Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by v8-powered »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:40 pm
YouTube keeps nagging me to go 'Premium' to avoid adverts. So, basically, if you have the £ you can avoid the adverts. Meanwhile the advertisers are looking for people to buy stuff. Take this to the logical conclusion and the advertisers are paying a lot of £€$¥₩ to advertise to people that can't afford to avoid the :angry-cussingblack: adverts. Just how much are they going to spend on stuff that's pushed at them?
I subscribe to YouTube Premium but via Turkey (Turkiye now?), costs about a quid per month.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

A dodgy debit on my Barclays bank account from Deliveroo.

Never used them, so called the bank who instantly cancelled my card and refunded me, so fair play.

Not sure how my card details were obtained as I'm pretty canny, but such is life. Annoying, but hey ho.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

gremlin wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:37 pm A dodgy debit on my Barclays bank account from Deliveroo.

Never used them, so called the bank who instantly cancelled my card and refunded me, so fair play.

Not sure how my card details were obtained as I'm pretty canny, but such is life. Annoying, but hey ho.
I fell out of love with them when I ordered a load of booze to a friends house, got charged and it never turned up.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:40 pm This isn't really a BYP, more of a :wtf:

YouTube keeps nagging me to go 'Premium' to avoid adverts. So, basically, if you have the £ you can avoid the adverts. Meanwhile the advertisers are looking for people to buy stuff. Take this to the logical conclusion and the advertisers are paying a lot of £€$¥₩ to advertise to people that can't afford to avoid the :angry-cussingblack: adverts. Just how much are they going to spend on stuff that's pushed at them?

(Even if you pay, various channels are sponsored and push stuff at you midstream so you'll get advertised at).

I assume, like Instagram, they'll gradually make it unusable....but Instagram hasn't started shilling for subscriptions from casual users....yet.
We’ve just switched packages on Netflix to their cheapest offering which includes adverts, barely noticeable but I’d rather have the few quid saving in my pocket. YouTube is starting to take the piss in terms of number of adverts, I just hope the content creators at least get a slice, which is why I won’t pay for the premium content and don’t skip them on the channels I enjoy watching.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Youtube ads are getting irritating but I won't go premium as we all use different Google accounts.
The popups for premium are far more irritating than the ads.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mussels wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:47 pm Youtube ads are getting irritating but I won't go premium as we all use different Google accounts.
The popups for premium are far more irritating than the ads.
I listen to youtube music on my smart speaker, but that 'murky holes' advert gets right on my tits.

Sonos Radio stations have one advert every 15 hours, so Sonos Rock Road Trip is king now. I assume you have to have a Sonos device to listen to it tho'
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:48 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:40 pm YouTube keeps nagging me to go 'Premium' to avoid adverts
Ad blockers take care of that, although they're supposed to be cracking down on them again
On my TV? I'm not sure how I install ad blockers on that.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I guess we're pretty neat on here. No ads, but it does all live or die on subscriptions and donations. It's nice to be old school. :D

I left YouTube running on the TV while I cooked...came back in to be confronted with adverts for Amazon. I mean, really? Amazon? :roll:
Voltaire
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:56 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:40 pm YouTube keeps nagging me to go 'Premium' to avoid adverts
Ad blockers take care of that, although they're supposed to be cracking down on them again
I'm sure there are ways, but buggered if I know I only use it on the PC.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:12 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:56 pm

I'm sure there are ways, but buggered if I know I only use it on the PC.
It doesn't really matter that much to me tbh. The YT things I've been watching on the TV* recently don't get enough views to attract adverts. I just find the shitification of the internet a bit odd/outside my general frame of reference. ie you can pay to ignore our other paying customers :crazy:

*Road Dreams :thumbup:
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

You could try using AdGuard, it's quite good. Edit your router's DNS to use their addresses.

https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:22 pm You could try using AdGuard, it's quite good. Edit your router's DNS to use their addresses.

As I said Chris, it doesn't bother me much, just confuses me. One lot of customers can pay so they don't see what other customers are paying so that people see it. On the one hand it's having your cake and eating it, on the other it's annoying ALL your customers. It's an odd business model.
Voltaire
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:33 pm
ChrisW wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:22 pm You could try using AdGuard, it's quite good. Edit your router's DNS to use their addresses.

As I said Chris, it doesn't bother me much, just confuses me. One lot of customers can pay so they don't see what other customers are paying so that people see it. On the one hand it's having your cake and eating it, on the other it's annoying ALL your customers. It's an odd business model.
It's a valid point, Google's effectively telling advertisers that they're only willing to sell them their lower-grade customers. So far.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ChrisW wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:55 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:33 pm

It's a valid point, Google's effectively telling advertisers that they're only willing to sell them their lower-grade customers. So far.
I think the 'so far' is right. Either these things are advertising platforms where those with the money/inclination can pay not to be 'advertised at' or, more worryingly, they're more interested in manipulating the news/information that we get. Amazon wants to sell stuff inc server capacity, YouTube wants to sell views and gather viewing data.

I wonder if we'll ever get an offer to 'go premium' from FB etc so that we can dodge their news algorithms? I suspect not but the % of people that get their news from them is rising and the % of stuff they quietly suppress is rising. (I'm not even suggesting that they're biased in a particular way...the Spectator, which is a bit out that way ---------> has had satirical covers relating to Biden sin binned, with no discussion available...these platforms don't do discussion). It's all a bit :crazy:

Sorry. Thinking 'out loud' here. :D
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Baby Dazzle, just turned 6, completely out of nowhere this morning...

"It seems to me that Santa couldn't get around the world that fast. I think it's the parents".

I'm all for a skeptical mind, but do they have to grow up that fast?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:53 am Baby Dazzle, just turned 6, completely out of nowhere this morning...

"It seems to me that Santa couldn't get around the world that fast. I think it's the parents".

Bright, pragmatic, kid.

Ask her to help you fix the Trumpet ;) :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:53 am Baby Dazzle, just turned 6, completely out of nowhere this morning...

You think THAT was fast?

Seems only a couple of years ago the Miss CJ was about 6. Her next birthday is now the big 5 0. How did that happen?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

We came to Cornwall with a baby and a toddler. No3, who hadn’t been invented then, has just reached 41. HDTH?

That’s OK, but it’s the corresponding change in OUR ages that Bs my P.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had a free day today so thought I'd visit the multitude of bike shops here.
But I forgot that all bike and car shops close Saturdays :(

Only a minor gripe to me but would be a fucker if you lived here and worked all week.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Sans Permis drivers.
Over here you can drive a noddy car without ever having taken a test/training. Also, if you get banned for dd10, you can literally drive away from the court in one.
However today, I come nose to nose with a SP, held together in best SP fashion with yards of gaffer tape, except she had no concept of sens unique in the car park. After a decent sized queue had built up behind me, I got out and asked her if she had a problem? Turns out she had no reverse gear! Pushed her into a space and was on my way.