of work.

So I might do some polishing.

I've got the day off tomorrow, so might take the Enfield out for a spin to see if I've fixed the weep from the head gasket. If not then a new HG will be a nice little project. Might even have a look at how clean the intake is and neaten it up (with my top tuning tool, the Dremel) for more POWER!

I really really want to buy a race bike for next year, but I also want to buy a retro superbike and I also want to buy a tourer, or maybe a cheap track toy... too many wants!
VFR750 is all those bikes 🤣
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Couchy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 pm VFR750 is all those bikes 🤣
Yeah, and you went and sold it already!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 pm So none of you are doing anything other than working? No hobbies, no DIY projects, no taking up martial arts, nothing? You boring sods
Well in no paticular order;

I need to track down a clock I fancy for my study, one of these https://www.canford.co.uk/Images/ItemIm ... 782_01.jpg
Keep my rowing up
Fettle the bike, need a new oil cooler guard and to fit the dash cam, and whatever comes to mind, maybe track down a UK seller of carbon fibre nacelle housings
Smoke some meats
Play some Warzone
Maybe buy the MasterChief collection
No DIY as such, it ain't my gaff
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:57 pm So none of you are doing anything other than working? No hobbies, no DIY projects, no taking up martial arts, nothing? You boring sods
Bought an exercise bike ;)

Up to 30 miles per day... trouble is that takes me two and a half hours!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:49 pm
Bought an exercise bike ;)

Up to 30 miles per day... trouble is that takes me two and a half hours!
Over the weeks it'll take a bit less time and time again
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:50 pm
Over the weeks it'll take a bit less time and time again
I'm working on it ;)

It's hard to believe now but I was up to doing HC climbs on the Tour de France route on my MTB 25 years ago ;) One a day, mind, but that was enough. A beer at the top was needed. :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

We worked through the last one doing CBT training for key workers but this time the DVSA has said "no car or bike training" even though we can do it all socially distanced unlike car training :oops:

So tomorrow is our last training day so getting a few instructors in, staggering CBT start times from 7am and hoping to get a dozen through instead of the usual 4 in 3 different groups rotating the classroom work and pad training with me and another doing the road rides in groups of 2 .....going to be interesting as we had 40 booked in for mainly me to do over the next 2 and a bit weeks

Once thats done then get the MTB back out and dune bashing every few days as the gym now shut. Might chuck in some road rides as the roads will be a bit quieter and see if my old 20 mile route is still 1 hour 20 on mtb tyres. I also have a patio i am going to lift and relay flat as its a bit lumpy at the moment.

I am sure i can find some other projects along the way :thumbup:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Unless the management at the site I'm on can't get accommodation sorted I'll be working this time.
Last lockdown I was off for 10 weeks, then back for a month followed by off for another month making 14 weeks off in total but I can't see that hapening again.

I was kind of hoping to get some time off and do work on my own home cos the site I'm currently on is about an hour and a half away from my house and starting work there at half seven is kind of getting on my nerves now.
Means I'm setting off at six and the work is generally pretty heavy. I'm just knackered all the time.
Wouldn't bother me so much but the site is a shithole run by people who just go totally by whats written on the programme and not by whats obvious that needs doing on site.
I can see the company I'm working for will end up getting bumped for money at some point and I'd rather not be there when it happens.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Retired properly in March, so we painted the house last lockdown and it doesn't need painted again yet. Gardened the garden then too - still have the bramble scars to prove it - and it's now November so that's mostly off. I could sweep up leaves, but no I couldn't. I've fixed the TD, the other cars are OK, ditto the bikes tho the Serow could be cleaner but then it wouldn't be a Serow. Bertha (Talbot campervan) could do with some new wood underneath but that's about it.

I may have to post on here a bit, just to occupy some time. Like this.
Potter

Post by Potter »

We had a rethink some weeks ago about what our plans are because all our oversees trips have been cancelled and it looks like international trips/holidays won't be happening next year either. So what to do? You have to have a break from real life otherwise you go crackers.

We thought back to when we had a caravan in the UK and we used to like going away in that, even if it was only ten miles away it was somewhere where we felt 'away from it all'. So we bought a proper sailing yacht - it's basically a big caravan with sails and an inboard motor.

We use it at weekends, on our time off and because modern technology is ace I can even get a decent phone/internet signal a few miles offshore, so I can work from it as well if I fancy. Obviously your state of mind is all in your head, but in theory if we provisioned properly we could actually just sail off into the sunset, so there is at least an illusion of freedom.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Not going to be doing much work, even though I mostly work from home, due to my health being fucked up, and any doctor who could possibly help being a bit busy. Not going anywhere as on immuno suppressants and not wishing to use that as a short cut to see those doctors. Not buying anything to help get through lockdown as self employed and its not been a great year for that. Lockdown means lockdown, so like last time, sit it out, and try not to complain too much.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Same as always..

Work from home.
Try and sell more coffee online as the farmers markets will either be closed or dead anyway.
Building a lapidary machine - i have the wheels just in from Poland and China, so machine up a shaft, makes some pulleys, and fashion up some kind of water lubrication/cooling system.
Do some work on the tractor - hahahaha
Tidy workshop - maybe add some aircon in there.
Add shelving in compressor shed
Move parts washer outside - make a lean-to for it to live under
Possibly box in compressor to cut noise down (for the neighbours)
Install a new shower/bath
Install a water softener
Clean roof of moss
Dig a new soakaway relief
Build a new chicken coop
Lay some gravel in chicken run
Add some retaining tiers to roadside bank
create path and steps on roadside bank for people to use the high-path (crosses the end of my property)

That's some of the list..... how much gets done is another matter. :lol:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MrLongbeard wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:26 am Same as the last lockdown, working.
That.

Also packing up my flat and shifting stuff into storage as I'm moving in permanently with my gf. :)
non quod, sed quomodo
ace llani

Post by ace llani »

I'll be getting out on the Welsh twisties, as we are out of lockdown on Monday :crazy:
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Lego? I'm not 12 :crazy:

Working on my poetry. ;)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Back to the knitting I suppose. 🧶
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

knock me up a scarf for winter.